LEX Horse & Bourbon DO XVIII, Oct 8-10, 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LEX Horse & Bourbon DO XVIII, Oct 8-10, 2021

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2021, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by rxgeek
Did you find a hotel? I haven't cancelled my room at the Courtyard Lexington North yet if you or anyone else wants to book a reservation right after I cancel.
I'm backing out since we are going to Italy instead. Toomanybooks, you can remove me from the list.
Sorry you won't be able to make it but Italy sounds like a reasonable excuse. Have a glass of Barolo for me! I think I'm set on hotel for now. Have placeholders booked at least but thank you for the offer of taking over your CY LEX North reservation - I actually booked that place for Sat-Sun nights, rate averaged about $157/night. How does that compare to what you booked?

Cocobird - if there is still space at your table 6:30 Friday night at Merrick, may I join all y'all?

All - who will still be around Sunday night for dinner? I can take on the challenge of Sunday dinner reservations.

Edited to add - going to have to go to the secondary market for reserved seating at KEE. Anyone interested? Preferred day?

Last edited by Herb687; Sep 10, 2021 at 1:49 pm Reason: KEE seating
Old Sep 10, 2021, 1:59 pm

Programs: US, HH
Originally Posted by Herb687
Sorry you won't be able to make it but Italy sounds like a reasonable excuse. Have a glass of Barolo for me! I think I'm set on hotel for now. Have placeholders booked at least but thank you for the offer of taking over your CY LEX North reservation - I actually booked that place for Sat-Sun nights, rate averaged about $157/night. How does that compare to what you booked?

Cocobird - if there is still space at your table 6:30 Friday night at Merrick, may I join all y'all?

All - who will still be around Sunday night for dinner? I can take on the challenge of Sunday dinner reservations.

Edited to add - going to have to go to the secondary market for reserved seating at KEE. Anyone interested? Preferred day?
I’m leaving Monday so will be interested in Sunday dinner, if outdoors. If outdoors is a challenge, happy to help checking places.

I’d be up for reserved seating on Friday first choice, otherwise Saturday.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver

Delighted you're joining us at Merrick.

Wish I could make Sunday dinner, but have a flight out that night at 8pm (unless everyone wants to eat super early....). Perhaps I can stop by to say my goodbyes and have an appetizer.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 3:10 pm

Horse farm tours

I looked up which horse farm tours list dates for our DO weekend. I know some of us have been to Jonabell, and some people may have been to some of the others listed below. I know I have been to the retired horses farm (not sure if the same one listed below) and one other, which Herb687 might be able to refresh my memory about (I’m thinking it may have been Mill Ridge but not sure).

Can anybody make any specific recommendations from the list below? (You can find all the tours at https://visithorsecountry.com)

Tours range from $20-$40, there are others for much more, and others on other dates but not this weekend.

Coolmore at Ashford Stud Oct 8, 2.30pm (stallions)

Runnymeade, Oct 8,9,10 (oldest continuously operated thoroughbred farm in KY)

Claiborne Farm, Oct 8,9,10 (home of Secretariat)

TRF at Chestnut Hill, Oct 8,9,10 (retired thoroughbreds)

Spendthrift Farm, Oct 9 (stallion complex)

Keeneridge, Oct 9, 10 am, 4 spots (yearlings)

Spy Coast Farm Grand Tour, Oct 8,9,10 (show jumping)

Mill Ridge Farm, Oct 9, 3.30pm (nursery farm)

Saxony Farm, Oct 8,9 (nursery farm)

Jonabell, Oct 8,9,10 (a number of us have been at this one)

Visit Hallway Feeds, Oct 11, 10 am (feed store, read their write-up, they’re also listed on the horse farm passport)

Kentucky Equine Adoption Center, Oct 8,9 (KY’s only all-breed rescue)

Three Chimneys, Oct 8,9,10 (home of Gun Runner, Palace Malice, Volatile)

Secretariat Center, Oct 8 (adoption center for former race horses)
Old Sep 10, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Would like to join you on the horse tour. I've only been to Mill Ridge, Old Friends (retired thoroughbreds), and WinStar Stallions (not on your list). Enjoyed all three.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 5:22 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Dupe post.

Last edited by rxgeek; Sep 10, 2021 at 5:24 pm Reason: Dupe post
Old Sep 10, 2021, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
I'd be interested in a Sunday dinner.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 8:46 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
I will be around on Sunday and would like to join whatever Sunday dinner plans end up happening.

I would love to eat at Merrick Inn on Friday, but it looks like we only one table for 6, and I would rather leave it for others (unless we somehow get more seats).
Old Sep 10, 2021, 8:56 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by GrjApp
I looked up which horse farm tours list dates for our DO weekend. I know some of us have been to Jonabell, and some people may have been to some of the others listed below. I know I have been to the retired horses farm (not sure if the same one listed below) and one other, which Herb687 might be able to refresh my memory about (I’m thinking it may have been Mill Ridge but not sure).
Originally Posted by cocobird
Would like to join you on the horse tour. I've only been to Mill Ridge, Old Friends (retired thoroughbreds), and WinStar Stallions (not on your list). Enjoyed all three.
I remember going to Old Friends with you guys, I think 2 years ago?

I still haven't finalized my plans yet but I am most likely leaving on Monday, so should be around Sunday night and would be interested in dinner.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
I remember going to Old Friends with you guys, I think 2 years ago?
Yes it was Old Friends! I remember a few of us went. They weren’t on that list, don’t recall if they used to be.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Because of meetings following, will not be able to stick around LEX on Sunday evening since out of CVG early on Monday AM.

If there are folks who'll be in the CVG area on Sunday night, I'd welcome an opportunity to get together there for dinner.

David
Old Sep 11, 2021, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Yes it was Old Friends! I remember a few of us went. They weren’t on that list, don’t recall if they used to be.
CBS piece on Old Friends:

GrjApp likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
That was Hurstland Farm:
http://hurstlandfarm.com/wp/

Can anybody make any specific recommendations from the list below? (You can find all the tours at https://visithorsecountry.com)
Claiborne Farm, Oct 8,9,10 (home of Secretariat) - always a good tour and a place steeped with history. Been there at least 3 times. Always willing to go back.

Mill Ridge Farm, Oct 9, 3.30pm (nursery farm) - been there twice now; great tour with plenty of opportunities to feed carrots to babies!

Three Chimneys, Oct 8,9,10 (home of Gun Runner, Palace Malice, Volatile) - this is where some of us got to witness Sky Mesa do the deed several years back; not really a farm tour comment but I'd like to point out that Gun Runner is a good young sire who deserves a KY Derby Sire Futures Pool bet; his first crop of 2YO runners have been winning at a nice clip this year, including a big (and profitable!) upset by Gunite in the Hopeful on closing day at The Spa.

I’m leaving Monday so will be interested in Sunday dinner, if outdoors. If outdoors is a challenge, happy to help checking places.
I'd certainly prefer outdoor dining too. Not sure what our options are for outdoor on a Sunday night.

One possible location: The Stave in "Millville" (quotes since like OAK, there's no there there) - new joint out in the hinterlands near Glenn's Creek, Castle & Key, Woodford Reserve that appears to have a lot of outdoor seating:
https://www.facebook.com/TheStaveKentucky/

Eppings on Eastside is a great new place in town but from what I recall, no outdoor dining.

Cole's 725 Main has a small outdoor patio but usually a tough reservation.

Closed Sundays but I would like to propose a Thursday dinner location for those who arrive in town early: The Sage Rabbit:
https://www.thesagerabbit.com/

(One might be able to walk from Chevy Chase Inn to The Sage Rabbit if taking advantage of CCI's 5:30 BOGO deal)

I’d be up for reserved seating on Friday first choice, otherwise Saturday.
Surprisingly availability is better on Stubhub for Saturday at the moment. A few different sections available at $51/ticket. I think there was something at ~$45 for Friday but from memory it was in row A (the unmasked masses milling about in the aisle right in front of the seats?)
Old Sep 12, 2021, 7:59 pm

Closed Sundays but I would like to propose a Thursday dinner location for those who arrive in town early: The Sage Rabbit:

(One might be able to walk from Chevy Chase Inn to The Sage Rabbit if taking advantage of CCI's 5:30 BOGO deal)
I'd be interested in Thursday dinner since I'm coming in Wednesday evening.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 10:38 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
That was Hurstland Farm:
http://hurstlandfarm.com/wp/

Claiborne Farm, Oct 8,9,10 (home of Secretariat) - always a good tour and a place steeped with history. Been there at least 3 times. Always willing to go back.

Mill Ridge Farm, Oct 9, 3.30pm (nursery farm) - been there twice now; great tour with plenty of opportunities to feed carrots to babies!

Three Chimneys, Oct 8,9,10 (home of Gun Runner, Palace Malice, Volatile) - this is where some of us got to witness Sky Mesa do the deed several years back; not really a farm tour comment but I'd like to point out that Gun Runner is a good young sire who deserves a KY Derby Sire Futures Pool bet; his first crop of 2YO runners have been winning at a nice clip this year, including a big (and profitable!) upset by Gunite in the Hopeful on closing day at The Spa.

I'd certainly prefer outdoor dining too. Not sure what our options are for outdoor on a Sunday night.

One possible location: The Stave in "Millville" (quotes since like OAK, there's no there there) - new joint out in the hinterlands near Glenn's Creek, Castle & Key, Woodford Reserve that appears to have a lot of outdoor seating:
https://www.facebook.com/TheStaveKentucky/

Eppings on Eastside is a great new place in town but from what I recall, no outdoor dining.

Cole's 725 Main has a small outdoor patio but usually a tough reservation.

Surprisingly availability is better on Stubhub for Saturday at the moment. A few different sections available at $51/ticket. I think there was something at ~$45 for Friday but from memory it was in row A (the unmasked masses milling about in the aisle right in front of the seats?)
Originally Posted by cocobird
I'd be interested in Thursday dinner since I'm coming in Wednesday evening.
I'm also interested in Thursday dinner!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.