Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blankets on the transcon. Please

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Blankets on the transcon. Please

I can't think of any major carrier that does not have blankets in coach on the transcon. I had to sit at the back last week, and was freezing the whole way (sat next to the door, row 7 on the 757-200) I believe.

It is CO's longest domestic flight non Business First flight . Not everyone departs from IAH !

EWR - LAX/SAN/SFO/SEA/PDX - therse flights are more than 5 hours.

Pillows in F would be nice too - I mean really.

The no blanket policy is tolerable for a flight LGA-IAH, which is only 4 hours. But the transcon really pushes the limit.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:50 pm

there are blankets. you have to ask. they are sealed up individually and then packed into a large plastic bag and stowed in the first FC overhead bin. not one for everyone like the transcons of the past.

I see CO going the "sleep sack" route alla US and B6 very soon.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
No pillows in F on transcons is ridiculous. Not every passenger is disgusted by them... I never buried my face in an airline pillow.

While we're at it, the CO domestic blanket is paltry as well. Amazingly... I wish they'd take a cue from United in this department!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I carry my own pillow with washable cover in it's own bag. I also carry my own soft blankie. What's a little more crap in my bag?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Oh why not sell them then? like B6. I WAS FREEZING !.
I would have paid for a blanket.

It made the fact that I didn't get upgraded that much more annoying.

Also- yes CO's paltry blue blanket is annoying. Thin. It's embarrasing.
An exception should be made for the transcons. It's a long flight.

I should note that trAAsh has free blankets (those red ones) on all their MD-80s, in the front seat pocket, and on very seat on the 767 transcon, ditto for DL as well.

UA of course has blankets and pillows for everyone on their p.s flights. All passengers, including e+ at the back. And mind you, the fare is less sometimes, than ex-EWR.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by meFIRST
Oh why not sell them then?
Ask and your wish may be granted
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:33 am

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
I suggest that the midnight red-eye flights be added to the list.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 6:59 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
BYOB. Bring (or buy) your own blanket!

David
Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dlen111
there are blankets. you have to ask. they are sealed up individually and then packed into a large plastic bag and stowed in the first FC overhead bin. not one for everyone like the transcons of the past.
Those are only for the F cabin, not for folks in Y like the OP.

Yup.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:16 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
I am glad the OP started this thread because I've been meaning to ask a question or two on this subject.

I am finishing a travel lull and haven't been on a CO flight since October. Now, I have 8 CO fligts upcoming (type of seat shown in brackets):

EWR-AUA (Y)
EWR-LIM (F)
EWR-SFO (Y)
EWR-MUC (J)
EWR-IAH-GIG (F/J)
EWR-YVR (Y)
EWR-BRU (J)
EWR-PHX (Y)

Are there blankets and pillows on any of these flights? I would imagine the flights I listed that are BF will have them, but what about the international flights in Y and "International First"? I also am concerned about the transcons in Y, including the one to YVR.

Many thanks.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:21 am

It always amazes me that people who have a tendency to be cold don't bring their own means of bundling up. Even people who don't have that tendency should know that, if you don't control the thermostat and you're in a public place, chances are the temp might not be to your liking and you should bring something just in case.

That being said, the door area is colder than normal (the price you pay for all that leg room) and I too feel it's a little cheap that we don't have pillows or blankeys any more. I know it saves us money but so would removing the carpet, ovens, coffee makers, interior paint, kleenex and a$$ gaskets but really...Whoops, I better not give them any big ideas. BTW, those blanket are for first but sometimes we'll discreetly throw coach a bone.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
What? No mention of Piggy Flu yet?
Oh, right. That hysteria was so last year.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by baglady
Ask and your wish may be granted
Originally Posted by DiverDave
BYOB. Bring (or buy) your own blanket!
Originally Posted by sbm12
Yup.
I also agree 100% that CO will be selling pillows/blankets onboard within the next year.

However, in light of the fact that CO is selling its premium mixers in F, does anyone think that there is a possibility that CO will actually make F customers pay for a pillow and blanket, assuming CO goes the 'sleep sack' route?

If CO will only be trimming $35m a year through the elimination of free meals and BOB transition, I have to believe the pillows/blankets cutback saves a pretty meager sum. It's a very cheap move by CO, more so than any recent 'cost savings' measure, IMO.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by EWR764
I also agree 100% that CO will be selling pillows/blankets onboard within the next year.

However, in light of the fact that CO is selling its premium mixers in F, does anyone think that there is a possibility that CO will actually make F customers pay for a pillow and blanket, assuming CO goes the 'sleep sack' route?
Heh, knowing CO, anything's possible.

We flew US F last week, and they had pillows in F, as well as blankets, and they do not charge for premium mixers in F. Of course there's no IFE, and no glassware, but we were actually discussing whether US F is comparable to CO F at this point, as both carriers have their pros and cons.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by channa
but we were actually discussing whether US F is comparable to CO F at this point, as both carriers have their pros and cons.
Did you get another one of your legendary op-ups to US F? The same US F that no one buys, which is why they (theoretically) op-up alliance elites?

You can debate all you want about whether US and CO F are comparable (heck, on short pretzel only routes US is actually better from a service standpoint). The fundamental difference is I don't fly (anyone) for the amenities.

I travel to get places. Within a reasonable window of when I was scheduled to arrive there. US fails at that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.