Dissed by a FTer!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dissed by a FTer!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:35 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Thumbs down

What's the point of having a FT luggage tag if you don't want to meet other FTers?
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:46 pm

Whenever I go to a DO and introduce myself, I tend to get the "Oh, so you're SchmutzigMSP" response. For better or worse, it always seems to happen.

(Now I'll never live that down as FT friends that know me very well will likely greet me with that each and every time... )

Anyway, I've had the pleasure of meeting folks I've previously sparred with on FT. At first, you might be a bit apprehensive. But I've found that the folks that actually take the time to show up to the events, by and large, are decent folks. So what if you have differing opinions on in-flight amenities or how a company is run? That's not really "who you are", at least for most folks, and meeting folks is all about learning "who they are" instead of re-hashing the airline topics de jour. You'd be surprised how mellow the two of you can become once you share a drink/meal/experience/etc.

As for the a$$hats, yep, every group has them. Every once in a while you meet one and if they're not friendly, or at least cordial, there's no point in continuing to speak with them. Find other folks at the DOs and meet new friends. There really are some truly, wonderful, caring, decent people on these forums.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
I've hosted six FT dos, some of them as big as 60 people, and have met hundreds of other FTers one-on-one or in other groups. I don't think anyone I've met in real life has ever been rude. Socially retarded, unable to hold their liquor, boundary issues, pathological liars, and plain annoying, yes. But never rude.

The vast majority are great people, and I have made some wonderful friends. There were four FTers at my wedding.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
As both a do organiser, attendee and a Mod in this forum, I'm obviously a firm supporter of FT Dos. A lot of my time and effort goes into these dos. At the same time, some of the stories here don't really surprise me - as hiyo said
In a community as large as FT, there will be all types. There is no personality test for admittance.
FT attracts a wide variety of people from all walks fo life. Just because we all share a love of flying doesn't mean we'll love each other's company. While it saddens me to hear about such incidents of rudeness, I would hope that those encountering them would understand that those are not representative of the vast majority of FT encounters. Within the scope of people who I have met on FT, there are those who are now amongst my greatest trusted friends, those whom I have laughed with and had a great time with, those who I have been bored by and those I would be quite happy if I never met again. With around 150k people on the board, I don't really expect it any other way As a do organiser, I do all I can to ensure that people have a great time - but I can't force them to do it. And additionally, for those with bad experiences, remember appearances can be deceiving. Someone who is offhand could just be tired, jet-lagged, worried, or even just focussing on something else - or their social skills could just be lacking

Interesting thread. With my mod hat on, I would be grateful if we didn't try to identify people too closely, since there are two sides to any story.

Thanks

Jenbel
Co-moderator, Communitybuzz!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Marysunshine
It let me know I was no longer interested in attending any flyertalk get togethers. I will read, answer questions I have the answers to, but that's about it. So I completely empathize with your experience.
But will you host one?

So many comments above, and all have valid points.

I once met someone who had a luggage tag, but wasn't registered. That was an awkward minute at SFO.

Whether you go to a DO or a small event, there will always be someone that you don't mesh with. That's just the way it is. I once attended an event (drinks only) where you were able to see the 'in crowd' vs the rejected. By in crowd I mean those that don't even bother to make a person feel comfortable.
It would have taken a minute to make a stranger feel welcomed.
I mean come on. Give 'em a break.

I realize that certain groups may be more comfortable interacting with their own ie age, race, region, airline, GLBT, Flyertalk chatters . That's life. I find it interesting to meet new people because they're the ones that may become my 'new' FT friends.

I often wonder how many of the kids, or should I say Flyertalkers in their youth, feel about hanging around some of the oldtimers (7 years for me). And no, I didn't mean oldtimer as in 53.

MarySunshine, I'm disappointed to hear that there are jerks on Flyertalk; but did it really come as a surprise. Even when we were a community of 5-10,000, we still had a few whoppers around. Today, at close to 150,000, I think we'll have a few more.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Marysunshine
One of the women I was traveling with was asking several questions about Chicago of one of the gentleman and he said something under his breath about being with and having to chat with people of our age (we are women in our 60s. )
And one more thing ... if this person knew how much he could have learned from you, as I did, about maximizing his mileage earning potential, by taking advantage of various credit card, airline, and hotel mileage/point earning opportunities, he never would have muttered under his breath.

With age, comes wisdom. ^
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:04 pm

Programs: Haven't been flying for a while... :(
Originally Posted by g_leyser
What's the point of having a FT luggage tag if you don't want to meet other FTers?
Aside from borrowing luggage pieces from a member or being too lazy to remove them?

I thought it was implicit in the use of those tags that you are willing to be accosted by fellow FTers.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:19 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Just curious, Marysunshine, could there be any chance that this 'gentleman' was joking? What was your reaction after that?

Hmmm... maybe at my age, I should now be more careful mingling with the young'uns, asking them to bring us food, drinks, dessert and all... What? They walk faster.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by belle3388
Or maybe that I am one little old Asian lady that's in the wrong age group?
Hi Belle!
You might not remember me but I met you in TLS. I think you’re really friendly and bubbly. I would not have realised you’re in the wrong age group. Your hubby is lovely too! As for the unfriendly chap, it’s his loss for not furthering an acquantice with you.

----------------------
A note to some posters here, FT is very diverse. We come from different countries and cultures. English may not be the first language of some FTers - conversation might then be a problem. We also have different personalities - some more chatty, some more reserved. (I am reserved! ) We have to bear that in mind, rather than assume that you were being ignored.

There may be the odd unpleasant character but there are more interesting and friendly people you could talk to!

Last edited by phaleesy; Sep 4, 2007 at 1:39 pm
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:36 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by alanw
I've hosted six FT dos, some of them as big as 60 people, and have met hundreds of other FTers one-on-one or in other groups. I don't think anyone I've met in real life has ever been rude. Socially retarded, unable to hold their liquor, boundary issues, pathological liars, and plain annoying, yes. But never rude..
Trying to figure out which (if any...or if all) traits I might have exhibited in BCN 04?????
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat
Slightly off topic (but mentioned a few times on this thread): Where does one pick up some FT luggage tags?

Thanks.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:42 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by jcherney
Slightly off topic (but mentioned a few times on this thread): Where does one pick up some FT luggage tags?

Thanks.
Original FlyerTalk Store
Old Sep 4, 2007, 1:42 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Very interesting topic here. Especially since I'm reading it during the last days of Cow Do III.

Every group has people you won't like. I wouldnt be surprised if I hear people didnt love me this weekend.

But I honestly feel most all FTers are good people. Just not every good person gets along.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Oh, Marysunshine, I am so sorry that someone was rude to you. You alway make an effort to be so nice.

Always remember, however, that, unless you shot their dog, slashed their tires, or (God forbid) stole their upgrade, the only reason for people to act mean-spirited, vicious, unkind and hateful, is because they are feeling mean-spirited, vicious, unkind and hateful. People who treat others badly do so because they don't much like themselves, suffer from jealousy, insecurity, intimidation, or anxiety, and somehow think that they will feel a little better about themself if they put somebody else down. Sad but true.

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot we can do about people who are unhappy with themselves and their lot in life. Just offer up a prayer and go sit with the fun and friendly folks.

Last edited by Punki; Sep 4, 2007 at 3:44 pm Reason: sp
Old Sep 4, 2007, 2:56 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beaubo
Trying to figure out which (if any...or if all) traits I might have exhibited in BCN 04?????
wouldn't that be all of the above ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.