FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Ask UA Insider: Star Alliance Announcements & Discussions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/1010428-ask-ua-insider-star-alliance-announcements-discussions.html)

Bsitz Nov 15, 2009 3:58 am

Earning Elite Qualification Miles on Partner *A Airlines

I have been trying to figure out how many OnePass elite qualification miles can be earned on Swiss and Lufthansa. The CO's website says that OnePass members can earn 150% Base Miles when flying in Full Fare Economy, Business or First Class on Swiss or Lufthansa. What does Base Miles mean? Is this the actual miles flown OR the amount of miles that are awarded to Miles and More members? For example, London to Zurich is less than 500 actual miles flown each way but Swiss awards 1,250 miles in Full Fare Economy to 2,000 in Business Class each way for this route. What would Continental award its OnePass members for this route?

qlabdad Nov 15, 2009 6:41 am

Originally Posted by transportbiz (Post 12800815)
Good, flights pretty comfortable, even though 2 out of 4 were late, they did a good job of passing out water, chocolate, and even drinks during the hold delay.

Good, comfortable and nice, clean aircraft. Friendly and effecient.

Good, first class line was fast and no questions with the Gold Star card. But no "priority tags" on checked bags.

Good, lounges all let me in with the new Continental card.

Bad, Zurich lounge OUTSIDE security, rendering it useless for connections with less than an hour and a half.

Bad, apparently no seats set aside for Star Gold (exit row, or forward in cabin for example).

Bad, online check-in never works.

Really bad, not many of the new partners give Elite bonus miles, including Swiss. Also half miles with T and W fare codes. Is it my impression or is it true that ST partners were more consistant with this? It's strange Swiss is so different when it's part of the Lufthansa group...but then I don't understand the corporate structure of those groups at all.

Not a complaint, I just hope that as this alliance develops it becomes more and more customer driven.

An aside: I hope CO resists the pleas for a higher milage requirement for Platinum or worse a higher level.

Also flew Swiss last week from BRU-ZRH, ZRH-LHR and agree it was overall a good experience. My flights were early or on time, the chocolate was nice and as I remember from years ago. No problem getting into the lounges at BRU (SAS lunge) or ZRH (Swiss). In ZRH there was a desk you had to clear before going to the lounge area near the B gates and the agents were still learning about CO and *A. They were very nice but the color of my Plat card confused them as it looks silver which they interpreted as *A Silver. They quickly noticed it said *A Gold and welcomed me in. The only (minor) lounge issue was no signs on wireless access but they gave me 30 minute access cards when I asked.

flyzabit Nov 15, 2009 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 12803930)
I'm going to guess UA and CO members, maybe US members. On top of the existing int'l customers.

CO already bent over and made their award charts like UA. The clubs is where UA is going to have to change things a bit. They've already dropped their fees to match, and eliminated the boarding pass requirement.

If the Internet card is supposed to get issued for CO members, and we add a couple of drink chits, we've resolved the drinks/Internet deficiency. Then I wonder if the UA members will get upset about COers coming into the RCC for the better snacks, fresh veggies, and better beer and liquor like some of the CO members are whining about now.

On Internet: There is confusion in the RCC about PClub members: Normally an RCC member enters their RCC# in the login screen, or an International flight passenger is given a 24-hour T-mobile access card (good at multiple RCCs in that period). Will PClub members get a 24-hour card (as I got upon asking in one location) or not at all (confusion reigned at 2 other places on an international itinerary: fortunately I'm also *A Gold and it was an international itinerary.)

channa Nov 16, 2009 12:12 am

Originally Posted by flyzabit (Post 12824973)
On Internet: There is confusion in the RCC about PClub members: Normally an RCC member enters their RCC# in the login screen, or an International flight passenger is given a 24-hour T-mobile access card (good at multiple RCCs in that period). Will PClub members get a 24-hour card (as I got upon asking in one location) or not at all (confusion reigned at 2 other places on an international itinerary: fortunately I'm also *A Gold and it was an international itinerary.)

I was 5 for 5 getting Internet cards on my UA domestic trip this weekend. Seems that word is starting to get out that CO PC members get Internet cards. SFO RCC agent didn't know, but asked her colleague who said CO*G does not, but CO PC does. She was very confident of that distinction. Worth noting they don't always offer it, but got it without resistance upon asking in most locations.

At IAD, I was shocked that she offered us two (2) Internet cards because there were two of us (me + 1 guest). I was speechless because IAD has this reputation for not following process, particularly at the clubs. But they knew their stuff.

iwillflytheworld Nov 16, 2009 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Bsitz (Post 12821039)
I have been trying to figure out how many OnePass elite qualification miles can be earned on Swiss and Lufthansa. The CO's website says that OnePass members can earn 150% Base Miles when flying in Full Fare Economy, Business or First Class on Swiss or Lufthansa. What does Base Miles mean? Is this the actual miles flown OR the amount of miles that are awarded to Miles and More members? For example, London to Zurich is less than 500 actual miles flown each way but Swiss awards 1,250 miles in Full Fare Economy to 2,000 in Business Class each way for this route. What would Continental award its OnePass members for this route?

Welcome to FT Bsitz! ^

If you're not elite with Continental, base miles is the actual flown miles. If you are elite, then there is a minimum of 500 base miles. How many miles M&M would award for the same flights is not relevant.

Note that the 150% multiplier for full fare economy, C and F only apply to EQMs. You only get 150% RDMs in first class.

So, to give an example, assuming you're not CO elite and are booked on full fare economy from LHR to ZRH, you would earn 491 RDMs and 737 EQMs. This is a lot less than you would earn if you credited to M&M.

Keep in mind that CO elites get elite bonuses on LH (in addition to the 500 minum base miles), so if you are for example CO Gold, then you would get 1000 RDMs and 750 EQMs for LHR to ZRH booked in full fare economy.

Mikey Nov 17, 2009 9:45 pm

Questions for CO Insider

I have seen this discussed, but have not seen anything from CO Insider about it.

1. Are there any plans to provide free drinks to PC Members who are visiting a RCC? I like being able to get into the RCC now, but having to pay even for soda is ridiculous.

2. Whatever happened to the announcement of a deal with Alaska Airlines Board Room that would provide limited club access? Has that deal been scrapped?

Thanks for your reply, CO Insider!

channa Nov 17, 2009 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey (Post 12838374)
1. Are there any plans to provide free drinks to PC Members who are visiting a RCC? I like being able to get into the RCC now, but having to pay even for soda is ridiculous.

Since when does the RCC charge for a soda? What location charged you?

joaquim67 Nov 18, 2009 12:52 am

A bit confused....

Trying to make heads and tails of the new earning opportunities with *A carriers. Will I still be able to earn OnePass miles flying a US-flight number, but UA-operated flight? Reviewing CO site, it makes no mention...Thanks.

ual744777sta Nov 18, 2009 1:12 am

Originally Posted by joaquim67 (Post 12839131)
Trying to make heads and tails of the new earning opportunities with *A carriers. Will I still be able to earn OnePass miles flying a US-flight number, but UA-operated flight? Reviewing CO site, it makes no mention...Thanks.

If your paid flight is operated by any *A partner, it will earn miles with OnePass.

pbarnette Nov 18, 2009 3:39 am

Originally Posted by ual744777sta (Post 12839178)
If your paid flight is operated by any *A partner, it will earn miles with OnePass.

This is true for UA and US, but not true for *A generally. There are several fare classes that are not mileage-earning. Here are some examples that I pulled together quickly (travel 1/13-1/20):

- CPH-FRA on LH: The two lowest fare classes are E & T. Neither earns mileage. The jump from E to W is significant. There is even an L fare, which is a mid-priced fare that wouldn't earn according to CO.com.

- LHR-SIN on SQ: The lowest fare class appears to be Q, which would not earn mileage.

- LAX-BKK on TG: The lowest fare includes V legs for NRT-BKK, which would not earn mileage.

Simply put, there are quite a few non-earning fares in *A. There are even more partial credit fares. To avoid unexpected surprises, FFers will probably have to pay more attention to fare codes than in the past. I would also use caution when buying codeshare flights with non-US carriers, as you might find yourself earning a fraction of what you think you will earn.

radonc1 Nov 18, 2009 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 12825500)
I was 5 for 5 getting Internet cards on my UA domestic trip this weekend. Seems that word is starting to get out that CO PC members get Internet cards. SFO RCC agent didn't know, but asked her colleague who said CO*G does not, but CO PC does. She was very confident of that distinction. Worth noting they don't always offer it, but got it without resistance upon asking in most locations.

At IAD, I was shocked that she offered us two (2) Internet cards because there were two of us (me + 1 guest). I was speechless because IAD has this reputation for not following process, particularly at the clubs. But they knew their stuff.

Just my last weekend experience. I was given internet cards at SFO, Portland, SEA and LAX. The greeters were all pleasant. I did need my boarding pass but that was because UA has no way of entering my PC info into their system electronically without their BP. They could add it mechanically if necessary. I was told this will change as the systems get integrated.

rebech34 Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Hey there - what were the taxes you ended up paying on the ORD-TLV flight with LH?

Originally Posted by benolaa (Post 12715628)
ORD-FRA-TLV roundtrip in First.

pricklycomedian Nov 20, 2009 5:07 pm

Question about flight changes to other airlines within Star Alliance. Here is the situation: I am to fly the last leg of a EWR-NRT-EWR trip. I have a G-class fare. It is 9 a.m. Tokyo time now. CO8 would normally depart at 5:45 p.m., but is delayed three hours as of now. There are no other direct flights available on Continental to the NYC area. However, ANA has a flight to depart at 11 a.m., NH10, which is as of now, on time.

Two agents suggested trying this change but they don't know if it will be possible. I am in the UA international lounge awaiting the result of conversations between the agents here and the Continental desk -- the connections desk won't open until 10:30 or so, so the club agents have been kind enough to contact the main CO desk outside immigration.

I have no problem paying a change fee, but I don't even know how feasible a change from a CO flight to an ANA flight is. Anyone else have experience with a situation like this? Thanks,

pc

mbreuer Nov 20, 2009 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by pricklycomedian (Post 12855348)
Question about flight changes to other airlines within Star Alliance. Here is the situation: I am to fly the last leg of a EWR-NRT-EWR trip. I have a G-class fare. It is 9 a.m. Tokyo time now. CO8 would normally depart at 5:45 p.m., but is delayed three hours as of now. There are no other direct flights available on Continental to the NYC area. However, ANA has a flight to depart at 11 a.m., NH10, which is as of now, on time.

Two agents suggested trying this change but they don't know if it will be possible. I am in the UA international lounge awaiting the result of conversations between the agents here and the Continental desk -- the connections desk won't open until 10:30 or so, so the club agents have been kind enough to contact the main CO desk outside immigration.

I have no problem paying a change fee, but I don't even know how feasible a change from a CO flight to an ANA flight is. Anyone else have experience with a situation like this? Thanks,

pc

Depends somewhat on the reason for the delay. Typically, unless it's weather-related, they should accommodate. If it is weather related, they may or may not... but if you need the EQM you can't get original routing credit if the reroute was weather related. So no DEQM on ANA.

pricklycomedian Nov 20, 2009 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by mbreuer (Post 12855373)
Depends somewhat on the reason for the delay. Typically, unless it's weather-related, they should accommodate. If it is weather related, they may or may not... but if you need the EQM you can't get original routing credit if the reroute was weather related. So no DEQM on ANA.

Thanks. The delay is due to a late inbound aircraft. The club agent said that the CO desk said my fare class ticket is not endorsable to another airline. I'll try again with the Elite line and hopefully the connection desk will open soon and I can try there, but time is short.

pc

UPDATE: The elite line hooked me up! No problem whatsoever.