Search

Q400 Operations out of IAH Begin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Q400 Operations out of IAH Begin

Not sure if anyone noticed but yesterday a few Q400s were ferried to IAH.

Here's one.

Not sure if the route to DAL is an operational route or a test run. Supposedly commercial service starts today, but could just be rumor.

I believe they are operating out of UA's old gates in Terminal A. I'll be at IAH today so I'll try to confirm.

Last edited by Hartmann; Jan 13, 2011 at 8:49 am
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:49 am

Searching for DH4 in the pdf timetable suggests that commercial ops begin with two daily TUL-IAH rotations on Tuesday 2/1, and no other IAH ops show before the timetable ends on 2/5, so maybe commercial ops haven't started yet?

Otherwise the pdf timetable isn't right. (Surprise, surprise, if so, but they did just upload it yesterday.)
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
I knew it was coming, but hadn't paid attention to notice that they were starting already. I thought it was late January/early February.

From what I've heard, once the new gates for the Colgan Saabs open up in the near future, the Q400 operations will use the jetways on the north side of A that had been used by Colgan for the buses to their Saabs.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ssullivan
I knew it was coming, but hadn't paid attention to notice that they were starting already. I thought it was late January/early February.

From what I've heard, once the new gates for the Colgan Saabs open up in the near future, the Q400 operations will use the jetways on the north side of A that had been used by Colgan for the buses to their Saabs.
That makes sense. The Q400 is a much bigger bird than the Saabs so I figured they wouldn't operate them from the hard stands.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yellow77
Searching for DH4 in the pdf timetable suggests that commercial ops begin with two daily TUL-IAH rotations on Tuesday 2/1, and no other IAH ops show before the timetable ends on 2/5, so maybe commercial ops haven't started yet?

Otherwise the pdf timetable isn't right. (Surprise, surprise, if so, but they did just upload it yesterday.)
Interesting. So maybe these are simply familiarization flights. IAH-DAL and IAH-TUL are two of the routes that have been announced. I thought I saw IAH-LBB as well.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Interesting. So maybe these are simply familiarization flights. IAH-DAL and IAH-TUL are two of the routes that have been announced. I thought I saw IAH-LBB as well.
I have seen IAH-SAT as well, replacing a current XJT flight.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
DAL/TUL doing some proving runs and familiarization for employees.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Maybe they are moving them to IAH for the winter because they are not safe enough to fly during winter months in Northeast :-:
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Hartmann
That makes sense. The Q400 is a much bigger bird than the Saabs so I figured they wouldn't operate them from the hard stands.
Yep. The wings on that thing mean that it takes up almost as much gate width as a 737.

I'll be thrilled to no longer have to deal with buses on the Saab flights. Operating the Q400s out of A will also relieve some pressure on B (since those flights are replacing ERJ flights) and probably result in a much busier A PC.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rolov
Maybe they are moving them to IAH for the winter because they are not safe enough to fly during winter months in Northeast :-:
Nope. They've been planning for some of the newly delivered Q400s to end up at IAH all along. CO is increasing the size of that fleet with some new deliveries. The EWR flights will continue on.

Many airlines operate the Q400 in far snowier and icier places than what CO does out of EWR.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Nope. They've been planning for some of the newly delivered Q400s to end up at IAH all along. CO is increasing the size of that fleet with some new deliveries. The EWR flights will continue on.

Many airlines operate the Q400 in far snowier and icier places than what CO does out of EWR.
It was a joke
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was a joke
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Indeed........
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:53 pm

Programs: CO Plat
... Hmmm ... I can't tell how many lie-flat seats there are on this plane.

... And where's the menu for premium cocktails ?
Old Jan 13, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA CK, DL PLT, HH DIA, MARRIOTT PLT, FAIRMONT LT PLT, HYATT DIA, SIXT PLT, AVIS PC
Its a sad day for IAH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.