Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation for Direct TV down

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steph3n
giving anything more than 100 FF miles for DirectTV not working (when not paid $6 for it, refund if paid) is corporate insanity.
At the minimum and first step an apology and acknowledgment of the failure should at least be made by CO on board.

Person next to me asked the FA what the problem was and the response was 'I don't know, it is working for some people'. It was the people watching 'Everone hates Chris' stored on board the plane. Pretty bad when the passengers know more than the staff
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORD4R
On United when I have had situations like this, there has always been unsolicited compensation as a token of apology for their failure to provide the product as advertised. It has ranged from 8,000 freq flier miles to a free international upgrade for the in flight entertainment not working or not working properly.

It is my opinion that Continental has a very nice product when things all go well, but when they have a problem they seem to think because they tried to do a good job that is all that is owed to the customer. They are slow to acknowledge their failures and compensate passengers with good will gestures and apologies.

From someone who only flies 25,000 miles on CO each year as UA is my primary carrier. CO does seem to have a certain corporate arrogance, in they tout their advantages and quality (i.e. the most professional...) but are slow to admit and rectify their mistakes.

Hopefully the merger will create a airline which most of the time does an excellent job, but when there is a problem, acknowledges it and compensates the customer for the problem.
Well thought out post and i really respect your wisdom. Thank you
Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:55 pm

Programs: CO 1 Ply
Originally Posted by mike_asia
I am the customer and I am the one to decide that, not CO.

I don't care how much it costs me to fight this i will carry it forward at any cost. Sick and tired of being bullied around by US based airlines
You could move to Europe... or Asia...
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by unkfrank
You could move to Europe... or Asia...
Or fly UA... not much chance of broken DirecTV service on those planes
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Why do I feel like I'm in a bad Seinfeld episode?
mike_asia table for four, that will be about five ten minutes
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Or fly UA... not much chance of broken DirecTV service on those planes
But UA does have a real First Class on international flights.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by thaliajen
but I didn't get reimbursed b/c CO said on its PDA that a movie would be shown. Maybe if they'd said "A movie will be shown and your audio WILL work" I could've griped, but that's just that.
Are you SERIUS???? You cant frikkin be for real!!!

I don't remember seeing that the WING will stay ATTACHED during the WHOLE flight, but that is implied. I don't remember seeing that the ENGINES won't blow apart inflight, but that is implied. Jeez...

I am in the compensation camp-feeling in the 2K-5Kmiles range.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Aug 24, 2010 at 6:36 am Reason: Fixed UBB code
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:31 pm

Programs: Mlife Plat,Total Rewards Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents C
Originally Posted by plemos
The toilet flush on my last flight with Mongolian Airlines was broken… can I get a compensation?
The crosswords in the in-flight magazine of my flight from Dakar to Malabo with Senegal Airlines were already done… can I get a compensation?

Why some people are so obsessed with compensations?
...because some of us are also UA 1Ks and feel very valued when UA offers us a $250 voucher when they mess up - including when Audio or Video doesn't work. It's a gesture that sends a message to the customer that the airline really is sorry, and mine usually also includes an e-mail that explains what happened (if applicable - ie miscatered flight) and what steps they took to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

In all serisousness though, they should at least take the time to read your complaint and send you back an apology, and explanation if possible, and what steps they took to correct or prevent future instances of the incident. I think they really do "owe us" that much at the MINIMUM.

ALSO remember that we ALWAYS compensate the airline when WE mess up. If I miss a flight because at the last minute I have to work 5 hours for an emergency during the boarding time, i pay $150 to rebook on a later flight. If I accidentally pack more than the allowed weight in my checked bag I have to compensate CO with cash. The airlines charge us for every possible thing that we "mess up" so it SHOULD work both ways! Take away all the extra fees and leave the fares the same and then I will gladly shutup and never complain with expectation of compensation again.

The better question is why are airlines so obcessed with nickel and diming us to death with fees for every little thing they can think of? There are other ways - Southwest does it... although I don't like their product.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by HunterSFO
...because some of us are also UA 1Ks and feel very valued when UA offers us a $250 voucher when they mess up - including when Audio or Video doesn't work. It's a gesture that sends a message to the customer that the airline really is sorry, and mine usually also includes an e-mail that explains what happened (if applicable - ie miscatered flight) and what steps they took to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

In all serisousness though, they should at least take the time to read your complaint and send you back an apology, and explanation if possible, and what steps they took to correct or prevent future instances of the incident. I think they really do "owe us" that much at the MINIMUM.

ALSO remember that we ALWAYS compensate the airline when WE mess up. If I miss a flight because at the last minute I have to work 5 hours for an emergency during the boarding time, i pay $150 to rebook on a later flight. If I accidentally pack more than the allowed weight in my checked bag I have to compensate CO with cash. The airlines charge us for every possible thing that we "mess up" so it SHOULD work both ways! Take away all the extra fees and leave the fares the same and then I will gladly shutup and never complain with expectation of compensation again.
The audio and video did work, from recorded content, plus it will happen again, many more times.

the antennas are defective in some manner and being replaced ASAP.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 5:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

...because some of us are also UA 1Ks and feel very valued when UA offers us a $250 voucher when they mess up - including when Audio or Video doesn't work. It's a gesture that sends a message to the customer that the airline really is sorry,
And if they were really sorry they'd actually fix the problems instead of just handing out a disproportionally large amount of compensation for things. Even if one assumes the breakage rate on all those vouchers is 80%, I'd much rather they spend the $50 on actually solving the problem than on the rather hollow gesture of throwing money at someone to shut them up from complaining.

ALSO remember that we ALWAYS compensate the airline when WE mess up. If I miss a flight because at the last minute I have to work 5 hours for an emergency during the boarding time, i pay $150 to rebook on a later flight. If I accidentally pack more than the allowed weight in my checked bag I have to compensate CO with cash.
Only if you choose to under pay for your ticket in the first place. If you pay full price then you can change for free and you get a different baggage allowance.

Take away all the extra fees and leave the fares the same and then I will gladly shutup and never complain with expectation of compensation again.
You will have a much different set of circumstances to complain about as the airlines will go out of business if they continue to draw less revenue than they spend to operate. Good luck with that plan.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:14 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
And if they were really sorry they'd actually fix the problems instead of just handing out a disproportionally large amount of compensation for things. Even if one assumes the breakage rate on all those vouchers is 80%, I'd much rather they spend the $50 on actually solving the problem than on the rather hollow gesture of throwing money at someone to shut them up from complaining.

Only if you choose to under pay for your ticket in the first place. If you pay full price then you can change for free and you get a different baggage allowance.

You will have a much different set of circumstances to complain about as the airlines will go out of business if they continue to draw less revenue than they spend to operate. Good luck with that plan.

There you go, being the voice of reason again.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:26 am

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
B6 and not working TV

Originally Posted by trm2
There you go, being the voice of reason again.
When I flew B6 the last time they said the TV's were not working correctly (and gave me a 15$ flight credit ) (The TV's worked fine for the whole trip). I think if the TV do not work at all you get a 25$ credit. You can use this as an argument to try to get compensation . The last time I flew CO the TV's were not working but I did not ask for compensation (I thought about it ) as I had the foresight to bring a book and the not working TV saved me 6$. When CO puts the TV's on the front page of the website as part of the Continental Experience then you should ask for compensation.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by plemos

Why some people are so obsessed with compensations?
They are getting ready for the meger with UA. The next stop is very everyone to recite their status before every post.

Last edited by gawhite411; Aug 24, 2010 at 8:25 am
Old Aug 24, 2010, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bearkatt
over on the united board, they seem to get comped for any and everything.
Have you spent any time at the UA forum? They comp so much because they're probably terrified of their customers.

To the OP: welcome back! ^
Old Aug 24, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
There are always glitches when things are based on inflight technology. That's why they have the channels that are stored on them. If that is not an acceptable option, then I'd say you should bring your own entertainment, or only fly on airlines with 100% guaranteed entertainment uptime.

I'd say the compensation you deserve, is a free beverage on your next CO F flight.
For all of those who say that compenstation shouldn't be given for something free in F is a little shortsighted. If this had occured during a BF flight and the entertainment system wasn't working would you say the same thing? Your logic suggests (its free and CO didn't guarantee for it to work) this stance should be apply to all IFE flights while aggrivating paid travelers who may have chosen CO for the IFE.

The customer could have paid full fare for the seat so in essence paid for the DTV service. Offering a product (even if its included) and not delivering is still failing to deliver a product. Now i'm not for compensating every little thing, but I have to say this thread sounds like the ones found in the AA forum. I don't even care who the poster is as this type of service shortfall effects all CO travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.