Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco MEGA DO 2008 - September 26-28

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2008, 3:42 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
For those considering doing the tour with Pat, be warned, she rolls down her window and yells at unsuspecting, innocent UA pilots walking down the street, touting some Channel 9 propaganda. Hey, speaking of which, I'd love to go!
I took your earlier post about the timing as your intent to put your life into my hands through the streets of San Francisco. Welcome on board!
Old Sep 1, 2008, 12:31 am

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
Originally Posted by Kevincm
Excellent news lucky9876coins as I'm due to touch down at SFO at 13:00 local time on UA995/BD4495.

So, my challenge of that day: land, get past immigration and CBP... and be near the Gate Gourmet within an hour.

Silly question for those who know: how long are the immigration queues at SFO normally for non US passport holders?

Ta
Didn't see anyone answer, but basically, it shouldn't be a problem. When I rush to get there first, I usually get through in about five minutes including the walk from the plane. The longest we were ever stuck there was about 15 minutes and that was only because when Mr. 999 was going through his immigration agent's PC crashed and for some strange reason he wouldn't let Mr. 999 go to another lane. So he stood there waiting the PC took forever to reboot and I stood there waiting for him...
Old Sep 1, 2008, 12:44 am

Sunday

As for Dim Sum, someone PM'ed me suggesting Yank Sing on Stevenson Street.
Certainly that's right up there as far as the best deem sum in SF area. I was going to suggest Canton which is a couple of blocks from IC, but Yank Sing is so good, as long as we have a rough count and a reservation there, I'm *so* there! Was there a particular time that you had in mind?

I'd also be up for doing something in the afternoon, if anyone has ideas.
I meant to remind folks that the Giants are in town that weekend playing their last homestand (last weekend of the season!) against the Dodgers. The games are Friday 7:15pm, Saturday 6:05pm and Sunday 1:05pm. I'm saying this mostly so people will be aware of the potential crowds and bad traffic since the ballpark is in the same 'hood that we'll most be hanging at. Of course, if someone wants to go, there are day-of-game tickets, free SRO outside the park (looking through a chain link fence) tickets, and scalper tickets.

I've decided that best time for me to host a pahrtay would be Sunday after dim sum till people have to leave. So, for those who are not going to join Pat on the SF tour, feel free to come over to my place to hang out in the late afternoon/early evening. Those who are going on the tour with Pat, you're welcome to finish the tour at my place (hey, check out AT&T Park before coming over, it's a block away)

I was actually thinking we can order pizza for/instead of dinner or some such and just chill and wind down till the travelers have to go to SFO for their red-eyes and the locals have to go home to get ready for wherever they are traveling to the following week

My bar is pretty stocked up, so no need to bring anything from the IC minibars!

Send me a PM if you'd be interested in hanging out Sunday (I've got plenty of room so I don't think there'll be a cut-off, just trying to get an idea). I'll finalize the details (times, etc) and let people know Friday/Saturday/Sunday at meals, 'cause I ain't missing any of those!
Old Sep 1, 2008, 12:51 am

Saturday lunch-time

For those going to kalkat's party (or those who aren't but like this sort of thing):

Saturdays, at the Ferry Building (where we are leaving from) there is a fantastic Farmer's Market with very fru-fru stuff - lots of local cheese makers, bakers, various other gourmet offerings (as well as lots of organic fruits and veggies) There is also loads of ready to eat things.

If you were wondering where to have lunch on Saturday, I highly recommend it. It'll be super crowded as it always is, but still quite a lot of fun.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by asya999
Didn't see anyone answer, but basically, it shouldn't be a problem. When I rush to get there first, I usually get through in about five minutes including the walk from the plane. The longest we were ever stuck there was about 15 minutes and that was only because when Mr. 999 was going through his immigration agent's PC crashed and for some strange reason he wouldn't let Mr. 999 go to another lane. So he stood there waiting the PC took forever to reboot and I stood there waiting for him...

Is this for non-American passports, which I think may be the issue?
Old Sep 1, 2008, 9:26 am

For those going to kalkat's party (or those who aren't but like this sort of thing):

Saturdays, at the Ferry Building (where we are leaving from) there is a fantastic Farmer's Market with very fru-fru stuff - lots of local cheese makers, bakers, various other gourmet offerings (as well as lots of organic fruits and veggies) There is also loads of ready to eat things.

If you were wondering where to have lunch on Saturday, I highly recommend it. It'll be super crowded as it always is, but still quite a lot of fun.
Everyone coming to our deck party - eat lunch earlier at your peril! There will be lunch at our house, a BBQ, and perhaps those who came last year can vouch that noone will go hungry.

Last year I recommended going to the Farmers' Market at the Ferry Building for breakfast around 10 or 11 before the ferry. There is plenty to see there to occupy you for an hour, at least for anyone interested in food, farming, gifts to take home with them, or local color (flora and fauna).

Both the market itself, which actually spills almost onto the ferry pier, and the shops in the attached ferry buidling, are filled with local producers of everything from chocolate and pastries to bread, cheese and charcuterie and of course varieties of fruit, vegetables and flowers one has never seen before. It is quite picturesque in a gritty sort of way on the water. Well worth a stop for a visitor.

After the lottery tonight for the 10 remaining places at the deck party, I will post details about the ferry schedule etc. and the other arrangements we have made.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP

Originally Posted by kalkat
Everyone coming to our deck party - eat lunch earlier at your peril! There will be lunch at our house, a BBQ, and perhaps those who came last year can vouch that noone will go hungry.

Last year I recommended going to the Farmers' Market at the Ferry Building for breakfast around 10 or 11 before the ferry. There is plenty to see there to occupy you for an hour, at least for anyone interested in food, farming, gifts to take home with them, or local color (flora and fauna).

Both the market itself, which actually spills almost onto the ferry pier, and the shops in the attached ferry buidling, are filled with local producers of everything from chocolate and pastries to bread, cheese and charcuterie and of course varieties of fruit, vegetables and flowers one has never seen before. It is quite picturesque in a gritty sort of way on the water. Well worth a stop for a visitor.

After the lottery tonight for the 10 remaining places at the deck party, I will post details about the ferry schedule etc. and the other arrangements we have made.
Interestingly enough, I wasn't sure where the Ferry Building was but I do know where the market is. I saw the most expensive mushrooms in my life ever.

Even if my name doesn't get drawn, I will be sure to visit and may just take a ferry ride because!
Old Sep 1, 2008, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by kalkat
Is this for non-American passports, which I think may be the issue?
Actually, no, he's all American, born-and-raised, and all and it was US Citizens only lanes.

This was all a Windoze-sux issue -- it crashed, as it tends to do, and there was nothing to do but wait for it to reboot. I think ImmOfficer didn't want to send Mr 999 to another station because he mumbled something about his passport already having been scanned (so what???) *sigh*
Old Sep 1, 2008, 11:29 am

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SWA A+, SPG Titanium, Avis Chairman
Hope I didn't miss it, just PMed for the Gate Gourmet tour. If it's too late, I guess I can book a later flight on Friday.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 12:20 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
I just PM'd for the GG tour, I hope it's not too late. I was wondering if we're flying in that day to SFO... will there be a place to put our luggage during the tour or would we just be toting it along? Just a thought.
Old Sep 1, 2008, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JonathanIT
I just PM'd for the GG tour, I hope it's not too late. I was wondering if we're flying in that day to SFO... will there be a place to put our luggage during the tour or would we just be toting it along? Just a thought.
I have the same issue since I'm flying in the same day too. Let me ask about that and get back to you. If there's no room at the GG facilities maybe we could put our bags in the car of an FT'er that's driving in for duration of the tour?
Old Sep 1, 2008, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VX Founding Member; HH/Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum; National Exec Elite, Hertz 5* Gold
How Berkeley Can You Be - Sunday 9/28

Just heard about this interesting bay area event taking place the weekend of the Do. Many good photo ops I am sure...

http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/770089/

Passing it along to any who might be interested in adding this unique item to their itinerary.

Last edited by joybuggy; Sep 1, 2008 at 4:16 pm
Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:18 am

Gate Gourmet tour

Your luggage can be stored inside the conference room at GG.

How to get there from SFO airport: If you are not renting a car and are coming straight from the airport, you can take the employee bus.

West Field employee bus is the one that you will need to take. It comes around every 10 minutes or so. You can catch it on the lower arrival/baggage area all along the roadway, just look for the Employee Bus Stop signs. Make sure the bus is going to the WEST FIELD parking lot.

West Field parking lot is one building before Gate Gourmet, very short walk.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Originally Posted by sfogate

How to get there from SFO airport: If you are not renting a car and are coming straight from the airport, you can take the employee bus.

West Field employee bus is the one that you will need to take. It comes around every 10 minutes or so. You can catch it on the lower arrival/baggage area all along the roadway, just look for the Employee Bus Stop signs. Make sure the bus is going to the WEST FIELD parking lot.

Superific, thanks much sfogate. As always you're a great help ^.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:54 am

Is this perhaps also a better option for those of us driving in? Park at the airport (short term parking) and shuttle into GG on the West Field employee bus?

Originally Posted by sfogate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.