FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   New Reciprocal Upgrade Benefits with United, Eff. Mid-2010 [threads merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1017854-new-reciprocal-upgrade-benefits-united-eff-mid-2010-threads-merged.html)

cerealmarketer Nov 17, 2009 8:03 am

New Reciprocal Upgrade Benefits with United, Eff. Mid-2010 [threads merged]

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Press release just hit

star_world Nov 17, 2009 8:04 am

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....380&highlight=

This will be interesting...

MBM3 Nov 17, 2009 8:04 am

Print Version
United Airlines and Continental Airlines Upgrade Services for Most Loyal Customers
CHICAGO and HOUSTON, Nov. 17 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- United Airlines (Nasdaq: UAUA) and Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL) today announced that members of each carrier's frequent flyer program who have earned elite status will receive unlimited, complimentary domestic upgrades on flights operated by both airlines when space is available.

Continental's elite-level frequent flyers also will have complimentary access to United's Economy PlusŪ seating, offering additional legroom near the front of the Economy cabin. United's elite-level frequent flyers will have complimentary access to Continental's Premium Seating as well.

These new benefits will begin to roll out in mid-2010.

Unlimited domestic upgrades and preferred economy class seating for elite-level frequent flyer members are the latest additions to the suite of benefits available to United and Continental customers since the two carriers announced a wide-ranging global partnership in June 2008 and since Continental joined the Star Alliance Oct. 27 - benefits that include new access to dozens of cities around the world, recognition of elite status, and the ability to accrue and redeem miles on each other's flights.

"The partnership between United and Continental means more comfort and better rewards for our most loyal customers," said Graham Atkinson, president of Mileage Plus. "While our elite-level customers enjoy significant benefits on Continental through its membership in Star Alliance, we are delighted to build on those benefits to provide travelers the best our industry has to offer."

"Continental and United have highly complementary networks that cover the map for business travelers," said Mark Bergsrud, Continental's senior vice president Marketing Programs & Distribution. "This announcement is part of our ongoing plan to deliver frequent flyer benefits that offer the best overall solution for the traveler who wants extra space and comfort across the network."

About Continental

Continental Airlines is the world's fifth largest airline. Continental, together with Continental Express and Continental Connection, has more than 2,400 daily departures throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia, serving 130 domestic and 132 international destinations. Continental is a member of Star Alliance, which provides access to more than 900 additional points in 169 countries via 24 other member airlines. With more than 41,000 employees, Continental has hubs serving New York, Houston, Cleveland and Guam, and together with its regional partners, carries approximately 63 million passengers per year.

Celebrating its 75th anniversary this year, Continental consistently earns awards and critical acclaim for both its operation and its corporate culture. For the sixth consecutive year, FORTUNE magazine named Continental the No. 1 World's Most Admired Airline on its 2009 list of World's Most Admired Companies. For more company information, go to continental.com.

About United

United Airlines (Nasdaq: UAUA) operates approximately 3,300* flights a day on United and United Express to more than 200 U.S. domestic and international destinations from its hubs in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Denver, Chicago and Washington, D.C. With key global air rights in the Asia-Pacific region, Europe and Latin America, United is one of the largest international carriers based in the United States. United also is a founding member of Star Alliance, which provides connections for our customers to 1,071 destinations in 171 countries worldwide. United's 47,000 employees reside in every U.S. state and in many countries around the world. News releases and other information about United can be found at the company's Web site at united.com.

*Based on United's forward-looking flight schedule for October 2009 to October 2010.

SOURCE United Airlines; Continental Airlines

Worldwide Press Office of United Airlines, +1-312-997-8640; or Continental Corporate Communications, +1-713-324-5080

EWR764 Nov 17, 2009 8:08 am

Saw this one coming a mile away, but excellent news anyway!

HeathrowGuy Nov 17, 2009 8:10 am

WOOHOO! I think I need to get into the soothsayer business. ;)

Sit in Economy Plus? YES WE CAN!

UA Insider Nov 17, 2009 8:11 am

New Reciprocal Upgrade Benefits with United, Eff. Mid-2010

Hi Everyone, today I’m pleased to share with you the details of our upcoming reciprocal Elite upgrade and premium seating program with our new partner, United Airlines. While these benefits will not take effect until mid-2010, we wanted to make sure you knew what was in the works.

First, here are the basics...
  1. Reciprocal complimentary upgrades. Continental’s Elite members will have access to the same Unlimited Domestic Upgrade benefits as United’s Elite members. Just the same, United’s Elite members will have access to unlimited complimentary Elite upgrades on Continental and Continental Micronesia.

2. Reciprocal premium seating. Continental’s Elite members will be permitted to pre-assign seats in United’s premium seating section, known as Economy Plus, and United’s Elite members will be able to pre-assign seats in our premium seating section.
Now for some of the specifics I know you care about…
  1. This won't start until mid-2010. Wish it were sooner, and that we had a more specific date to share, but that’s not the case. That means that between now and when this program starts, we will continue to operate without reciprocal upgrades and premium seating.

2. Details about the upgrade hierarchy. When upgrade space becomes available, requests will be prioritized by OnePass or United Mileage Plus elite status, original booking class purchased, and by the time of request. In full disclosure, United’s Premier Executives will have an advantage when traveling on United, because the qualification levels for our Platinum-equivalents are different. Specifically, there’s a large population of United’s Premier Executive customers who have more Elite Qualification Miles and/or points than our Platinum Elite members.
    For travel on United, the clearing order will be:
    1. United Global Services
    2. United 1K
    3. United Premier Executive
    4. Continental Platinum Elite
    5. Continental Gold Elite
    6. United Premier
    7. Continental Silver Elite
    For travel on Continental, the clearing order will be:
    1. Continental Platinum Elite
    2. United Global Services
    3. United 1K
    4. Continental Gold Elite
    5. United Premier Executive
    6. Continental Silver Elite
    7. United Premier
  3. Exit row seats on Continental. Just as we do for our Platinum and Gold Elite members do, our current plan is to allow United’s Global Services, 1K and Premier Executive customers to to pre-assign exit row seats.
A press release has just been issued, and we've posted some answers to Frequently Asked Questions on continental.com.

Please let me know your questions, and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Xyzzy Nov 17, 2009 8:11 am

Since I'm going to end up in the back anyway, E+ and channel 9 will make my EWR-SFO flights much more enjoyable :p

star_world Nov 17, 2009 8:12 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy (Post 12833189)
Since I'm going to end up in the back anyway, E+ and channel 9 will make my EWR-SFO flights much more enjoyable :p

^

I'm afraid to look on the UA board ;)

MBM3 Nov 17, 2009 8:14 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy (Post 12833189)

I am ever so selfishly agreeing with you!

benolaa Nov 17, 2009 8:14 am

Note to self never drop below Platinum ever!! Upon following the note this will be a nice enhancement.

freeflyin Nov 17, 2009 8:14 am

This does not seem quite fair to those UA flyers who are not also CO elite. E+ is a great product,but CO has nothing to offer to reciprocate in it's "premium seating"

bmvaughn Nov 17, 2009 8:18 am

Originally Posted by freeflyin (Post 12833215)
This does not seem quite fair to those UA flyers who are not also CO elite. E+ is a great product,but CO has nothing to offer to reciprocate in it's "premium seating"

Agreed - I sat in "premium" seating a few weeks ago and there was nothing premium about it. Free DirecTV would have been nice - though I was double charged.

Steph3n Nov 17, 2009 8:19 am

Exit rows.....

now I can't ever EVER drop below plat, it will mean I never get upgrades :)

Xyzzy Nov 17, 2009 8:21 am

Almost nothing in this world is fair. As a CO elite I'm not happy that UA Premier Execs are put ahead of CO Platinums in the UA upgrade order. On the whole, though, I think these are positive changes for everyone!

belynch Nov 17, 2009 8:22 am

Originally Posted by CO Insider (Post 12833185)
For travel on United, the clearing order will be:
  1. United Global Services
  2. United 1K
  3. United Premier Executive
  4. Continental Platinum Elite
  5. Continental Gold Elite
  6. United Premier
  7. Continental Silver Elite

Anyone else singing this song while seeing this list? :rolleyes:;):D

So, CO, howzabout the creation of that 4th tier for 100k + schlubs?

Also, CO Insider, where do companion upgrades fall on these lists? Or is that once-in-a-blue-moon benefit officially going away?