Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

OnePass Plus and Presidential Plus Cards – New Look, More Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OnePass Plus and Presidential Plus Cards – New Look, More Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tizzette
On FrugalTravelGuy it says that Continental's miles will be merged under the
United name, not the other way around as I thought.
No one outside the company knows with any authority yet. It hasn't been announced publicly.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
OK NYC FTers...... here's one

I have been unable to successfully use my new PPMC to buy subway tickets at the station. 3 attempts at 3 different places with 3 failures. Card o/w working fine.

Had to use me *gasp* United card.

Anyone else have this?
My husband has been using it since the summer without any problems. He buys either at Union Square or Penn Station.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 4:58 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by sbm12
No one outside the company knows with any authority yet. It hasn't been announced publicly.
True, but it makes sense and I have been saying so for quite a while. We shall see.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 8:11 pm
RNE

FWIW, my statement closed on the 19th; my FEQMs posted today (25th).

RNE, saying, "A Christmas gift from Chase."
Old Dec 25, 2010, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I still love handing the card to a retail clerk who is beyond puzzled by what to do with it. If the front doesn't make sense, flip the thing over.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 4:55 am

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
While in St. Maarten lask week another downside of the new card design.

Our rental car agency still used the old fashion carbon-copy slider to imprint to CC. On the PPMC the letters are not raised enough to make a carbon copy. (Although I wonder if that was the intent in hopes to keep down illegal copying/skimming?)
Old Dec 26, 2010, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
My husband has been using it since the summer without any problems. He buys either at Union Square or Penn Station.
I failed at a couple of machines on canal street and at Astor place. *shrugs* United card worked fine.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 7:23 am
RNE

Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
Our rental car agency still used the old fashion carbon-copy slider to imprint to CC.
Some sliders are better than others (like Rembrandt Brown, for instance), and then there are the really good sliders that are built in to the cash register; these use mechanical force to make an imprint and, thus, do a better job of it. Decades ago, I saw a crayon-like implement used to transfer an imprint via manual rubbing. Ironically, that ultra-low-tech method is sensitive enough to work with the PP card.

RNE, saying,"So, how did the rental company finally get an imprint of your card? And, more important, did you go to my favorite beach on St. Maarten"
Old Dec 26, 2010, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by RNE
Some sliders are better than others.
This carried one in his backpack......I am no expert, but I would wager that it was the cheapest slider tat could be purchased

RNE, saying,"So, how did the rental company finally get an imprint of your card?
He had to write it down on paper. There was no "imprint".

And, more important, did you go to my favorite beach on St. Maarten"
Grand Case, Orient, Long, Simpson Bay, and Mullett
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: AA (LT Plat, ex-ConciergeKey), SPG (Plat), DL (Diamond), Marquis Jet Card
Got a fraud call this morning from Chase on my PP card. Logged in and there were a bunch of charges, $1,000 at Riteaid to $3 at McDonalds, that were not me, starting on 12/23. Called, the charges were in the Mass/RI area (I was in NY and Arizona).

I was a bit shocked when they told me they could not tell me which charges were my card and which were my wife's, I know AmEx separates them I guess Chase does not. I would think that if a physical card is used on the same day in 2 different stores across the country, it should have triggered a fraud alert faster.

Obviously they had a physical card made up, as some of the charges were small and at restaurants.

Chase says they will get me a new card tomorrow or Wednesday at latest.

About 2 months ago same thing happened to me with an AmEx Starwood Business card, also it was also clear they had made a duplicate physical card. FYI AmEx called me the SAME DAY the fraud charges started, not 4 days later

The pain in the ... is all the monthly stuff I have billed to the card and now have to change the numbers, and update my Amazon, etc.

Why can't they build in microchips or something to prevent this, can't be that hard to do.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:05 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by modern
FYI AmEx called me the SAME DAY the fraud charges started, not 4 days later. The pain in the ... is all the monthly stuff I have billed to the card and now have to change the numbers, and update my Amazon, etc. Why can't they build in microchips or something to prevent this, can't be that hard to do.
Same thing happened to me, so I sympathize. I don't think Chase is less diligent about fraud than any other bank. If anything, Chase is overly cautious, calling me too often to question legitimate transactions. Amex may be better; I don't know. It is nice that Chase does hustle getting a new card in the customer's hand—though it can never be fast enough. I keep a list of the merchants who have my card on file, so I was quickly able to update my new card number, once I got it. Not sure if a microchip will help much or for long. Those too can be spoofed.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 6:02 pm

Programs: you name it, i have it
Is there any benefit to getting the PP card in 2010, or should I wait till next week? Are there any special promos I will lose out on by waiting? (I don't need 2010 EQMs.) TIA for the guidance!
Old Dec 28, 2010, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by modern
Why can't they build in microchips or something to prevent this, can't be that hard to do.
In Europe, where credit cards have chips with PINs, I don't think the fraud rate is much different from the signature cards in North America. They have all kinds of sinister ways of stealing the PINs in Europe.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by dlfrflyer
Is there any benefit to getting the PP card in 2010, or should I wait till next week? Are there any special promos I will lose out on by waiting? (I don't need 2010 EQMs.) TIA for the guidance!
Not to my knowledge. I am not aware of any promos limited to 2010 year end.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:18 pm

Programs: CO PresPlat, UA GS, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Fairmont Premier, BA Silver, AVIS PresCircle
Originally Posted by dlfrflyer
If you earned Presidential Platinum status, the fee is waived for cards issued thru dec 31, 2010, so 1 year fee waiver, which as I understand CO rebates back to your "travel bank" due to some sort of credit card regulations or something.

Other than that, I see no benefit to do it today versus next week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.