Old Jan 13, 2011, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Why is everyone so sad? Q400 I feel have MORE leg room then even some 737s in Y

Edit:well other then FC, but they are replacing ERJ

Last edited by dinoscool3; Jan 13, 2011 at 6:41 pm Reason: stupidity
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dinoscool3

Other than row 12 and 1A on the ERJ, most seats on the Q400 are more comfortable than most seats on the ERJs. The overhead bins are also slightly larger (even more so on the newly delivered next generation Q400s), and those of us who are tall can actually stand upright in the aisle of a Q400 (the only regional aircraft with a higher ceiling is the EMB-170/190 series).

I really don't mind this aircraft at all. In fact, I kind of like flying on it, provided the flight isn't too long (under 350-400 miles).
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
I'd rather walk than get on one of those Colgan deathtraps.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
Looks like the IAH->JAN flights have been replaced with Colgan and the Q400. I actually liked the Expressjet ERJ145s.

I need to fly there in February for a CLE. Delta has tickets for $40 less that don't involve flying on Colgan. I have a feeling that this Pres. Plat. will be earning Skypesos on this next trip.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
IAH-MFE was also another route that was announced. Q400 service is said to start Feb. 13.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:45 pm

Programs: Onepass Plat
Agree with the sentiment above that these planes can be perfectly fine, especially compared to the alternatives. The problem is they'll be run by Colgan, which has shown itself to be as reliable a travel partner as a drug addict paying his rent.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Vermando
Agree with the sentiment above that these planes can be perfectly fine, especially compared to the alternatives. The problem is they'll be run by Colgan, which has shown itself to be as reliable a travel partner as a drug addict paying his rent.
I hove flown colgan many times recently, and theres was nothin wrong. One accident, and they are terrible
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I hove flown colgan many times recently, and theres was nothin wrong. One accident, and they are terrible
Have you watched the Frontline program "Flying Cheap" on PBS?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
aree 100%. No one probably thought twice about flying them prior to the BUF accident.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: Onepass Plat
Apologies for my hyperbolic language. I wasn't speaking specifically about safety issues. Rather, I was talking about their on-time rates, and then CO's inability to adapt.

I fly out of small markets. The express jet flights are much more reliable than the colgan flights, and I had the same experience when I lived near and flew out of EWR to smaller markets. Colgan was routinely unreliable, often drastically so with hour+ delays even when there was no discernible weather problem and the express jet, mainline flights, and regional jet flights with other airlines were running fine.

Maybe this is just due to flying ERJs v. Saabs, but it has been my consistent experience and leads me to avoid Colgan like the plague. Any increase in their operations - in frequency of their flights or a change which allows them to fly larger planes and carry more passengers - is a negative to me.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Vermando
Maybe this is just due to flying ERJs v. Saabs, but it has been my consistent experience and leads me to avoid Colgan like the plague. Any increase in their operations - in frequency of their flights or a change which allows them to fly larger planes and carry more passengers - is a negative to me.
Part of that experience, especially if you're talking about Colgan out of IAH, was the Saabs. Those planes are really showing their age, and maintenance delays aren't uncommon on them. They also don't handle certain weather conditions as well as the ERJs.

The Q400 isn't an ERJ, but it does have better reliability and is more capable in more types of weather than the Saabs.

As for Colgan, from a purely customer service point of view (I'm not talking safety issues or perceived safety issues here), they have dramatically improved in the last couple of years. I've not had any bad flights with them, and their ground staff at IAH, as well as the crews on board, seem to be much improved over what they were when they first took over the turboprop routes out of IAH.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by rolov
Maybe they are moving them to IAH for the winter because they are not safe enough to fly during winter months in Northeast :-:
Kind of unfunny

Originally Posted by ssullivan
Nope. They've been planning for some of the newly delivered Q400s to end up at IAH all along. CO is increasing the size of that fleet with some new deliveries. The EWR flights will continue on.

Many airlines operate the Q400 in far snowier and icier places than what CO does out of EWR.
Not to mention that the Q400 is designed and built in Canada.

Originally Posted by benolaa
Its a sad day for IAH.
Why?

Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
I'd rather walk than get on one of those Colgan deathtraps.
The plane isn't a deathtrap at all. Colgan's policies are what are problematic.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN

Well do these Q400s have window shades?

I prefer the RJ145 as you have a 1-2 seating arrangement. I would rather have a single seat with no seatmate than extra legroom. Plus speed and altitude become a factor as far as passenger comfort.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I'll be on one in a few weeks okc-iah. I look forward to it. I flew it for the 1st time last may, ewr-pwm (portland ME...can't remember if that is the correct code?). At any rate, fast and comfortable. Not too hot on flying Colgan though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.