Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation for Direct TV down

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by mike_asia
i would like to request for this topic to be closed. I have enough information and i have made my decision. thanks
LOL! This is actually the best thing you've ever posted. I also love it how you always point out how many people PM you to give you the virtual pat on the back. Its kind of like how my richest friends are the ones who talk about money the least...
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
had a recent round trip on CO.

1) CO website showed Direct TV on the flight with complimentary service to F
2) it was announced before the flight that it had direct TV

It was a direct TV flight.

On the outbound the service was in and out, could not watch a program except for the ones stored on the plane, the Direct TV channels did not work

On the return the Direct TV got zero signal, again only the stored programs would work the entire flight.

Since this is an advertised feature, can I get compensation for this or should I dispute the credit card charge?
Well, I was wondering what happened to you.....

No live programming and vomit in the front cabin.....

As you were in F, I fail to comprehend why you think you're entitled to compensation - at least there was some entertainment offered.

Recommend you try flying on AA for awhile and see how that goes......I'm sure the AAdvantage/Oneworld folks would love to hear all about it.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:01 pm

Let me ask you, how do you feel when the CO FA's cut in front of you in the security line? Does any other industry put the employees in front of the customers. Same thing and I am sick of it.
There is no 'putting employees in front of the customers'. This is our workplace. Security is the front door to our work place. I'm really sick of getting hassled when I'm just trying to get to my workplace!

'Any other industry' doesn't demand we ALL go through security!

And what other industry expects their employees to line up behind 50, 100, 200 of their customers to get to their office??

Anyone that really has a clue about the airline industry (and doesn't have a DYKWIA mentality) knows why the flight crews (and airport employees) have priority.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
I am the customer and I am the one to decide that, not CO.

I don't care how much it costs me to fight this i will carry it forward at any cost. Sick and tired of being bullied around by US based airlines
Guess what? If you walk into any major office building in NYC you will have to wait in line at security while the people who actually work there can come and go as they please. Isnt that something?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jpsboo
As long as you don't consider "government" an industry. I have not-so-fond memories of the Pentagon and other heavily-secured office buildings in and around DC...

The point remains, though, that badged employees walk right through the security checkpoint with a wave, while visitors undergo more deliberate scrutiny. This is fairly standard practice in any building or area with controlled access. I see no reasons for airlines and airports to operate any differently.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
Guess what? If you walk into any major office building in NYC you will have to wait in line at security while the people who actually work there can come and go as they please. Isnt that something?
What? Outrageous. They should be compensated for having to wait in line, with snacks and beverages, plus a free headset to listen to elevator music on the way up to their floor.

But they have to return the headset upon exiting, that's the deal.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
LOL! This is actually the best thing you've ever posted. I also love it how you always point out how many people PM you to give you the virtual pat on the back. Its kind of like how my richest friends are the ones who talk about money the least...
Is it lonely at the TOP Big Poppa. what that name you should know that
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpsboo
There is no 'putting employees in front of the customers'. This is our workplace. Security is the front door to our work place. I'm really sick of getting hassled when I'm just trying to get to my workplace!

And what other industry expects their employees to line up behind 50, 100, 200 of their customers to get to their office??

Anyone that really has a clue about the airline industry (and doesn't have a DYKWIA mentality) knows why the flight crews (and airport employees) have priority.
What makes you think I am not on my way to work while waiting in line? Traveling 8 hours one way to get to a workplace, not everyone at the airport is going to disneyland. Why should you cut in front of me? CO should provide your own line at least in the hubs.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'd like compensation for the three minutes of my life that I just wasted reading this thread.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bearkatt
over on the united board, they seem to get comped for any and everything.
And then they wonder why that airline couldn't afford to clean the interiors of its planes a couple of years ago.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Why should you cut in front of me?
You should also keep in mind that a number of crews are on minimum overnights,which does not guarantee 8 hours of actual sleep. If a crew gets 6 hours of sleep instead of 5 and a half because they can cut in line, I'm all for it. The rest of us can snooze when we get on the plane, not so for the crews.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Let me remind everyone that discussion of moderation, user suspensions, and the like is not allowed per the FlyerTalk Terms Of Service.

Xyzzy
CO forum moderator
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N965VJ
You should also keep in mind that a number of crews are on minimum overnights,which does not guarantee 8 hours of actual sleep. If a crew gets 6 hours of sleep instead of 5 and a half because they can cut in line, I'm all for it. The rest of us can snooze when we get on the plane, not so for the crews.
It is just frustrating to be waiting in line and then see people jump the line. Everyone has their own problems, lack of sleep, etc. Again the solution would be a separate line for airline employees.

I have never said anything but based on some of the posts some CUSTOMERS do say something
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
Perhaps you should fly United

On United when I have had situations like this, there has always been unsolicited compensation as a token of apology for their failure to provide the product as advertised. It has ranged from 8,000 freq flier miles to a free international upgrade for the in flight entertainment not working or not working properly.

It is my opinion that Continental has a very nice product when things all go well, but when they have a problem they seem to think because they tried to do a good job that is all that is owed to the customer. They are slow to acknowledge their failures and compensate passengers with good will gestures and apologies.

From someone who only flies 25,000 miles on CO each year as UA is my primary carrier. CO does seem to have a certain corporate arrogance, in they tout their advantages and quality (i.e. the most professional...) but are slow to admit and rectify their mistakes.

Hopefully the merger will create a airline which most of the time does an excellent job, but when there is a problem, acknowledges it and compensates the customer for the problem.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by ORD4R
On United when I have had situations like this, there has always been unsolicited compensation as a token of apology for their failure to provide the product as advertised. It has ranged from 8,000 freq flier miles to a free international upgrade for the in flight entertainment not working or not working properly.

It is my opinion that Continental has a very nice product when things all go well, but when they have a problem they seem to think because they tried to do a good job that is all that is owed to the customer. They are slow to acknowledge their failures and compensate passengers with good will gestures and apologies.

From someone who only flies 25,000 miles on CO each year as UA is my primary carrier. CO does seem to have a certain corporate arrogance, in they tout their advantages and quality (i.e. the most professional...) but are slow to admit and rectify their mistakes.

Hopefully the merger will create a airline which most of the time does an excellent job, but when there is a problem, acknowledges it and compensates the customer for the problem.
giving anything more than 100 FF miles for DirectTV not working (when not paid $6 for it, refund if paid) is corporate insanity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.