Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arbitration in favor of Continental Pilots

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Is that accurate? The CO incident in DEN a couple years ago was certainly a hull loss, and I believe the final report attributed it to pilot error.
Hull loss typically means that the airplane is totally destroyed, where this one most of it was salvaged, however Continental did write it off because of the structural damage - semantics really beacuse everyone walked off it. My statistic was really referring to a total loss of life on an airplane - no mainline accidents like that, but four regional accidents since 2002 resulting in a total loss of life. Actually I think there was a small baby that survived the Delta Connection Lexington accident.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K on final to 2MM
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
We need to keep things in perspective too.

Plenty of mainline pilots today make about $65k a year. I wonder who out there thinks that is "big money?"

Also, the promise of the bigger salary at the end of a long, grueling career is the incentive that drives young people to fly for airlines like Colgan at McDonald's wages.

Finally, regarding the comments about CEO's pay. Let's not forget that the very first step taken by $mi$ek as CEO od UaCo was to nearly double his own salary, and that of half a dozen of his closest pals.

He also put in place an incentive package, that if the conditions are met, would pay the 32 or so top executives of the company $60 million.

The next step was to violate the company's CBA with its pilots and bring in UaEx planes to CO.

And the next step will be to eliminate E+.

When Smisek talks about "changes you will like" in his greeting video, I think he made a mistake on the script, which actually read:

"changes I will like."

That's all...just a little one word error...
Seems the arbitration only means UACO can't label the CoEX flights as CO flights which results in an inconvenience to CO customers having to book as a UA flight. Not sure what this group of ALPA pilots really accomplished as the contested flights can/will be operated without the CO label.

Last edited by bankerflyer; Jan 3, 2011 at 2:21 pm
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by tallywacker
Actually I think there was a small baby that survived the Delta Connection Lexington accident.
The First Officer survived with brain damage.

Okay, how about non-anectodal evidence. From the NTSB website: since 2002, there have been no mainline accidents resulting in a complete hull loss, however there have been 4 regional airline accidents which resulted in a loss of all passengers and crew on board.
Nice data picking. What happens if you pick a start date of 2001?

Here http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Hull_Loss is a definition of hull loss. I believe the DEN incident qualifies.

David

Last edited by DiverDave; Jan 3, 2011 at 2:27 pm
Old Jan 3, 2011, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Hull loss typically means that the airplane is totally destroyed
Hull loss means just that, the hull is lost (no longer servicable). doesn't mean it exploded hollywood style.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Okay, how about non-anectodal evidence. From the NTSB website: since 2002, there have been no mainline accidents resulting in a complete hull loss, however there have been 4 regional airline accidents which resulted in a loss of all passengers and crew on board.
Last I checked, USAirways 1549 was a complete write-off.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:20 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
AA 331 Kingston, Jamaica. 12/2009.

While not a hull loss, AA 2324 (a 752) that ran 650 feet over the runway into the snow at Jackson Hole the other day was very lucky. The snow probably prevented a real catastrophe.

Last edited by Vulcan; Jan 3, 2011 at 3:28 pm
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by DiverDave
The First Officer survived with brain damage.

Nice data picking. What happens if you pick a start date of 2001?

Here http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Hull_Loss is a definition of hull loss. I believe the DEN incident qualifies.

David
Starting in 2001 you would have to include American that crashed in Rockaway. (I'm assuming you wouldn't attribute the 4 hijacked airliners to pilot error) - still a ratio of 4 to 1.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by DXjr
Last I checked, USAirways 1549 was a complete write-off.
no fatalities
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Let's not forget that the very first step taken by $mi$ek as CEO . . . .
What do you expect from an ex-V&E lawyer?
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:30 pm

[QUOTE=Vulcan;15574942]AA 331 Kingston, Jamaica. 12/2009.

no fatalities
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
no fatalities
And? It was still a hull loss. You said that there were NO hull losses at a mainline carrier since 2004. You've been proven wrong, not once, but 3 times.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Starting in 2001 you would have to include American that crashed in Rockaway. (I'm assuming you wouldn't attribute the 4 hijacked airliners to pilot error) - still a ratio of 4 to 1.
I do mean that American flight, and not the others.

Now, what's the casualty count of the 4 versus the 1?

David
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:55 pm

Pardon me. I misspoke. Okay, how about non-anectodal evidence. From the NTSB website: since 2002, there have been no mainline accidents resulting in the loss of the lives of all on board, however there have been 4 regional airline accidents which resulted in a loss of all passengers and crew on board.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
A ratio of 4 to 1 what?

Your first problem is that out of about a billion flights per decade, 4 and 1 are both essentially 0. There are also a lot more regional airlines flights per day than mainline flights, so even all things equal, you'd expect a ratio of about 2 to 1.

Your second problem assumes that all equipment is equal. Mainline aircraft have more and better systems to prevent them from crashing, and are also less susceptible to crashing due to things like ice on wings.

And to be completely economically rational about it, it doesn't make economic sense to pay the mainline pilots what they are paid over the regional pilots for two reasons:

1) Even as a straight math problem, the additional money paid to the mainline pilots isn't worth preventing the two crashes.
2) Even if it was, and even if higher pay made a difference, you would be better off paying all pilots the same average wage and paying the regional pilots more. No pilot making $30k/yr is almost certainly better than some pilots making 150k+.

Last edited by raehl311; Jan 3, 2011 at 6:49 pm
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:09 pm

Like watching a school of piranhas chew on a leg of beef......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.