Wiki Posts
Search

2006 dhammer53 Brooklyn Reality Tour takes place May 6, Saturday

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2006, 1:34 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by ldsant
Of course those who know me no I have NO sense of geography at all. ..
But we know you know the way to Manhattan They speak a different language in Brooklyn, so you would be lost there.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Any of the NYC airports will work: JFK, EWR, or LGA.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Any of the NYC airports will work: JFK, EWR, or LGA.
But it's a pain in the ... or a giant cab (or even more giant limo) fare getting into town from JFK. Just about the only travelers I know who use JFK for domestic are doing nonstop transcon or live on Long Island.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:21 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by monitor
Just about the only travelers I know who use JFK for domestic are doing nonstop transcon or live on Long Island.
...or for those people who live in certain neighborhoods of Queens and Brooklyn, such as Canarsie, which is only 15 minutes away.

Ironically, John F. Kennedy International Airport is the closest airport to the “dhammer53 section” of Brooklyn where he once lived — but, of course, that is not where the dhammer53 Brooklyn Reality Tour officially begins.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
put me down as a definite maybe for this one ^
Old Jan 27, 2006, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Getting into Manhattan (the staging/meeting place for the dhammertour) from JFK is pretty easy using Airtrain/Subway combo & is cheap ($7 each way).

I used to be a cab/limo girl to Manhattan (well probably still would be if budget allowed ), but last 4 trips I've done the Airtrain/Subway combo.

And if I can do it anyone can, as dhammer will vouch for. Well ok, there was that time when I just got on the train w/o looking at the letter (Pavlov - door opens, Sharon gets on) & ended up seeing a dif part of Manhattan - hmm, I don't remember 135th being on the way to JFK

Cheers.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 4:21 pm
Commander Catcop

After several years of conflicts, I can finally make one of these.

Put me down on the list as a party of one.

Yaz, Eddie and Onyx unfortunatley cannot make the trip. Eddie hates to travel and Onyx is grounded for fighting with Yaz.

See you soon!
Old Jan 27, 2006, 4:23 pm
Commander Catcop

For anyone flying into EWR... I can direct you into Manhattan via the Airtrain/NJ Transit combo or the bus (which a lot of Flyertalkers say works just fine.)
Old Jan 27, 2006, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by monitor
But it's a pain in the ... or a giant cab (or even more giant limo) fare getting into town from JFK. Just about the only travelers I know who use JFK for domestic are doing nonstop transcon or live on Long Island.
See Sharon's comments above. And a lot of us FTers have used JFK to get to Manhattan. I've done it numerous times.

In addition to the AirTrain/subway deal for $7.00, there is also an airport bus service from JFK to Manhattan (costs around $13, I think; don't have time to look it up right now). So it's not really a pain at all, nor is it expensive (compared to a cab). It takes a bit of time, though. But then, so does a cab!

I pick my NYC destination airport based on things like flight price, schedule convenience, and service quality. The only UA nonstops from SFO are to EWR and JFK. From SFO (and LAX) to JFK, UA has only p.s. (Premium Service) . When p.s. is available at a reasonable price (which does happen), that's the way to go! ^ Hence, if you're a UA flyer, it can be worthwhile to fly to JFK instead of EWR. @:-)
Old Jan 27, 2006, 4:35 pm

I nearly did this last year, but the dates didn't quite work in the end. This year is looking good, and I have bump vouchers to burn. Put me down on the "I'd really love to come and I'm not just saying that" list. When would I need to confirm (ie ticket) by? 1st March?
Old Jan 27, 2006, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Catman
For anyone flying into EWR... I can direct you into Manhattan via the Airtrain/NJ Transit combo or the bus (which a lot of Flyertalkers say works just fine.)
Either one works just fine, indeed. However, if the pickup point is near Grand Central, the airport bus from EWR will be more convenient. You catch it right outside the air terminal (NO connector as with NJ Transit), and it stops at Penn Station, then Grand Central.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
See Sharon's comments above. And a lot of us FTers have used JFK to get to Manhattan. I've done it numerous times.

In addition to the AirTrain/subway deal for $7.00, there is also an airport bus service from JFK to Manhattan (costs around $13, I think; don't have time to look it up right now). So it's not really a pain at all, nor is it expensive (compared to a cab). It takes a bit of time, though. But then, so does a cab!

I pick my NYC destination airport based on things like flight price, schedule convenience, and service quality. The only UA nonstops from SFO are to EWR and JFK. From SFO (and LAX) to JFK, UA has only p.s. (Premium Service) . When p.s. is available at a reasonable price (which does happen), that's the way to go! ^ Hence, if you're a UA flyer, it can be worthwhile to fly to JFK instead of EWR. @:-)
Your last paragraph endorses my statement above that many who do domestic transcon use JFK, so no argument there.

However, last week coming off an international flight, I needed to rent a car at JFK and got on the miserable internal rail transport gizmo. There was no signage to clearly indicate how to get to the rental car center so a guess produced a need to transfer after overrunning a turnoff. The next train went all the way to some terminal bypassing the rental car center, and then sat there for a while before turning around and finally getting us where we needed to go.

Then, if I understand it properly, one gets on another monrail type thing which takes you to the Jamaica Station of the (ugh) LIRR or maybe the Sutphin Boulevard E train stop. So if you're going anywhere but to midtown, after you have changed at Jamaica, when the train gets to Manhattan you need to change again. To me that adds up to four (count them) changes mostly at stations that IIRC have no escalators, and probably two hours of traveling. It is probably OK I guess for someone without much baggage, but it seems to me that if you have bags, it cannot be the best alternative. That does not sound like much of a good train to the plane deal as far as I can tell. A good train to the plane deal is like, Hong Kong. Even EWR has a much better train to the plane.

And Dan, sadly enough many Manhattan people (not yours truly who grew up out there) figure that Queens is "Long Island." How do they know? They shop at Costco which is right across the 59th Street bridge in a area known as Long Island City.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Monitor,

I fly into JFK on the non-stop UA P.S. transcons. Wouldn't have it any other way. From JFK to my house in Westchester County takes 35-40 minutes off-peak. Sure beats changing planes at ORD to fly into LGA or the usually high priced HPN.
================================================== =============

I've updated the list.

The dhammer53 Brooklyn Reality Tour welcomes new FT'ers, and long time FT'ers to join us. The tour is a nice way to spend the day with 24 other ''strangers' talking about how to maximize your mileage earning opportunities.
I can promise you that you won't be bored.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry7230/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

monitor, you only need to take ONE hop on the AirTrain to get to the subway station of your choice -- not two.

Admittedly, the AirTrain signage is confusing. Be aware that on one side of the station is a loop that just circles through the various terminals (IIRC). Perhaps you got on that train and looped for awhile before getting off and catching the correct train on the other side? The system is non-intuitive.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 7:58 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Kathy is correct. The JFK Airtrain takes you directly to Jamaca - where there are elevators and escalators (as there are at JFK where you boarded). That station allows you to get on the LIRR (if you were headed East) or the E train.

True, to get anywhere the E train doesn't go, you will need to transfer, but you would have this same problem if you took the bus from EWR or LGA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.