Reload this Page >

Longest tenured and active FT poster

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest tenured and active FT poster

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2022, 7:56 am

I know I had a subscription to Randy’s magazine I think it was called Inside Flyer?
Before there was Flyertalk or any sort of online presence of anything.
dhammer53 and pbjag like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 8:26 am

Location: San Francisco, CA Frmr AA Plat AW Plat Frmr UA 1K Frmr HGP Plat now just UA 1MM/1P
Honestly, is there really so much difference between pre 2000 and say, 2003s like myself? It is like the difference in ages between teenagers vs. retirees - important for the former, largely irrelevant for the latter.

Furthermore, I think it is safe to say we are all in at least the 2nd new era since that period, which in turn was at least 2 new eras from the 1970s/1980s commercial aviation explosion.
I think early FT membership is simply a level of nerdiness combined with a requisite of moderate to high level of travel in the late 1990s/early 2000s.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by c1ue
Honestly, is there really so much difference between pre 2000 and say, 2003s like myself? It is like the difference in ages between teenagers vs. retirees - important for the former, largely irrelevant for the latter.

Furthermore, I think it is safe to say we are all in at least the 2nd new era since that period, which in turn was at least 2 new eras from the 1970s/1980s commercial aviation explosion.
I think early FT membership is simply a level of nerdiness combined with a requisite of moderate to high level of travel in the late 1990s/early 2000s.
I can't argue with this, but this thread began with what I think is a legitimate question and took off from there. I don't think anyone's original joining date matters much - and never did. I don't think anyone else here thinks it does, either. So, to the extent that this post seems to disagree with something, I think it disagrees with a non-existent straw man.
nnn and Paella747 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 9:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I am still MileKing and I am still here. Hard to believe it’s been 24+ years. Don’t travel for work now and can’t say I miss it all that much.
Sweet Willie, 24.05.2004 and nnn like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 12:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by MileKing
I am still MileKing and I am still here. Hard to believe it’s been 24+ years. Don’t travel for work now and can’t say I miss it all that much.
I am 68 years old and I will still be traveling on business for another 8-10 years (I hope).

In fact, for my 68th birthday, I flew transcon to EWR the day before, drove to Times Square for walking/dinner, went to a BW in mid-Jersey to sleep, met client for breakfast at 7am Jersey time (4am my time), then drove to NYC (for the second time in 24 hours) for an afternoon meeting, then took the 9pm transcon back to LA and then drove home to OC at 2am. Just wanted to prove that I could still do it.
SK, SPN Lifer, 24.05.2004 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I was an early subscriber to Randy’s monthly (printed & mailed) publication and even met up with him for the first time when we were both in London at his office in that city in those early years before FT online. However, while I lurked for a year or so, finally signed onto this place in 1999 during the takeover/merger of AC and CP up here. I’ve made some great friendships among members here and it’s great to see some early members (mjm who took me to my first authentic ramen shed in Tokyo, dhammer and his magical mystery tour of Brooklyn) here.

Dorian, Catman and I (after an afternoon of travel talk in a Toronto brewpub) created a very crude companion bulletin board for posting recommendations of restaurants and must-see sites in various cities where FTers and others could share such information. After a few months we offered it to Randy (gratis) and it became the basis of a new set of fora where such advice could be posted.

However, haven’t a clue what number I am…never even knew that such a thing existed!
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
I know I had a subscription to Randy’s magazine I think it was called Inside Flyer?
Before there was Flyertalk or any sort of online presence of anything.
He also published an annual directory showing details of all airline, hotel, car rental and credit card programs.
mjm, dhammer53, 24.05.2004 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Sweet Willie; May 5, 2023 at 11:29 am Reason: combine
Old Apr 12, 2022, 9:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Shareholder
However, haven’t a clue what number I am…never even knew that such a thing existed!
According to the method described above to look up your member number, it is 1119.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 2:13 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Shareholder
I was an early subscriber to Randy’s monthly (printed & mailed) publication and even met up with him for the first time when we were both in London at his office in that city in those early years before FT online. However, while I lurked for a year or so, finally signed onto this place in 1999 during the takeover/merger of AC and CP up here. I’ve made some great friendships among members here and it’s great to see some early members (mjm who took me to my first authentic ramen shed in Tokyo, dhammer and his magical mystery tour of Brooklyn) here.

Dorian, Catman and I (after an afternoon of travel talk in a Toronto brewpub) created a very crude companion bulletin board for posting recommendations of restaurants and must-see sites in various cities where FTers and others could share such information. After a few months we offered it to Randy (gratis) and it became the basis of a new set of fora where such advice could be posted.

Long time, good times (Kaotan Ramen, yum!)
Old Apr 18, 2022, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Excellent. Tnx I figured that the mods / admins had access to registration info that regular users don't have.
Admins, Community Director and at least some Senior Moderators definitely do have access of that sort.

I've managed to post on FT at least once every 3-5 days for at least the past 16+ years. But longest tenured that isn't.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I've managed to post on FT at least once every 3-5 days for at least the past 16+ years. But longest tenured that isn't.
Just one of the mostest.

David
Old May 4, 2022, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Those were the days my friend !!
And as Joni Mitchell said - we thought they would never end
But they did
Old May 9, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Holy smokes, I just noticed that I joined in 2002... User number 10225, so I guess that's nowhere near the "original" concept. Plus my post count is really low. I've been much more of a lurker than a poster and I took a long hiatus from FT as my travel slowed down dramatically.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
Holy smokes, I just noticed that I joined in 2002... User number 10225, so I guess that's nowhere near the "original" concept. Plus my post count is really low. I've been much more of a lurker than a poster and I took a long hiatus from FT as my travel slowed down dramatically.
I've spent 20 years on FlyerTalk
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 5, 2023, 1:37 am

Happy 25th anniversary to the original May 5thers! (however arbitrary that date may be) (Find all posts by 3544quebec = member 5)

(That is not me partying but how I looked after checking all the details on my 36 coupon RTW travel ticket booklet)

Last edited by 3544quebec; May 5, 2023 at 1:48 am
Old May 5, 2023, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by sbrower
Buy a lifetime pass to the Admiral's Club. Better deal than paying every year for the past 40 years AND I would still be allowed to use the Club even when I am flying another airline (yes, I am still VERY bitter about that change in the rules).

P.S. I show as May 5, 1998 and I think I have viewed the board at least once a day EVERY day since then (minus, I would estimate, 10-20 days a year when I was sick/no internet/etc.)
in the 1990s my mother used to lament about my father not buying Admiral’s Club lifetime membership. I took it too much to heart, combined with my parents having National Geographic magazine since the 1960s… and I bought myself a lifetime subscription for National Geographic magazine that I never read!

I should see if I can find my father’s old Admirals Club membership plaques from the 1970s. I think they’re plaques. I last really looked at them 20+ years ago.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Sweet Willie; May 6, 2023 at 9:56 am Reason: remove off topic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.