Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

New Reciprocal Upgrade Benefits with United, Eff. Mid-2010 [threads merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Reciprocal Upgrade Benefits with United, Eff. Mid-2010 [threads merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:32 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by CO Insider
Hi SF1K, yes, United's Elite customers will have the same access to our Elite instant upgrades for Y and B fares. Additionally, Global Services and 1K members will have access to instant upgrades for M fares just like Continental's Platinum Elite members.
Wow - this is great. Thank you for confirming. It will be interesting to see if UA will line-up with this when it finalizes it's UDU program. Now I'm having difficulty again deciding weather or not to earn CO Plat next year, think I will though. So CO Plat and UA 1K - the best of both worlds it seems.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:33 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
What innacuracy?

There is not a single UA a/c configuted for domestic that has fewer FC seats than any CO jet (UA A-319 8 FC seats/ CO 735 8 FC seats).

UA also has wideobdies configured for domestic that have FC sections with 34 and 36 seats. The largest domestic FC cabin on CO in is the 753 with 24 seats.

So the absolute inventory per UA a/c is far in excess of the absolute inventory per CO a/c.

When comparing ratios, you must factor in E+. On CO, there will typically be 4 good exit-row seats (a maximum of 12, including 6 that don't recline and 4 middle seats). On UA's smallest mainline a/c (the A-319) you have 40 E+ seats. And on UA's domestic 777 there are 89 E+ seats.

89 seats with adequate legroom vs. 12 on CO...
I'm not disagreeing with you entirely... CO with E+ would be an excellent benefit and I think they need to add it in order to better synchronize with UA. CO does not have a similar product to E+ and your comparison of "good" coach seats between the two is valid.

For the other point, sbm12 and fozz chimed in on this already, but if you run the numbers, you will see that CO has a greater absolute number of F seats on the narrowbody mainline fleet, as well as a better F/Y ratio. Even if we were to consider the domestic widebody fleet, to be fair, they are pretty densely configured, at least compared to their longhaul counterparts. The domestic 763 is 34F/210Y, coming in at just shy of 14% F seats out of the total. This is a comparable ratio to the 737-900ER at 20/153. Their domestic 777 is even worse, configured 36/312 for a whopping 348 pax... only 11% are F seats. This is comparable to CO's 737-700 or 757-200. Incidentally, both domestic widebody configurations fall below UA's average F/Y ratio.

My point is that the domestic widebodies do not skew the numbers in UA's favor unless you calculate the impact in gross.

I don't want to be miscast as CO-cheerleading right now, because CO does not have an answer for E+ or explus with F/E+ on RJ's. I just want to point out the fact that one area where CO does not fall short is in the F/Y mix of its fleet.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The wild card, of course, is E+.
Maybe. But your post was asserting that UA has more F seats, not that they have more F and pseudo-F/E+ seats. That was the point I was correcting.

Of course UA has more E+ seats. After all, they have E+. Believe it or not, that's not enough to get me to switch my loyalty. And I'm not particularly hub captive.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:35 am

On CO, upgrades are possible on all domestic-configured aircraft, including on flights that go outside the US (eg to Canada, Mexico, Central America, etc). Will the same be true on UA?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by colpuck
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

As co gold, PE now looks like a great deal. 1k looks great with the best of both worlds.

I think it is time to defect.
actually the time was before CO announced they were goingto *A

Did that back in April and UA comped me PE (their Gold) which they wont do now that both are *A

So now a person has to start with UA at ground zero, at least I was able to get 100% bonus RDMs from get go and Club entrance when on an Intl flight, plus E+ confirmed at time of purchase

To be honest , till today I was still going back and forth which Carrier should I go after their top level for 1st, now that seems to be solved
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: PWP Postmaster General, :rolleyes: Sapphire, UA GS, and Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by spagiola
On CO, upgrades are possible on all domestic-configured aircraft, including on flights that go outside the US (eg to Canada, Mexico, Central America, etc). Will the same be true on UA?
Yes
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by channa
But p.s. is still CR1-able or SWU-able, so still a material benefit to the top tier (albeit metered), not to mention a real upgrade possibility unlike CO's transcons.

Why wouldn't one include it?
Because the upgrades there cost. I thought we were discussing the free upgrade reciprocity that was announced today.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by spagiola
All region-1 flights including Hawaii.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by EWR764
I'm not disagreeing with you entirely... CO with E+ would be an excellent benefit and I think they need to add it in order to better synchronize with UA. CO does not have a similar product to E+ and your comparison of "good" coach seats between the two is valid.

For the other point, sbm12 and fozz chimed in on this already, but if you run the numbers, you will see that CO has a greater absolute number of F seats on the narrowbody mainline fleet, as well as a better F/Y ratio. Even if we were to consider the domestic widebody fleet, to be fair, they are pretty densely configured, at least compared to their longhaul counterparts. The domestic 763 is 34F/210Y, coming in at just shy of 14% F seats out of the total. This is a comparable ratio to the 737-900ER at 20/153. Their domestic 777 is even worse, configured 36/312 for a whopping 348 pax... only 11% are F seats. This is comparable to CO's 737-700 or 757-200. Incidentally, both domestic widebody configurations fall below UA's average F/Y ratio.

My point is that the domestic widebodies do not skew the numbers in UA's favor unless you calculate the impact in gross.

I don't want to be miscast as CO-cheerleading right now, because CO does not have an answer for E+ or explus with F/E+ on RJ's. I just want to point out the fact that one area where CO does not fall short is in the F/Y mix of its fleet.
Regarding E+, you know I'm an advocate of E+, but my point here was not advocate for it, but simply my disbelief that UA would agree to this arrangement in which its elites receive CO "premium" seats in return for giving up access to E+?

Second, regarding FC/Y ratios. I agree with you, it's indisputable. I'm not sure if the cabin ratios are nearly as much of an issue as the elite to FC cabin inventory ratio, though.

On the matter of absolute domestic inventory, however, UA has both more absolute FC seats (it's a bigger carrier, of course), and more FC seats per domestically-configured a/c as well.

Yes, UA does have more planes with an 8-seat FC cabin (A-319, 55 currently in the fleet) vs. CO (735, 34 currently in the fleet).

It also has more planes with a 24-seat FC cabin (752 96 currently in the fleet) vs CO (753, 17 currently in the fleet).

And, of course, again, UA has those domestic widebodies, which CO does not have.

UA has an average of 18.7 FC seats per domestically-configured a/c, while CO has an averagr of 15.6 FC seats per domestically-configured a/c.

It's not a huge difference, although sometimes 3 seats is all it takes to get an upgrade.

And, of course, there is E+. That's a huge difference in inventory. Huge.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sbm12
Because the upgrades there cost. I thought we were discussing the free upgrade reciprocity that was announced today.
There's no cost to CR1s and SWUs. They're dumped into your account for free.

They're limited in that you only get so many, but they're most certainly free, not to mention confirmable at time of booking.

In fact, they can be used to address some of the concerns you raised on this topic. Have a 319/320 transcon you're worried about? If you can burn a CR1 and confirm it at time of booking, might be worthwhile.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:53 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
You sure about that?

I don't think I'd include the PS fleets at their entire capacity, but I do think it's worth noting that they are upgradable, for free, for 1ks due to instruments.

Last edited by J.Edward; Nov 17, 2009 at 11:01 am
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe. But your post was asserting that UA has more F seats, not that they have more F and pseudo-F/E+ seats. That was the point I was correcting.

Of course UA has more E+ seats. After all, they have E+. Believe it or not, that's not enough to get me to switch my loyalty. And I'm not particularly hub captive.
UA has more FC seats. Please see my post above.

Again, UA never has fewer FC seats than CO (A319 vs. 735), and often more than CO has (763 and 777US, of which there is no CO equivalent).

And while it is true that UA has a larger inventory of A-319's (55) than CO's 735's (34), on balance, UA has more FC seats per domestically-configured a/c than CO.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 10:57 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by bocastephen

Originally Posted by CO Insider
Hi SF1K, yes, United's Elite customers will have the same access to our Elite instant upgrades for Y and B fares. Additionally, Global Services and 1K members will have access to instant upgrades for M fares just like Continental's Platinum Elite members.
Oh, this is really bad news
I agree. There won't be EUAs anymore (except for that one platinum on each flight)

I don't know what this means to me. I'll be platinum on this Friday's flight (before the DEQM) and with this milestone the need to think about loyalty to CO more than ever. I hate UA and have not flown them in years. Plus, being a SEA based passenger...AS goes to 90% of the places I want to fly. Plus, I don't have to connect in LA or SFO like I do with UA. I've made a choice to fly CO to everywhere except on west coast flights (which is shot in the foot with the AS relationship dead).
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The issue here is not whether you (or anyone) switch loyalty.

You don't have to, in fact. Now as a CO elite you can gain virtually equal access to UA's larger FC cabins, as well as their E+, while your counterparts over at UA will be feeling they got the short end of the stick the next time they score a middle seat in CO's "premium" section.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: PWP Postmaster General, :rolleyes: Sapphire, UA GS, and Marriott Plat
The issue here is not whether you (or anyone) switch loyalty.

You don't have to, in fact. Now as a CO elite you can gain virtually equal access to UA's larger FC cabins, as well as their E+, while your counterparts over at UA will be feeling they got the short end of the stick the next time they score a middle seat in CO's "premium" section.
Interesting straw man you have built. Not only will UA elites not get upgraded, but they have to sit in middle seats? Surely, there is a window or aisle in the non-premium section...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.