Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Teh Penalty Box

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2010, 3:53 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by ConciergeMike
and I need not explain the reference to airing of grievances.
80% of the 1K's do this daily. The other 20% probably do some Delta flying and we are grateful for what we have when flying UA.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
Originally Posted by msv
After looking at my relocation options this morning I'm leaning towards the south Phoenix area even though I hate the heat. Prices are crazy low for a nice house though. Considering I haven't lived more than 9 miles of my current house this is a huge decision for me.
Phoenix heat > Houston heat.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 3:59 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by photog72
I've melted two pairs of sneakers in my travels so that is not good news. So tempting though to get a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath house with a granite kitchen in a 4 year old house for under 100K.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 4:07 pm

Programs: Back to UA with a bit of Hyatt and some Marriott
Originally Posted by msv
After looking at my relocation options this morning I'm leaning towards the south Phoenix area even though I hate the heat. Prices are crazy low for a nice house though. Considering I haven't lived more than 9 miles of my current house this is a huge decision for me.
Not sure what your options are, but I highly recommend the Texas Hill Country.

In my opinion if you form a rough triangle with Austin at one point, San Antonio at the other, and the intersection of US-290 and I-10 as the third and live anywhere within the triangle you will find bliss.

Someday, likely many moons from now, I hope to get back there. :sigh:
Old Dec 25, 2010, 4:19 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by sbm12
No.

There are plenty of shops owned by folks who are Jewish that are also open on the holy day. Just like there are shops owned by all other religious denominations that are open on their holy days, too. Not all of them are, but it isn't like there is a hard and fast rule out there that must be adhered to.

You are much less likely to find kosher restaurants open Friday night or Saturday due to some of the rabbinical rules surrounding that but there is a rather marked difference between "Jewish" and kosher.
If the store or restaurant owner is "Shomer Shabbas" then they will close the business on Shabbat. However, most are not that religious. On the other hand, they can staff the business with non-Jews and keep it open, since non Jews technically do not have to obey the Sabbath. However, I think that even this is not technically correct since a Jewish owner is suppose to give his non-Jewish employees the Sabbath off anyway. (I, however am not a theologian, so I could be very incorrect on this). I suspect SMB12 is correct in that owners who keep their establishment kosher are probably religious enough to shut it on Shabbas.

I guess I should have made the distinction. Growing up in a heavily Jewish part of south Florida, I know of plenty of Jewish places that were open on Saturday. The ones that adhered to kosher rabbinical laws were closed on Shabbat. Having driven around Meyerland before work, it seems these restaurants were of the latter - closed.
Who knows about Meyerland (I know the area very well having lived there for 10 years). The businesses could be owned by Gentiles who were just closing the place for Christmas.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 4:25 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Driving by DCA
Not sure what your options are, but I highly recommend the Texas Hill Country.

In my opinion if you form a rough triangle with Austin at one point, San Antonio at the other, and the intersection of US-290 and I-10 as the third and live anywhere within the triangle you will find bliss.

Someday, likely many moons from now, I hope to get back there. :sigh:
I want to find a place where I can live comfortably and work minimally. Fidelity fellow seems to think I'm rich and if I was 10 years older I'd be inclined to agree. Not easy being a single person at this point in the $ department but very nice not to have
Old Dec 25, 2010, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by msv
I'm not allowing any snow until the boy returns from the GF's house in upstate NY
hoping he won't get snowed in?
Old Dec 25, 2010, 4:28 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
When I was out there I could not believe that cars weren't exploding from the heat.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
Dinner is now assembled -- cooking will start soon. We are making way too much food for the two of us.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 4:30 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by colpuck
hoping he won't get snowed in?
I'm a pretty cool mom and got a good giggle when he told me how he got permisson to sleep in the GF's room from her dad. I'm more worried about tomorrow when he has to work.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 4:32 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trustguy
Dinner is now assembled -- cooking will start soon. We are making way too much food for the two of us.
My son ate enough for 4 people this afternoon. I could put a postage stamp on his head if you have too much food
Old Dec 25, 2010, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
It seems that my christmas wish for oversold flights, will not come true.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by msv
I've melted two pairs of sneakers in my travels so that is not good news. So tempting though to get a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath house with a granite kitchen in a 4 year old house for under 100K.
PHX is an absolute hole. The houses are cheap for a reason. Stay away.

Areas of the Texas Hill Country as mentioned have decent housing costs and the area is a bajillion times nicer than anything surrounding PHX.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 4:38 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by colpuck
It seems that my christmas wish for oversold flights, will not come true.
Will cross my fingers that young beautiful woman will sit next to you if you have to go back on original flight.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 4:40 pm

Programs: Back to UA with a bit of Hyatt and some Marriott
Originally Posted by msv
I want to find a place where I can live comfortably and work minimally. Fidelity fellow seems to think I'm rich and if I was 10 years older I'd be inclined to agree. Not easy being a single person at this point in the $ department but very nice not to have
There are still cheap options in the hill country, though some real estate is now .

The other places I've lived that I recommend are the northern part of the front range in Colorado (again, some areas are but if you get to Fort Collins or above, there are good options) and the western slope of the Rockies.

I also have a number of friends who have moved out to the Corvalis, OR or Bend, OR areas and swear by them. I've visited and both are ^ and from what I see neither are in terms of real estate prices.

Also, several people I know love the Wasatch Valley in UT. They do all have religious reasons for preferring that area, but from what I've seen it is very pretty and not too expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.