Fourth Annual PBI-FLL Meet: Oct 26-28, 2007

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fourth Annual PBI-FLL Meet: Oct 26-28, 2007

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2007, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by alex0683de
Is it just me, or do I spy railroad tracks near stop 11? Might it be worth hopping on the Tri-Rail from Boca to whatever stop it is in FLL and continuing on by water taxi?
I don't know offhand if there is indeed a Tri-Rail station near stop 11 of the water taxi*, but be aware that Tri-Rail operates a VERY thin schedule on weekends/holidays: only EIGHT trains per day in each direction -- i.e., approximately once every two hours. So it isn't just a matter of "hopping on" a train -- you would want to plan your timing carefully to avoid as much as a two-hour wait for the train.

On the other hand, on weekdays, Tri-Rail runs TWENTY-FIVE trains per day in each direction. Which is a good thing for me, because I'm probably going to go carless and end up using Tri-Rail to get between FLL and the Embassy Suites, and both my arrival and departure are on weekday afternoons -- hence, reasonably doable using the rail.

This means I'll have to bum rides everywhere too.

Tri-Rail schedules and fares here (already posted earlier in this thread, but here it is again):

http://www.tri-rail.com/schedules_fa..._schedules.htm

*EDIT: From looking at a map of the Ft. Lauderdale area, it appears that stops 10 and/or 11 might be roughly a mile walk from the Cypress Creek Tri-Rail station. Don't know how walkable it actually is, though (pedestrian-unfriendly roads abound in that area as in many parts of the US).

Last edited by KathyWdrf; Oct 20, 2007 at 2:21 am
Old Oct 20, 2007, 4:22 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
*EDIT: From looking at a map of the Ft. Lauderdale area, it appears that stops 10 and/or 11 might be roughly a mile walk from the Cypress Creek Tri-Rail station. Don't know how walkable it actually is, though (pedestrian-unfriendly roads abound in that area as in many parts of the US).
After a bit of work with Google Maps, I'm fairly sure that public transport is going to be more trouble than it's worth. The closest station to both Stop 11 and the Convention Center seems to be Fort Lauderdale. Here's a satellite pic. The water taxi stop is near the Las Olas Waterfront, marked with an A, the Tri-Rail station is just southwest of the freeway interchange on the left side of the picture. To get to the Convention Center, scroll further downriver and to the south until you hit a bridge with a cruise ship docked near it.

It looks to be a lot more than a mile to the water taxi, and the biggest problem, at least as far as I can tell, would be finding a pedestrian-friendly way to cross the freeway - I haven't found one yet.

So we're back to my original idea - can I bum a ride off somebody?
Old Oct 20, 2007, 4:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
So we're back to my original idea - can I bum a ride off somebody?
My gut feeling is that most people attending the Meet will have cars and 3-4 empty seats in them. My past experience with FTers is that they will always be willing to give a ride.

The only question is who will be going to the boat show. I most likely won't as I will be tied up with too many other things but if those interested in going post that fact here, I am certain that rides can be worked out for everyone.

Last edited by Dovster; Oct 20, 2007 at 1:28 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 20, 2007, 1:11 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Dovster

The only question is who will be going to the boat show. ...
Me; Driving AUCarol, Alysia, alex0683de, and Med81 with no more room for addtional bodies.

Leaving at 9:30 to the CC
Returning not earlier than a 4PM Departure from the CC.

Last edited by underpressure; Oct 23, 2007 at 5:55 pm
Old Oct 20, 2007, 1:56 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by underpressure
Me; Driving AUCarol and Alysia with room for two addtional bodies.

Leaving at 9:30 to the CC
Returning not earlier than a 4PM Departure from the CC.
OK - I'd like to grab one of those extra seats if I may!
Old Oct 20, 2007, 2:59 pm
In Memoriam

OK - I'd like to grab one of those extra seats if I may!
done, see above....
Old Oct 20, 2007, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

In one way, I am the perfect boyfriend.

Sure, I cheat on my UIG with various BAGs and flirt with other women right in front of the BAGs but that is unimportant. The key issue is that I actually enjoy going to shopping malls. Women find that irresistable.

Tonight, I headed for a mall for dinner and passed by a booth where they embroider things on baseball caps while you wait.

I figured that the Scoops thread was hate-free but that doesn't mean that the Meet has to be hat-free, so I got two of them made up.

The first, in the Israeli national colors of blue and white, reads:

FT
ISRAEL

I figured that I can't wear that while BEYFlyer goes bare-headed, so the second, in red and green of the Lebanese flag, reads:

FT
LEBANON

Then I asked myself a question: "Self, why not buy hats for everyone who is coming to the Meet?"

I immediately replied, "Self, don't be an idiot. That would cost more than a three week stay at that hotel you were at near ATL."

However, I thought that some of you might like to join in this hat-fest. Most malls have booths like this and I would love to see a bunch of people show up in FT hats showing their home countries/states/cities.

(If braefoot doesn't remember the colors of the Scottish flag, it will be acceptable if she choses a plaid hat.)
Old Oct 20, 2007, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Exclamation Service Advisory re: water taxi

I don't know if this was discussed earlier in this thread (haven't read the whole thing, I confess), but the water taxi website has this warning on the bottom of the Service Advisory page:

Blackout Period
Our daily Water Bus service is interrupted for one extended weekend every fall during the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show and on one Saturday evening in December for the Winterfest Boat Parade due to the closure of the Intracoastal Waterway. Though special fares and services may be offered, Multi-day and Annual passes are not valid for these events.
Can our boat show regulars interpret this for us?

http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderd...Advisories.Asp
Old Oct 20, 2007, 9:59 pm
In Memoriam

In one way, I am the perfect boyfriend.

Sure, I cheat on my UIG with various BAGs and flirt with other women right in front of the BAGs but that is unimportant. The key issue is that I actually enjoy going to shopping malls. Women find that irresistable.

Tonight, I headed for a mall for dinner and passed by a booth where they embroider things on baseball caps while you wait.

I figured that the Scoops thread was hate-free but that doesn't mean that the Meet has to be hat-free, so I got two of them made up.

The first, in the Israeli national colors of blue and white, reads:

FT
ISRAEL

I figured that I can't wear that while BEYFlyer goes bare-headed, so the second, in red and green of the Lebanese flag, reads:

FT
LEBANON

Then I asked myself a question: "Self, why not buy hats for everyone who is coming to the Meet?"

I immediately replied, "Self, don't be an idiot. That would cost more than a three week stay at that hotel you were at near ATL."

However, I thought that some of you might like to join in this hat-fest. Most malls have booths like this and I would love to see a bunch of people show up in FT hats showing their home countries/states/cities.

(If braefoot doesn't remember the colors of the Scottish flag, it will be acceptable if she choses a plaid hat.)
Gosh, does this mean we will not see the cowboy hat? ^

Old Oct 20, 2007, 10:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I don't know if this was discussed earlier in this thread (haven't read the whole thing, I confess), but the water taxi website has this warning on the bottom of the Service Advisory page:

Very helpful, Kathy, considering some in our group were going the water taxi route.

Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2007, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by underpressure
Gosh, does this mean we will not see the cowboy hat? ^

Yup, the cowboy hat didn't make the trip -- and neither did the famed cashmere sports jacket.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 5:19 am
In Memoriam

I will clear this up early next week. At my age, I don't want to rely on memory. I am going to bet that it was available and this this posting would suggest that the annual passes are not valid for that weekend, but I can't swear on it.

I will also go to the hotel and see if they want to offer a shuttle, if there is enough people.

Right now, it looks like we have it covered.

I'll commit to sorting this out by Thursday afternoon.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 5:21 am
In Memoriam

Yup, the cowboy hat didn't make the trip -- and neither did the famed cashmere sports jacket.
No kisses for you then.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 1:37 pm

Programs: United Milage Plus, Alaska Airlines Milage Plan, SAS Eurobonus
Request to everyone. Please read Post # 3 of this thread.

If you are on the "Possible" list, and you now know if you will be there or not, please let me know. If you don't know, please tell me as soon as you do.
Dovster and BEYFlyer, sorry to announce so late I will not be able to make it to the PBI-FLL Meet. Due to my wife having an operation early next week I will not be able to make the meet. Since I did not know the surgery schedule before this week I was not able to say any earlier Yay or Nay if I could make the meet. Had to cancel my tickets yesterday.

Hope to meet both Dovster again, and BEYFlyer for the first time at another DO another time.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 2:04 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by okflyer
Dovster and BEYFlyer, sorry to announce so late I will not be able to make it to the PBI-FLL Meet. Due to my wife having an operation early next week I will not be able to make the meet. Since I did not know the surgery schedule before this week I was not able to say any earlier Yay or Nay if I could make the meet. Had to cancel my tickets yesterday.

Hope to meet both Dovster again, and BEYFlyer for the first time at another DO another time.
you will be missed; best wishes to the missus for a speedy recovery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.