Search

SIN Run 2006

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:38 am
mjm
Original Member
Original Poster

Kev,

What is this? Some kind of attempt to see if I really can play with HTML that fast? :-)

No worries sir, I have the updates in place as I type. See you soon,

Mike

Originally Posted by kluau88
Change in plans...Still arriving on Thursday evening, but now departing on Monday AM. Should be around for Friday evening and Saturday day activities. Have plans Saturday evening and most of Sunday.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:47 am

Location: Based in London but away ~4 months a year, often in Bali
Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by serfty
tipping? in Singapore?

As mjm said, tipping is not needed in Singapore. Just think of it as a European city in terms of how most things work. It's certainly a match in terms of development, though much cheaper. I say European as restaurants charge service and waiters/waitresses are paid reasonably so tipping there is a nicety rather than required.

Personally I round-up S$0.5-1 in taxis as I have chatted to enough drivers to know how tough things are for them.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 1:19 am

Location: Based in London but away ~4 months a year, often in Bali
Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Hunki
We are thinking about going to Kuala Lumpur after this party. Does anybody have any advice on how to get there and what to do when we arrive?
Seems a bit wrong suggesting this on a mileage run, but if cost is moderately important and you still want to take in KL then you should seriously consider taking a luxury coach. No miles, and no lounges but it's a lot cheaper - well under $100 return - with good comfort level and a door to door time not much off flying.

I'd recommend first class with Transtar Travel: +65 6299 9009 :: http://www.transtar.com.sg

There is also www.plusliner.com or www.aeroline.com.my
Old Jan 6, 2006, 8:14 am

Looks like I will be in SIN next weekend. Please put me down for dinner on Saturday. I'll bring a friend.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Originally Posted by shortfinals
If you're on SQ1 connecting through there's no time to have a shower as you've got be rescreened at security. Besides, it'd be at some really early hour and probably a little cold too.
Got plenty of time...done it b4 buddy! The water is a tad cold though....not sure if they fixed it already...o well, will find out next week.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Originally Posted by manar
I'd recommend first class with Transtar Travel: +65 6299 9009 :: http://www.transtar.com.sg
I second this recommendation. IIRC, it stops near Ritz Carlton in KL.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:24 am

Programs: UA1KMM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Thanks manar

Seems a bit wrong suggesting this on a mileage run, but if cost is moderately important and you still want to take in KL then you should seriously consider taking a luxury coach.
Punki and I have some Singaporean friends who made this same suggestion when we met with them in Tucson last month, so the luxury coach was our original plan.

In true FlyerTalk fashion, however, we were swayed to flying first on SQ and MF so we could check out their respective first-class lounges and, thereafter, be in a position to properly compare them with the UA RCC.

BTW, mjm, we will probably be spending Sunday evening with our Singaporean friends and not make the night safari.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA,UA,HH,Marriott
Thanks for the help, Manar.. I appreciate all I can get. ^

Originally Posted by manar
As mjm said, tipping is not needed in Singapore. Just think of it as a European city in terms of how most things work. It's certainly a match in terms of development, though much cheaper. I say European as restaurants charge service and waiters/waitresses are paid reasonably so tipping there is a nicety rather than required.

Personally I round-up S$0.5-1 in taxis as I have chatted to enough drivers to know how tough things are for them.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 6:03 pm
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by ws8n
Got plenty of time...done it b4 buddy! The water is a tad cold though....not sure if they fixed it already...o well, will find out next week.
In my limited experience on taking SQ1, yes, you have time for the shower, as long as you walk fast towards the security and to the lounge. But again, it depends on the other pax who takes shower before you. I know some would really take a very long shower...
Old Jan 6, 2006, 7:55 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Thumbs down Skl-sfo

Originally Posted by CGK
....yes, you have time for the shower, as long as you walk fast towards the security and to the lounge. But again, it depends on the other pax who takes shower before you. I know some would really take a very long shower...
I would also bring clorox or tilex and a pair of beach slippers. The tiled floor is visibly moldy and yucky. Last April I was there, the purple towels were smelly, torn with holes and stained. I showed them to the agent, she said ''oh, sorry", and put them aside.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 8:33 pm
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by belle3388
I would also bring clorox or tilex and a pair of beach slippers. The tiled floor is visibly moldy and yucky. Last April I was there, the purple towels were smelly, torn with holes and stained. I showed them to the agent, she said ''oh, sorry", and put them aside.
Is this at SFO? Gosh, has not been there for a very long time. But I don't reacll they use purple towel. It's regular white.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
In true FlyerTalk fashion, however, we were swayed to flying first on SQ and MF so we could check out their respective first-class lounges and, thereafter, be in a position to properly compare them with the UA RCC.
I can't wait to hear that comparison!! IMHO the SKL SIN F and the MH F in KUL are two of the finest lounges in the world....We could only "wish" to have things like this in our RCC's.....Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!

Best wishes, Dave
Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:58 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Unfortunately I really won't be able to make it all the way to SIN this year... Rain check, okay?

BUT I will be in HKG 01/13 to 01/16, at least if my luck as a non-rev'er on LX holds. Maybe some of you pass through there on the way to Singapore?
Old Jan 7, 2006, 2:33 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by bseller
I can't wait to hear that comparison!! IMHO the SKL SIN F and the MH F in KUL are two of the finest lounges in the world....We could only "wish" to have things like this in our RCC's.....Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!

Best wishes, Dave
To be honest, Krug/Dom apart, I think the MH F lounge at KUL is slightly better than the SKL F at Changi, although they could do with putting more effort into keeping the supposedly hot food hot in the MH lounge.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 2:51 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Question

Sorry if I missed this: anybody staying at the Marriott?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.