Dissed by a FTer!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
sounds like someone was trying to impress their friend
Old Sep 9, 2007, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Anybody stops me because of my FT tag is gonna get a handshake or a hug at the very least. Don't let other cold fish scare you off. I think most of us are extroverts.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 3:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
Pretty much anything organised and posted on FT I stay away from.
That's actually pretty sad to hear from someone that has been around FT as long as you have been. A lot of time and effort goes into organizing events, be they small or large, and you'd be most welcome at any of them. I would certainly enjoy meeting you at an FT event.

I usually hit about 5-6 events a year and can't think of one that I didn't have an interesting discussion with someone about places to go or local sights to see, different ways to go about accumulating miles or points, or just travel in general.

I do think you're missing an opportunity to expand your travel/frequent flyer knowledge base.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 3:31 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
Originally Posted by mikeef

Sigh, maybe I just smelled funny.

Mike

I dunno... I just put my yellow tag on a carry-on but haven't had any luck meeting people yet.

On a smelly note, why do I always end up sitting close to someone prone to passing gas on the plane?

My last experience from HOU-JFK was so bad that the flight attendand smiled at me every time I had my finger by my nose and kindly sprayed the airfreshener to remedy the situation (several times).

talk about rolling eyes at other passengers... so uncool!

--Russ
Old Sep 9, 2007, 4:19 pm

One idea from this thread: try to be more polite with follow FTs.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tom911
That's actually pretty sad to hear from someone that has been around FT as long as you have been. A lot of time and effort goes into organizing events, be they small or large, and you'd be most welcome at any of them. I would certainly enjoy meeting you at an FT event.
I am not sure why it is sad. My lack of attendance does not stop others from attending so the time and effort in organizing the DO is not wasted. While I don't doubt you would indeed make me feel welcome, I can guarantee that other's would not. Tis ok though, I learned a long time ago that I can't be friends with everyone so I don't try. As for meeting me, it can happen as I do meet up with other FTr's for drinks/dinner etc. in my travels; it is just organized DO's I avoid.

I do think you're missing an opportunity to expand your travel/frequent flyer knowledge base.
Tis ok, I am happy with my knowledge base right now. Most of my travel is personal and what I have accumulated over the years serves me well. Can I always learn more, sure, but I don't need to attend a DO to gain that knowledge.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
If I have even come off as rude or abrupt to anyone I do apologize.
Hmmmmmmm, I think I recall a time...Gordon's in Seattle, anyone???

I know, I know, you've apologized profusely for telling me you were "from HELL"

Old Sep 9, 2007, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by JoeBagodonuts
I definitely see some Pot calling the kettle black on this thread
Absolutely...
Old Sep 9, 2007, 6:36 pm

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Originally Posted by dhammer53

I often wonder how many of the kids, or should I say Flyertalkers in their youth, feel about hanging around some of the oldtimers (7 years for me). And no, I didn't mean oldtimer as in 53.
Didn't I come and hang out with you a few years back.. So be happy I came..

Last edited by ewrfox; Sep 9, 2007 at 6:59 pm
Old Sep 9, 2007, 6:39 pm

Tis ok though, I learned a long time ago that I can't be friends with everyone so I don't try. As for meeting me, it can happen as I do meet up with other FTr's for drinks/dinner etc. in my travels; it is just organized DO's I avoid.
Your comment made me smile since I am 99.9% sure that I met you at a "do".
Old Sep 10, 2007, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
it is just organized DO's I avoid...
and gaylas? I seem to recall someone with a very similar handle to yours causing all sorts of hotel related drama before the PS Gayla, then bowing out...
Old Sep 10, 2007, 8:34 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by lmlinder
Hmmmmmmm, I think I recall a time...Gordon's in Seattle, anyone???

I know, I know, you've apologized profusely for telling me you were "from HELL"

As I keep saying, the truth is an aboslute defense!
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Marysunshine
I had the same kind of experience when visiting in chicago about a year ago. I was traveling with two women I had met on the internet. Flyertalk was having a get together so thought we'd meet up with them. It was a small get together, three guys and one female. The female was very friendly for a brief period. One of the women I was traveling with was asking several questions about Chicago of one of the gentleman and he said something under his breath about being with and having to chat with people of our age (we are women in our 60s. )
It let me know I was no longer interested in attending any flyertalk get togethers. I will read, answer questions I have the answers to, but that's about it. So I completely empathize with your experience.
Not to beat a dead horse here and I wasn't even there, but I do recall following that thread and unless I'm terribly mistaken, one Flyertalker made it clear that she was trying to move heaven and earth to change her itinerary for the sole purpose of stopping in Chicago for a few hours to meet you. That is more typical of the kinds of FlyerTalkers that I've met. Too bad you didn't post that.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Starting at the top!

The first flyertalker I met was Randy Peterson at FLL-first time I spotted a flyertalk luggage tag!
I have made several friends here on FT and have had the great pleasure of meeting several in person.
The knowladge I have acuired has made the few stones in the path worth enduring.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
Quote: Not to beat a dead horse here and I wasn't even there, but I do recall following that thread and unless I'm terribly mistaken, one Flyertalker made it clear that she was trying to move heaven and earth to change her itinerary for the sole purpose of stopping in Chicago for a few hours to meet you. That is more typical of the kinds of FlyerTalkers that I've met. Too bad you didn't post that.

You are absolutely correct in that there are many people on these boards that have been exceptionally friendly to me and gone out of their way to chat and socialize. I thank them very much. My post was simply referring to a one-time incident and was not supposed to reflect on any other meetups I had attended.
I will not post further to this thread as it has caused hurt feelings to others so I am dropping it here and now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.