Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Teh Penalty Box

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by mwg25
Oh, all of those things sound quite lovely. And tjtenor4 would probably die of jealousy. But yeah, this is an event for which I'd love to keep the incidental costs down as much as possible - we've got to be able to have fun without spending big bucks, right? Particularly because everyone would already be shelling out for travel and accommodations (no one has a big house in a central place for hosting).

One idea I think we're going to explore is doing some sort of cooking class/foodie stuff, since that's something that several of us are into, and another idea is something outdoor-adventure-ish like white-water rafting and (fairly cushy) camping. That'll depend a lot on the time of year, though.
We did a local wine tasting tour around central Texas and then rented a boat on one of the nearby lakes. One of my bridesmaids had a house big enough to house a smaller group so that helped with some misc. costs for a few people coming in from out of town.

Your camping idea is nice! Or at minimum have a cook-out during the day and then some activities during the evening? Regardless - I think it is all about being with friends. So whatever you decide to do, it should be a great time. ^
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Afternoon, Box. Enjoyed some from one of the FAs on my DEN - AUS flight today, complete with a INP when I asked for a full can of Coke. She replied, "We're not allowed to give the cans out anymore." I said, and I quote, "Riiiiiiiight." She moved on.

I also got an INP when I asked for a T-Mobile card from the DEN RCC East dragon, but that one doesn't bother me since it isn't a published benefit for Priority Pass members.

The trip was not nearly long enough, but it was filled with lots of beer, good food, cool temperatures, and finally spending time with Mrs. Mackie for the first time in three months. And that was the most awesome part of all.

Now to see if UA will drop fares to MUC for Beer Do 2011. :-:
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by Mackieman
Afternoon, Box. Enjoyed some from one of the FAs on my DEN - AUS flight today, complete with a INP when I asked for a full can of Coke. She replied, "We're not allowed to give the cans out anymore." I said, and I quote, "Riiiiiiiight." She moved on.
IIRC my AUS-DEN flight was on a CRJ of some sort. I am trying to imagine you in a CR deuce.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Penalty Box 2K, PWP Posting Unit 9
Originally Posted by colpuck
IIRC my AUS-DEN flight was on a CRJ of some sort. I am trying to imagine you in a CR deuce.
On the way out it was a CR7 so I dropped 15,000 miles to upgrade to F. On the way back it was an E170 and Mrs. Mackie was with me, so we did the E+ thing in 3A/3C and were just fine.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
As much as I like, appreciate, and trust my friends, I'd never check a bag for them. Smart people do stupid things too frequently for me to take that risk.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Phudnik
On a futbol-related note, mwg25 mentioned that Thierry Henry is one of her fiancé's favorite players, so I suggested a box expedition to Bull Arena sometime before the end of the season. Anyone interested?
I love Thierry Henry. My son use to idolize him and wears his old France number 14 on his soccer jersey. And he use to play left mid field just like Thierry.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Layover in CLT is getting shorter and shorter...
Old Aug 15, 2010, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
We just finished assembling a rather massive lasagna. Dinner is going to be yummeh.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by Trustguy
We just finished assembling a rather massive lasagna. Dinner is going to be yummeh.
I went out to procure chicken. Didn't find any that appealed to me, so I'm having braised steak with steak fries (and beer). Lasagna is one of the items I love but lack the patience to make on my own ...
Old Aug 15, 2010, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Mackieman
Next time that happens, just ask for 4 glasses of Coke, with a smile.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA and SPG are the two primary ones these days
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
I was most recently in Montreal for New Year's 2009/2010, and LOVED every minute of the experience. You certainly have alot of good options to consider for a bachelorette party, and I'd suggest considering Montreal among them.
I'll pass your message along to the organizers! As I said, I'm sure something was wrong with me (or maybe the particular circumstances of the trip) when I was there in 2004. I would love to be proven wrong...

Originally Posted by Flyer_70
We did a local wine tasting tour around central Texas and then rented a boat on one of the nearby lakes. One of my bridesmaids had a house big enough to house a smaller group so that helped with some misc. costs for a few people coming in from out of town.
Wine tasting was another potential idea that I'd come across in my research - it could be fun, and I know very, very little about wine so that would be a good learning experience. I particularly want to learn more about drink/food pairings (which is why all these beer-and-chocolate/bacon-and-bourbon/etc events that y'all mention from time to time sound so fascinating!)

Originally Posted by icurhere2
Except for one student with an incomplete, I can proudly announce I'm done grading for the summer! Of course the fall starts in a few days Time for a muted celebration.
^^^ Best feeling ever, isn't it?

I made grilled steak tips (which soaked in a garlic/pepper/worcestershire marinade during the running) and broccoli. Simple, but effective.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 6:39 pm

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
Originally Posted by Olton Hall
So this means they are too cheap to have a set. You'll be your own reporter, anchor, researcher, camera person, producer, lighting person, editor, IT manager, and marketing person all for $20K.

Me thinks I could do a better job running that place.
I'll bet you could. It's all about the $$
Old Aug 15, 2010, 6:52 pm

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
+1 on the points about Montreal. ^ Wife and I loved the city.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by icurhere2
I was mocking a hospitality program that won't even consider credits from a public, regionally-accredited university for GPA purposes (they don't have to count toward the major).
Yeah, it's sad. It's a transcript that says 3.7 on it that has no relevance, hence my thinking that paying for the lengthening of that transcript is not the greatest short-term idea.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
-edited for lack of hilarity-

http://cdn.wg.uproxx.com/wp-content/.../12/snooki.gif

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.