Search

Teh Penalty Box

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:38 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baglady

wow!

All this dentistry talk reminds me I am way overdue for my dentist appt. and bljr needs one as well.
If you lived closer I'd PM his name (really good looking fellow for sure^)
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by Mackieman
It is quickly becoming apparent to me that one can spend as much money as one would like on a bicycle. I need a bicycle that will not be crushed like the French empire when the Prussians came a'knocking.

Best I can tell, the key here is the wheels. Most frames on a non-Walmart special bike will hold me. The wheels, on the other hand, are subject to going all wobbely bonkers due to my Godzilla-like girth. I'd rather not spend $600 I don't have on this.

Any bike nerds in the Box?
I don't know what the cost is but the "cruiser" style bikes might have stronger wheels than most bikes.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by Olton Hall
I don't know what the cost is but the "cruiser" style bikes might have stronger wheels than most bikes.
Yeah, I may just need to go to a bike shop. There are industrial bikes out there that are around $350 but I dunno if that will work or not.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
It is quickly becoming apparent to me that one can spend as much money as one would like on a bicycle. I need a bicycle that will not be crushed like the French empire when the Prussians came a'knocking.

Best I can tell, the key here is the wheels. Most frames on a non-Walmart special bike will hold me. The wheels, on the other hand, are subject to going all wobbely bonkers due to my Godzilla-like girth. I'd rather not spend $600 I don't have on this.

Plus1 knows a fair amount. A friend of mine's husband has a bike shop, though it is in EAR. I have another friend who's a major biker, but his bikes are four and five figures
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
It's not a bad flight, I've done it many times.
Plus1. Done IAH-SAN once (on a MR out of BWI)... not a bad flight at all.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
I'm not a bike nerd -- I haven't ridden mine in about 7 years. I bought a fairly heavy duty mountain bike on Craigslist. It was WAY too much bike for me, but it was a very good deal (under $200).

Try and buy parts (frame, wheels, etc.) part by part and find a bike shop that can put it together for you.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:48 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest

msv is the Box bike nerd.

I think I have this one which I like a lot. I paid somewhere around $350-370 for it.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
All this dentistry talk reminds me I am way overdue for my dentist appt. and bljr needs one as well.
For goodness sake, don't make her go through anything more this soon.
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mackieman reply from bike nerd (MSV).

My reply is to an adult rider that hasn't biked in a while.

I'm riding a TREK hybrid which I find absolutely perfect for performance and comfort. I also refuse to ride a woman's bike. A hybrid has tires thin enough to ride on the road and unless you plan on some really tough off-road stuff is just fine (although I've done both without harm). Although I've done gym stuff for years I find my true passion is to ride 20-40 miles at a clip and never feel bad after doing it^ Honestly if I lived closer to a bike trail I'd ride every day (weather permitting).
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msv
If you lived closer I'd PM his name (really good looking fellow for sure^)
I only see female dentists. Yep, it's sexist of me!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:50 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Originally Posted by msv
I also refuse to ride a woman's bike.
So does mackieman.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trustguy
For goodness sake, don't make her go through anything more this soon.
Trust me, I won't! I do like the kid

I keep telling plus1 he needs to be in charge of her dental visits; I have severe dental anxiety and I don't want it rubbing off on her.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:54 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cheepneezy
msv is the Box bike nerd.

I think I have this one which I like a lot. I paid somewhere around $350-370 for it.
Well I see we have something more than NY in common^. I'd have to go to the garage to see the number but I'm thinking I have a 7500 from memory. I paid about the same with some discounts in 2004^ What you really need is a good bike shop that will give you some free servicing for a couple of years (like I did). I've got several thousand miles on mine and have loved every minute^
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:55 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I only see female dentists. Yep, it's sexist of me!
SO always goes to a female so I ask what goes in his mouth to stop the screaming
Old Jul 13, 2010, 8:01 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Trustguy
I'm not a bike nerd -- I haven't ridden mine in about 7 years. I bought a fairly heavy duty mountain bike on Craigslist. It was WAY too much bike for me, but it was a very good deal (under $200).

Try and buy parts (frame, wheels, etc.) part by part and find a bike shop that can put it together for you.
You should be chasing all the in Marina del Ray

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.