November Venice Meet: II

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

November Venice Meet: II

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2004, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Dovster
From the restaurant's website:

Per chi non ama il pesce, o preferisce cambiare il menu, Vini da Gigio offre delle appetitose soluzioni culinarie. Inseriamo un esempio:

Antipasto :
Carpaccio di manzo con rucola e parmiggiano (oppure) Affettato di salumi misto con formaggio fritto
Primo:
Misto con risotto funghi e Penne gorgonzola e pistacchi
Secondo:
Tagliata di manzo al pepe rosa e aceto balsamico
Formaggio:
Piccola selezione di formaggi italiani
Dessert:
Semifreddo diplomatico al gianduia in salsa vaniglia

Actually, this sounds pretty good to me. However, I was too lazy to translate it for the rest of you, so I ran it through the Babel Fish Translation site:

For who it does not love the fish, or it prefers to change the menu, Wines from Gigio offer of the appetizing culinarie solutions. We insert an example: Appetizer: Carpaccio of manzo with rucola and parmiggiano (or) Mannered of salumi mixed with fried cheese First: Second compound with risotto fungi and Pens gorgonzola and pistachio nuts: Cut of manzo to the pepper rose and balsamic vinegar Cheese: Small selection of Italian cheeses Dessert: Diplomatic Semifreddo to the gianduia in sauce vaniglia

By the way, shouldn't the translation read as follows?

For who it does not love the fish, or it prefers to change the menu, Wines from Gigio offer of the appetizing culinarie solutions. We insert an example: Appetizer: Carpaccio of manzo with rucola and parmiggiano (or) Mannered of salumi mixed with fried cheese First: compound with risotto fungi and Pens gorgonzola and pistachio nuts Second: Cut of manzo to the pepper rose and balsamic vinegar Cheese: Small selection of Italian cheeses Dessert: Diplomatic Semifreddo to the gianduia in sauce vaniglia
Old Oct 31, 2004, 7:13 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
You're going to have to step it up a notch to turn my stomach....

Originally Posted by belle3388
On that note, Cholula, care to join me one day to 'authentic' Dim Sum? (chicken feet and all? )
In my previous life, I was the Director of Marketing for a major Asian food brand. And, as such, spent a considerable amount of time in the Far East sourcing new products.
I didn't hit the tourist spots in these countries. I was pretty much in the boondocks and was subjected to foods that would gag a maggot.
Such delights as frog stew, monkey burgers, sea slug soup, stir-fried snake skin and...my personal favorite...a dish loosely translated as "Ants Climbing a Tree" ...were the norm.
After those culinary experiences, some chicken feet dim sum would have me salivating....
Old Oct 31, 2004, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat

Originally Posted by Cholula
Such delights as frog stew, monkey burgers, sea slug soup, stir-fried snake skin and...my personal favorite...a dish loosely translated as "Ants Climbing a Tree"
ANYTHING covered with Tabasco Sauce.

Did I step it up enough?
Old Oct 31, 2004, 7:49 am

Angry You really know my "HOT" button....

ANYTHING covered with Tabasco Sauce.

Did I step it up enough?
That DID it Dovster!!

Where's a barf bag when you need one......??
Old Oct 31, 2004, 8:49 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
From the restaurant's website:

Per chi non ama il pesce, o preferisce cambiare il menu, Vini da Gigio offre delle appetitose soluzioni culinarie. Inseriamo un esempio:

Antipasto :
Carpaccio di manzo con rucola e parmiggiano (oppure) Affettato di salumi misto con formaggio fritto
Primo:
Misto con risotto funghi e Penne gorgonzola e pistacchi
Secondo:
Tagliata di manzo al pepe rosa e aceto balsamico
Formaggio:
Piccola selezione di formaggi italiani
Dessert:
Semifreddo diplomatico al gianduia in salsa vaniglia

Actually, this sounds pretty good to me. However, I was too lazy to translate it for the rest of you, so I ran it through the Babel Fish Translation site:
Judi and I just purchased "The Marling Menu-Master for Italy" a very neat guide that provides very good translation for Italian dishes.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Judi and I just purchased "The Marling Menu-Master for Italy" a very neat guide that provides very good translation for Italian dishes.
I never have any need for a translation of Italian dishes. When I start hitting on them, their "NO!" is extremely clear.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 1:19 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
just a suggestion...

Originally Posted by Punki
O2K, we are both in for dinner. While Hunki eats anything, I only eat grilled skinless white chicken meat, grilled fish, brown rice, vegetables and fruit. I eat no fried foods, red meat, white bread, cream sauces or dessert. I don't mind paying 52 Euros for dinner if they can prepare good food that I can eat--i.e. massive mixed salads with grilled chicken breasts and olive oil based dressing (on the side) and vegetables and/or brown rice--but I will be very disappointed to pay that much if they can't meet my dietary restrictions.

If they can't, just let me know and I will eat before I come and just enjoy the company and perhaps some wine.
Surely by taking much time and effort in organising this DO dinner, OB2K has planned a balanced/fair menu for all. I do not care for cheese or certain animal meat myself, but no doubt there WILL be something I could eat amongst the many courses served. So, if the above is absolutely what you must eat daily and cannot deviate, instead of being apprehensive/disappointed and end up paying 52 Euros for sure foods that are not allowed in your 'dietary restrictions', then why not follow your own advice: plan to eat before the gathering, come join us later at the restaurant and have some wine?

It's a win-win, no?
Old Oct 31, 2004, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Red face

Wow Punki, I admire your willpower to stick to such a restricted diet, I wish I could.

Don't you ever want to say ... and eat that Chocolate Brownie Sundae with lots of fudge, nuts, whipped cream and a cherry?
Old Oct 31, 2004, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL PM MM
Oh dear.....it looks like large area of VCE has been flooded for the past five days Hope it dries up for the do!
Old Oct 31, 2004, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Isn't VCE always flooded????

And I am already missing being on this trip... sniff, cry, sniffle....
Old Oct 31, 2004, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dorlee
Oh dear.....it looks like large area of VCE has been flooded for the past five days Hope it dries up for the do!
I've been tracking the VCE weather for the last few months. Here's the latest and greatest for the next five days:

Current conditions for
Venice, Italy
As of Nov 01, 2004 3:50 AM

*LOCAL FORECAST
Sunday night : Cloudy with periods of light rain. Low 59F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80%.

Monday : Rain. High 68F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80%. Rainfall near a quarter of an inch.

Monday night : Thunderstorms likely. Low 61F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 90%.

Tuesday : Thunderstorms in the morning followed by occasional showers in the afternoon. High around 70F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80%.

Tuesday (24 hours) : Showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the upper 50s.

Wednesday (24 hours) : Cloudy with rain. Highs in the mid 60s and lows in the upper 50s.

Thursday (24 hours) : Occasional showers possible. Highs in the mid 60s and lows in the low 50s.
Sounds a bit damp at this point...... .
Old Oct 31, 2004, 9:20 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

cholula you have to stop tracking the weather. You are doing what I am doing re: electoral college. I am trying to divine votes and weather. Sit back and relax. FYI, Marco Musco did tell me that he was taking a submarine back home today. Sometimes the water is high. That is just a fact of VCE.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
cholula you have to stop tracking the weather. You are doing what I am doing re: electoral college. I am trying to divine votes and weather. Sit back and relax. FYI, Marco Musco did tell me that he was taking a submarine back home today. Sometimes the water is high. That is just a fact of VCE.
Actually, I enjoy rain as I rarely see it...the past two weeks and 9 1/2 inches of rain here in So. CA notwithstanding.
I'm just playing Willard Scott for those who are not up to speed on VCE weather.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

I have just had the best possible news -- Canarsie sent me an e-mail asking to be on the "Definite" list. Naturally, I rushed to do so.

This, of course, means that Canarsie, Cholula, and I will be on equal grounds during any battles of wit. Canarsie invariable sides with Cholula. As the known theorum says:

Canarsie wit + Cholula wit = Dovster wit.

(I am not bragging. I have, after all, only a normal wit. It just happens that these two are half-wits.)

Traveller, as this means that Canarsie will not be available in the U.S. to continue your torrid, illicit, affair during this period you might as well change your mind and come to VCE.

As for Venice flooding -- don't worry. It never stops anybody from enjoying the city and it can well be flooded on Monday with the waters receded on Tuesday.

(In fact, the only thing I ever saw recede as quickly as a Venetian flood was my hairline.)
Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:39 pm

(I am not bragging. I have, after all, only a normal wit. It just happens that these two are half-wits.)
Truly excellent news about Canarsie!! For those who have not yet met him, you're in for a treat!
As to the comment above, Canarsie and I have agreed to attend the Meet with half our brains tied behind our back....just so it would be a level playing field for Dovster.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.