Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Q400 Operations out of IAH Begin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
Originally Posted by Halo117
I prefer the RJ145 as you have a 1-2 seating arrangement. I would rather have a single seat with no seatmate than extra legroom.
Agreed. I'm a fat guy. That A row on the 145 is wonderful. I get to fly without feeling like I'm inconveniencing everyone else.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by N1120A

The plane isn't a deathtrap at all. Colgan's policies are what are problematic.
Agreed.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Well do these Q400s have window shades?

I prefer the RJ145 as you have a 1-2 seating arrangement. I would rather have a single seat with no seatmate than extra legroom. Plus speed and altitude become a factor as far as passenger comfort.
Yup...ERJ145>>>>Q400.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Plus speed and altitude become a factor as far as passenger comfort.
Agreed on that, except for most, if not all, of the routes they're flying these planes on, the speed and altitude differences aren't all that relevant. A Q400 flies at about the same altitude and speed as an ERJ on many of these shorter hops.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
I'd rather walk than get on one of those Colgan deathtraps.
Same here...Colgan/the plane whatever....not going to happen
Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Renard

Have fun walking.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:23 am

Programs: UA-1K w/2MM & lifetime U-Club; Marriott-Lifetime Titanium; IHG-Diamond; National-Exec. Elite
Colgan has had one crash that included fatalities (Buffalo) since the company was founded in 1991 (two if you include a repositioning flight that didn't have any passengers aboard).

Deathtraps? Hardly.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:32 am

Programs: UA-1K MM+, HH Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Renard
I agree. My $800+ fares to LFT and BTR won't be happening if this aircraft is the only option.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Steve GadFly
Colgan has had one crash that included fatalities (Buffalo) since the company was founded in 1991 (two if you include a repositioning flight that didn't have any passengers aboard).

Deathtraps? Hardly.
+1 ^ If you noticed my point a page earlier I said the same thing
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Steve GadFly

Deathtraps? Hardly.
Irrelevant because Colgan was expanding way too fast for its management and safety measures at the time of the crash. It doesn't matter if it has a perfect safety record before. It WAS a death trap around the time of the crash.

You may have a better argument if you say they've improved since the BUF crash; since they haven't crashed since.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
My experience on the Q400. I flew on the Q400 for the first time a few days ago from Dallas Love Field to Houston and I have to say it was one of the worst flights I have ever been on. I heard people say the Q400 is quiet, but the flight I was on it anything but and it vibrated so much nothing would stay on the tray in one spot and I have the video proof to back it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9pAblxauV0

Watch my cranberry juice, water, pretzels, and napkins slide across the tray from the vibration of the propeller. This thing was shaking and rattling at least it wasn't rolling or else I wouldn’t be able to post this. You can hear it in my voice. It’s jumpy cause of the vibration. I do over a hundred flights a year and never have my drinks and stuff move across the tray because of the plane vibration. This plane was super LOUD!!!!!!! A panel was losing on the ceiling and it was rattling like the plastic clappers at baseball games.

The worst part about all this as once on the ground I was partially deaf; you know how your ears feels after being in a dance club or concert. If I didn’t have a return flight on the Q400, this would be the last time I fly it. This was a horrible experience. Vibrations and noises were insane. I couldn’t even sleep on the plane and I’m the type of person that soon as I sit down on a plane I’m out.

I'm glad for the added capacity to DAL, but the noise was unbearable to my ears. I will NEVER complain about the ERJ ever again. The flight I took right after the Q400 was an ERJ and the difference was night and day. If the Q400 was the only type of plane Continental flew between Dallas and Houston, I will start looking at other airlines. I have flown almost exclusively with Continental since 1998.

Last edited by CO777DAL; Mar 1, 2011 at 1:42 pm
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Not to mention that the Q400 is designed and built in Canada.

And flown daily by Widere in much worse conditions
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Originally Posted by CO777DAL
My experience on the Q400. I flew on the Q400 for the first time a few days ago from Dallas Love Field to Houston and I have to say it was one of the worst flights I have ever been on. I heard people say the Q400 is quiet, but the flight I was on it anything but and it vibrated so much nothing would stay on the tray in one spot and I have the video proof to back it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9pAblxauV0

Watch my cranberry juice, water, pretzels, and napkins slide across the tray from the vibration of the propeller. This thing was shaking and rattling at least it wasn't rolling or else I wouldnt be able to post this. You can hear it in my voice. Its jumpy cause of the vibration. I do over a hundred flights a year and never have my drinks and stuff move across the tray because of the plane vibration. This plane was super LOUD!!!!!!! A panel was losing on the ceiling and it was rattling like the plastic clappers at baseball games.

The worst part about all this as once on the ground I was partially deaf; you know how your ears feels after being in a dance club or concert. If I didnt have a return flight on the Q400, this would be the last time I fly it. This was a horrible experience. Vibrations and noises were insane. I couldnt even sleep on the plane and Im the type of person that soon as I sit down on a plane Im out.

I'm glad for the added capacity to DAL, but the noise was unbearable to my ears. I will NEVER complain about the ERJ ever again. The flight I took right after the Q400 was an ERJ and the difference was night and day. If the Q400 was the only type of plane Continental flew between Dallas and Houston, I will start looking at other airlines. I have flown almost exclusively with Continental since 1998.
Q400s are pretty quiet in general, but with Colgan's maintenance record, I'm not surprised that their planes are noisy.
A Q400 maintained by Colgan is like a car with poor wheel alignment - noisy and a potential deathtrap.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I'll take the ERJ-145 over the Q400 any day for a number of reasons......
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Vunder31
Q400s are pretty quiet in general, but with Colgan's maintenance record, I'm not surprised that their planes are noisy.
A Q400 maintained by Colgan is like a car with poor wheel alignment - noisy and a potential deathtrap.
Actually it's nothing like that. Is this a subject you have some knowledge of? I would presume so, since you so assertively make comments like "a potential deathtrap" - what's this based on specifically, with regards to maintenance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.