Off we go... to Nagoya, for Japan Do #8 10-12 April 2020 [postponed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Summary of Events (provisional)

Thursday 9 April, 7pm ~ Meet and Greet Drinks (TBD)
Friday 10 April, 10am ~ Tour of Nagoya
Friday 10 April, 7pm ~ Official Do Dinner (TBD)
Saturday 11 April, 8:30am ~ Day trip to Ise Shrines (Post 43)
Sunday 12 April, 9:00am ~ Day trip / hiking in Kiso Valley (Post 44)
Print Wikipost

Off we go... to Nagoya, for Japan Do #8 10-12 April 2020 [postponed]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:44 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Sigh. Don’t think I can make it this time. Been spending too many miles (SQ J PVG-SIN-WLG and CHC-SIN-PVG, and then BR/SQ J PVG-TPE-SIN) recently, and Coronavirus is sending me out of work for maybe half a year...
Don’t miss the unagi rice specialty in Nagoya!
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Looking forward to attending but watching https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japa...act-japan.html has me a bit concerned that logistics may become a problem. Any thoughts?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 1:07 am

Programs: JGC / OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by angra
Looking forward to attending but watching https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japa...act-japan.html has me a bit concerned that logistics may become a problem. Any thoughts?
At this point, it hasn't had any effect on everyday life here. I doubt that will change unless something drastic happens.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by whkento
At this point, it hasn't had any effect on everyday life here. I doubt that will change unless something drastic happens.
With that said...

I am not happy about how the situation was handled aboard the Diamond Princess. In fact, I'm not happy with any of the Japanese government's decisions regarding handling the whole COVID-19 situation. There is no CDC equivalent here. Apparently decisions are being made by government bureaucrats, which is alarming.

We recently had a couple return to Nagoya from a vacation in Hawaii. The husband got sick and was diagnosed as having COVID-19. He went to the hospital. His wife went home. When she developed symptoms, she went to a local clinic. Local clinics are not equipped for serious infectious diseases. She should have gone to the hospital where her husband was receiving treatment. I am fearful for the doctor at that clinic and his staff, as well as any patients who may have visited soon afterward.

Am I alarmed that my kids and I might get it? Not really, at this point. My wife, however, is a doctor in a local clinic not far from where that couple lives... I worry about her.

So, do I think the 'do' should happen? As of today, yes. But stay tuned. You never know what's gonna happen.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 2:34 am

I have posted in that thread. Please check it out.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:41 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
My plans to take the Etihad PEK-NGO fifth freedom service have quickly been sterilized.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
As long as my EVA flights don’t get cancelled (I have a connection via TPE both ways), I’ll be there. I’m more concerned about the flight situation rather than the virus itself, but that’s just me. TPE to NRT has been cancelled a few days now, but flights to NGO and KIX (from which I’m returning from) seem to be ok, for now.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:30 pm

Still count me in, I should be safe with my flights - on JAL, flying between Vietnam and Canada. My bigger hang up is likely to be visa related - for simplicity (and spare passport pages) I may have to be a German in Japan this time!
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
My only concern/wonder is if Japan blows up in cases, whether ex-japan travelers will be subject to quarantine / not allowed to transit some places.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:48 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
I'm going to sit this one out. I don't think you guys would want to hang out with anyone coming from Korea! Enjoy Nagoya!
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:23 am

My only concern/wonder is if Japan blows up in cases, whether ex-japan travelers will be subject to quarantine / not allowed to transit some places.
I would say that is a legitimate concern. Keep watching the CDC's alerts.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by nme7
I'm going to sit this one out. I don't think you guys would want to hang out with anyone coming from Korea! Enjoy Nagoya!
Sorry you can't make it. Take care over there!

We have a sister school in Seoul and make an annual trip there every spring. Had to cancel this year. They have also cancelled their annual trip to visit us in June. The students are quite disappointed.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:34 am

You have probably heard that all schools here have been closed until the start of the next school year at the beginning of April. My high school will still be holding our graduation ceremony this Monday, but only seniors are allowed to attend and everyone must wear masks. NHK has made plans to come video our ceremony.

What you probably haven't heard, however, is that high schools will still be administering entrance exams next Thursday. This means that students from all over the prefecture will be coming to our school (and all the others) to intermingle for a day. The other teachers and I will then have to handle all of their exams for a day and a half. Holy cow. Talk about a recipe for disaster.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:21 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nme7
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / HH Diamond / Hyatt Explorist
I'm planning on a couple of days in Tokyo both before and after.
Anyone else?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.