Reload this Page >

SEA DOO VIII - August 4th through 6th, 2006

Old Mar 2, 06, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold

The SEA DOO VIII Organizing Committee is pleased to announce that the eighth annual SEA DOO will be held in the lovely Emerald City from Friday, August 4th through Sunday, August 6th.

Consulting the CommunityBuzz threads for that month, it does not look like these dates conflict with any other scheduled major FT event, and in talking with many past attendees, an early August date better fits with scheduling. So we hope to see many of your there.

The actual planned events and such are still in the planning stage, though we expect to have a schedule and such firmed up very soon. The SEA crowd is meeting all month at various events, so feel free to PM or post your ideas for discussion.

The Seattle Mariners are playing at home that weekend against the Oakland Athletics, so a Friday evening baseball game is possible, either as a formal group event or as a side event for individual participants if no formal group outing is scheduled.

Many folks went on the Boeing Widebody Factory Tour in Everett last year. Boeing has changed the tour now, showcasing the 777 production line instead of the 747 one. Evidently the view of the factory floor is much better. There is also the new Future of Flight Aviation museum on the facility, so there is more to do then just the factory tour.

http://www.futureofflight.org/
http://www.futureofflight.org/exhibi...s/current.html

The Boeing Museum of Flight is also a possibility. It is a truly fantastic facility and the new “Personal Courage” wing of WWI and WWII military aircraft is exceptional. There are numerous static displays, including the first 747-100 and 737-100, as well as Concorde and SAM-970, used as Air Force One by Presidents Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, and Nixon. Both Concorde and SAM-970 allow you inside the planes.

http://www.museumofflight.org/
http://www.museumofflight.org/Display.asp?Page=Exhibits

We will, of course, have the usual Saturday "brunch and booze" at the Redhook Ale brewery, and those that wish may tour the adjoining Columbia Winery and Chateau Ste Michelle facilities.

http://www.redhook.com/
http://www.columbiawinery.com/home.asp
http://www.ste-michelle.com/

Transportation Options

King County Metro Transit offers the 194 Express and 174 (local) bus service between Seattle-Tacoma International Airport and downtown Seattle.

SoundTransit offers the 560 Express bus service between Sea-Tac and downtown Bellevue. In addition, the SoundTransit 550 runs between downtown Bellevue and downtown Seattle for those wishing to stay in Bellevue. The price for all three is $2.50 each-way.

Transit within downtown Seattle between the International District (not quite Safeco Field) and the northern edge of the Financial District (about the Westin Hotel) is free of charge.

Metro: http://transit.metrokc.gov/
SoundTransit: http://www.soundtransit.org/

Both sites offer online trip planners to help you plan.

Grayline offers the Seattle Downtown Airporter bus service between SeaTac Airport and the Crowne Plaza, Fairmont Olympic, Grand Hyatt Hotel, Hilton Hotel, Madison Renaissance, Seattle Sheraton, Warwick Hotel and Westin Hotel. Price is $10.25 each way ($17 for a round-trip ticket) and you meet the bus at the end of the South Main Terminal / A Concourse.

http://graylineseattle.com/airportexpress1.cfm

There are also airport shuttles, Town Car/Limo, and taxi services. Taxi fares to Seattle hotels are capped at I believe around $35.

I am not aware of any scheduled Airporter service to the Bellevue hotels and I believe taxi service is not capped, and a Town Car runs me around $40.

All major car rental companies have facilities at SEA, however downtown parking (be it the hotels or in garages) is not cheap. The SEA DOO Organizing Committee arranges a large transport vehicle for events outside of downtown Seattle, so it is not necessary to have a car to attend the scheduled SEA DOO events.

Hotels - Seattle

As usual, SEA-DOO does not have an official hotel. Fortunately, most chains are well-represented in downtown Seattle.

Hyatt fans have the wonderful Grand Hyatt Seattle.

Starwood Preferred Guest members can choose from the Sheraton Seattle, the W Seattle, and the Westin Seattle.

Marriott has Mariott-brand property on the Seattle waterfront, as well as a Renaissance on 6th and Madison and a Springhill Suites near Interstate 5.

Unfortunately the Seattle Hilton is not well-regarded, so the Homewood Suites or the Hampton Inn may better suit those who wish Hilton HHonors points.

For those who Priceline, a four-star downtown Seattle bid seems to historically select Westin property, while a three-star lands a non-major chain property.

Hotels - Bellevue

Bellevue (across Lake Washington from Seattle) has seen a number of new properties open since SEA DOO VII.

A new Westin has opened next to Bellevue Square, and in response the Hyatt Regency Bellevue has undergone a major room renovation program. A new Courtyard by Marriott has also opened in downtown Bellevue and there is an old Sheraton (ex-Hilton) property. The Hilton moved next door to a very nice facility which started life as a Red Lion.

Amenity Collection

It's become a SeaDoo tradition that hotel and airline amenities are collected at the Saturday night dinner for local shelters.

Last edited by SEA_Tigger; Jun 27, 06 at 10:15 pm
Old Mar 2, 06, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Initial Event List - As of 07/13/06

Friday, August 4th

Before 6:30PM - Happy Hour at McCormick & Schmick's (1103 First Avenue)

Home of the $2 Happy Hour menu, featuring hamburgers, salmon burgers, quesadillas, pot stickers, crab cakes, and other goodies.

7:05PM to Whenever - Seattle Mariners beating up on the Oakland Athletics

On a clear summer night, few things are better then the outfield bleachers of Safeco Field. Contact Spiff for tickets.

Saturday, August 5th

11:00AM to 3:00PM - Red Hook Brewery and local wineries (Woodinville, WA)

A SEA-DOO tradition. A good brunch with good friends followed by sampling lots of alcohol.

7:00PM to 9:00PM - Gordon Biersch (Seattle, WA)

A former SEA DOO eatery, Gordon Biersch Brewery & Restaurant offers an excellent selection of food and beverages.

Last edited by SEA_Tigger; Jul 29, 06 at 11:45 am
Old Mar 2, 06, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Confirmed Attendees* As Of July 30, 2006
  • AinA
  • ajnz
  • bkkth
  • Bob W
  • bobovespa
  • Dudemon and the Ms.
  • fireworksboy
  • fredmartens
  • joporto
  • jswong
  • mcrt
  • missydarlin
  • MsEverywhere
  • Seattlenerd [and Seattlenerdette?]
  • SEAUAKID
  • Shadow
  • Spiff
  • SPIT
  • tom911
  • Wireless

* - (For at least some events)

Last edited by SEA_Tigger; Aug 1, 06 at 3:24 pm
Old Mar 2, 06, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Nice job with the above. It's nice to see that you have some help.

I have to be in San Francisco that weekend; and, may be able to make a detour.

Put me down as a maybe (only if I can be guaranteed a seat in the hot tub).

Dan
Old Mar 2, 06, 6:40 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Its actually a Westin next to Bellevue Square
Old Mar 2, 06, 6:47 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I 'spose I can drive in from Bellevue for this .... color me there
Old Mar 2, 06, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I'll be there. It's also Captain Oveur B-day. Great way to celebrate it.
Old Mar 2, 06, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Count me in!
Old Mar 2, 06, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm a def maybe. I've got it on the calendar & hope to make it. I'm double-booking both Hilton & Marriott properties & will decide as it gets closer (ie, who's got best price/who do I need nights w/).

BTW - seanthepilot stayed at SEA Hilton last year & thought it was ok I believe. Given how little time we actually spend in our rooms, if someone's a Hilton person & the Hilton has better prices than HI or HS I wouldn't discard it as an option.

Sat eve event not listed, although toiletry gifts are. I'm guessing that means there will be one on Sat eve. Only reason I say that is I made the assumption, but if someone new is reading the thread they might not realize we get together Sat eve too.

Hope I can make it. Sea-Do is always a blast!

Cheers.
Old Mar 3, 06, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Plat
count me in! Love Seattle and this weekend is perfect - end of semester, just before I start my *LAST* semester of grad school!
Old Mar 3, 06, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, IcelandAir, Starbucks
Please add me +1 (joe) to the [B]maybe[B] list. If we can make it, we'll probably stay in Renton where the hotels are generally good, inexpensive (generally between $40-$60 on Hotwire), and their parking is free. Hopefully we'll see you all there!
Old Mar 3, 06, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I had to be up in Everett today, so I decided to visit the Future of Flight Museum and take the new Boeing Factory Tour.

The Museum itself is pretty sparse for exhibits (kind of reminded me of the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center when it first opened) and is mostly large plasma and LCD screens with models of the planes. So a lot more information about each one. They have a P&W 777 engine, a P&W 707 engine, and an RR engine from the Comet 1. They also have a fueselage diameter from the 787 in carbon-fibre and a cabin-mockup you can walk in on.

The new factory tour is like the old one, except they take you down to the far end where you can see the 777 being built (a 772ER for KLM and a 773ER for AF) and, starting next year, the 787 assembly line will also be visible.

All in all, as aviation buffs, you'd probably enjoy the Museum of Flight more, since there are many more exhibits and you can walk inside two of them. It's also much closer to Seattle (about 10 mins instead of 30 mins).
Old Mar 3, 06, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I personally would love to do the Museum of Flight. As I already had plans to be in Seattle that weekend, I'm sure I'll make an appearance for at least one event.
Old Mar 3, 06, 5:05 pm

Given the already shaping up attendee list and my other friends in Seattle I haven't seen in a while, I should be there.
Old Mar 3, 06, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the Hammer-man, wants to give me some hints and suggestions on how to run one... If people are only familiar with Downtown Seattle and Woodinville, I could offer the First Seattle Reality Tour! If there's interest and time for it, of course.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: