Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2006 dhammer53 Brooklyn Reality Tour takes place May 6, Saturday

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2006, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Can't address the rental car situation, but I would hazard a guess that 95% of us flying in for the Brooklyn tour aren't going to be renting cars.

I've found the Airtrain/Subway combo pretty easy - and again, for those who know me that's saying a LOT...

I think everyone's about covered the options on getting into Manhattan from the various airports pretty well.

Now if UA would only come up w/ a decent ps fare

Cheers.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 6:07 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Repeat after me:

"Do not stay in New Jersey. Do not stay in New Jersey."

Old Jan 28, 2006, 8:03 pm
Commander Catcop

Actually Spiff, there are little if any problems staying in New Jersey.

I can vouch for that, not becuase I am a Jerzee resident but I speak from experience.

You can Priceline one of the hotels in Jersey City or stay (Doubletree, Courtyard by Mariott or the Hyatt.) They are all good hotels. Transporation is very convenient. I know at least one Flyertalkers (Tom 911) maybe others who can vouch for this.

MOST and note MOST of the hotels by EWR are good. I like the Sheraton EWR. If you look on the SPG website and put in AAA rate you can get a decent rate. Also, their shuttle runs on a consistant basis. Avoid the 4 Points if you can as well as the Days Inn.

I would love to put a Flyertalker or two up at my place in my second bedroom but there are two issues;

*Will the guest bedroom be ready on time.

*Will Yaz take to strange people in his home (Eddie does not care and Onyx just wants the attention. Yaz is very very very picky on who comes into his home. ESP anyone who dares steps by "daddy's" computer or Daddy's bedroom.")

Spiff give Jersey City a chance. There's even a very good Irish pub Dorians right by most of the hotels I mentioned. Come out and I'll prove you and other Flyertalkers wrong.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Catman
... would love to put a Flyertalker or two up at my place in my second bedroom but there are two issues;...
You forgot the third and maybe major issue with this crowd. At your house there are no points or stay credits given.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Catman, the reason Spiff was posting his comment is that while the hotels in Jersey may be cheap the gazillion dollar cab ride back at oh-dawn-hundred is not, hence it may be actually cheaper to stay in Manhattan or share a room w/ an FTer in midtown.

Spiff & others lost their shirt $$wise after coming home late from the Freddies & dhammer tour last year & having to do it cabwise yada yada yada.

So unless someone is an early bird, take [/B]Spiff[B]'s advice. Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jan 28, 2006 at 11:32 pm
Old Jan 28, 2006, 11:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Spiff
"Do not stay in New Jersey. Do not stay in New Jersey."

Well, you probably don't want to be out in Atlantic City, but Jersey City will work just fine (hey, and Catman lives there ^ ), and it's pretty quick to get over there on PATH from Herald Square or the WTC station (one stop from there to the Hyatt, and you can use your Metro cards for the fare). I've done the Hyatt there a number of times on Priceline, and the PATH station is right across from it. I stayed there again at Thanksgiving when I brought my nephew back for the Macy's Parade. HERE is a photo of the Manhattan skyline, with the Hyatt on my left.

The Candelwood Suites is just a block further away, and the other hotels are at a different station, but still easily accessible. Without the hotels here, it would be hard for me to afford a NYC visit
Old Jan 28, 2006, 11:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Spiff & others lost their shirt $$wise after coming home late from the Freddies & dhammer tour last year & having to do it cabwise yada yada yada.
I checked the PATH schedule and they do run all night (every 15-30 mins after midnight). Depending where you start, and where you want to end up, though, you may need to change trains in Jersey City.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 5:35 am
Commander Catcop

Maybe some of this travel advise could be transfered to the NYC travel forum... (sorry to go off topic Dan.)

If you are coming back really really late from NYC and staying at EWR... here is what to do:

Path train runs all night (every 30 minutes after 12:45am)

Take Path to Newark Penn Station.

You can grab a cab from there for about 15-18 dollars. They are there all night.

Total cost: about $20. It's a little bit of travel but if you want extra beer money it can be worth it.

Of course my place doesn't offer points or mile but offers your choice of three cats to keep you company.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 7:54 am

I've continually said since the first Tour, that I wanted to go on one. And with my newfound PLT status on AA, I'm always looking for something that will help me requalify.

Dan, please put Studley on the maybe/I'd like to come list.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
First-timers to Brooklyn! We'd like to come.

Please include kudzu + 1 on your confirmed list.

My poor mind has always confused Brooklyn, NY with Brookline, MA; well, at least now I know which airport to fly into
Old Jan 29, 2006, 1:07 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by dhammer53
The tour is a nice way to spend the day with 24 other ''strangers' talking about how to maximize your mileage earning opportunities.
If there is only room for 24 FlyerTalk members, then please remove me from the Maybe list.

I would rather give other FlyerTalk members the opportunity to explore the borough I once called home.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
I won't make it for the tour since my flight gets in at 3h05pm at JFK

put me down for dinner, only.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dan - Take us off the bus standby list because Franny and I are going to get Chris at JFK and bring him to whatever stop the group is making next and leave him with you if there's a seat.

If not, no big deal. He'll schmooze with the gang for a while, have a coffee or a black and white or a salsicche or whatever is doing at that stop and then I'll bring him back with us to the dinner. If Canarsie is in town and not on the bus, maybe he'll come with us.

Last edited by monitor; Jan 29, 2006 at 5:14 pm Reason: To remark that if Canarsie is in town I hope he comes with us to help us navigate thru Brooklyn.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 5:42 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by monitor
If Canarsie is in town and not on the bus, maybe he'll come with us.
If I happen to be in town that weekend, monitor, I will be more than happy to help a fellow former Brooklynite navigate around.

Of course, my navigation skills will surpass those in Venice — but you already knew that after my little “marathon” from Lakewood, New Jersey to Manhattan to LaGuardia Airport a couple of years ago...
Old Jan 29, 2006, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Canarsie
...Of course, my navigation skills will surpass those in Venice...
The Venice thing was good for a few laughs because we all know that your sense of direction is one of the best and your pride in it is such that it hurt you more than it hurt us that you led us the wrong way that morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.