Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation for Direct TV down

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA, Hertz, Avis, Marriott, Hilton HH
I complained about the same thing when the Direct TV's were first rolled out. A few days later, Smisek shows up at my door with a 57" plasma TV, a 1 yr. subscription to DirecTV and a bouquet of fresh-cut flowers with a card reading, 'Continental apologizes for the inconvenience you had to endure on your recent flight. Please accept this 57" token as a way of saying "Thank You" for your business".

I think they still do that but you better hurry because the deadline to file your complaint is...uh...let me look...oooooh, sorry. It was yesterday.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:48 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
over on the united board, they seem to get comped for any and everything.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
There are always glitches when things are based on inflight technology. That's why they have the channels that are stored on them. If that is not an acceptable option, then I'd say you should bring your own entertainment, or only fly on airlines with 100% guaranteed entertainment uptime.

I'd say the compensation you deserve, is a free beverage on your next CO F flight.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mike_asia
You are right. I was raised to take responsibility for my own actions and everything that happens around me. CO does not.
Being responsible does not necessarily mean compensation, especially not the often disproportional compensation that some airline customers seem to think they are due. The two are often confused which is too bad, since the difference is actually significant in many cases.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I agree that it's not a compensation issue, but there's no reason to be rude, sarcastic or condescending. This is why people are now staying away from FT. It's so easy to poke fun from behind a computer screen.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Being responsible does not necessarily mean compensation, especially not the often disproportional compensation that some airline customers seem to think they are due. The two are often confused which is too bad, since the difference is actually significant in many cases.
I am the customer and I am the one to decide that, not CO.

I don't care how much it costs me to fight this i will carry it forward at any cost. Sick and tired of being bullied around by US based airlines
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something

I don't care how much it costs me to fight this i will carry it forward at any cost. Sick and tired of being bullied around by US based airlines
Why do I feel like I'm in a bad Seinfeld episode?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus

I've gotta hand it to you, Mike. You are very entertaining!
Your tongue is well acquainted with your cheek, isn't it??
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lindaiah
I've gotta hand it to you, Mike. You are very entertaining!
Your tongue is well acquainted with your cheek, isn't it??
Let me ask you, how do you feel when the CO FA's cut in front of you in the security line? Does any other industry put the employees in front of the customers. Same thing and I am sick of it.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by thaliajen
I agree that it's not a compensation issue, but there's no reason to be rude, sarcastic or condescending. This is why people are now staying away from FT. It's so easy to poke fun from behind a computer screen.

Last edited by Steph3n; Aug 23, 2010 at 1:50 pm
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

i would like to request for this topic to be closed. I have enough information and i have made my decision. thanks
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
He's the headset guy? Didn't know that.

I guess then the best thing to do is not even respond to him. Encouraging that is almost as sad as doing it.

Last edited by thaliajen; Aug 23, 2010 at 1:48 pm
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Pass
Ok I think I figured this out.

DirecTV offers a package of 150+ channels for $30 a month.

That comes to 20 cents per channel, and Continental provides 95 channels which basically means a Continental DirecTV package should cost $19 per month.

I'm guessing your "recent trip" was in August, so that means at a cost of $19 for the month of August (a good deal since you get 31 days) you are getting your DirecTV for 744 hours.

At this rate, you are paying $0.0255 cents per hour of DirecTV television time, and since you were inconvenienced, let's round that up to a solid $0.03 cents per hour.

The next calculation should be the amount of time you spent in your seat. In order to make this fair, you should include all time in the seat from pre-takeoff to landing and taxiing. Since this could be you calculating minutes, you should know that each minute of DirecTV time costs you five one hundreths of a cent.

($0.03 cents per hour or $0.0005 per minute) * Time spent without DirecTV = $payday

Personally, I think you should ask for the final total in drink coupons, or at least a fifth of one of the tickets that you can eventually piece together into 1 drink ticket.

Good luck, because it is very deserved!

Last edited by elonepb; Aug 23, 2010 at 1:46 pm
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Actually, you do not.

But have fun trying.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by thaliajen
He's the headset guy? ...
Yes he is.

Last edited by Steph3n; Aug 23, 2010 at 1:50 pm Reason: editedq

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.