Off we go... to Nagoya, for Japan Do #8 10-12 April 2020 [postponed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Summary of Events (provisional)

Thursday 9 April, 7pm ~ Meet and Greet Drinks (TBD)
Friday 10 April, 10am ~ Tour of Nagoya
Friday 10 April, 7pm ~ Official Do Dinner (TBD)
Saturday 11 April, 8:30am ~ Day trip to Ise Shrines (Post 43)
Sunday 12 April, 9:00am ~ Day trip / hiking in Kiso Valley (Post 44)
Print Wikipost

Off we go... to Nagoya, for Japan Do #8 10-12 April 2020 [postponed]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2021, 12:36 am

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Exclamation Blame it on the pandemic.

Originally Posted by beckoa
{edit} Well, I'll always advocate for a week later. Know I'll probably be shot down, but that would aid with my availability, and I don't need to pull what I did last time (or worse).
I recall a previous Japan Do thread where somebody else remarked about attending; but could not because it was Easter weekend. My reply (in the thread) was the most diplomatic I believe I have ever scribed. It essentially expressed he would have to dispense with his religious rigours if he wanted to attend a Japan Do.
But with all that has occurred since March 2020, I am unsure if we need to adhere to this structure. I can orbit around the concept of a Spring weekend in Japan. Is the Easter Weekend the best weekend for an assemblage there? Would there be more flight and hotel deals another weekend (either preceding or following)? Frequent flyers like us are no longer the top dogs for flights or hotels. We have to scuffle and dig for the needed accomodations.
If we have to remove the sticky thumbtack from Easter Weekend for Japan Dos, I am OK with that. It appears that beckoa would be on my side for this too.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Is it safe to assume there won’t be a Japan Do in 2022 given the ongoing travel restrictions to Japan?
Old Feb 11, 2022, 3:51 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Arcanum
Is it safe to assume there won’t be a Japan Do in 2022 given the ongoing travel restrictions to Japan?
Unfortunately it’s not possible to plan anything with the current entry ban in place.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Unfortunately it’s not possible to plan anything with the current entry ban in place.
Furthermore, even it it was lifted today coordinating everything so quickly would be difficult. I think the earliest we can plan a Japan Do is either to schedule it for the fall if Japan starts to open or for 2023 at the normal time.
Old Feb 12, 2022, 1:06 am

Programs: JGC / OW Sapphire
I'm still just waiting to attend my first "Do"... Hold it anytime you like!
Old Feb 12, 2022, 5:16 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
We actually booked to go to Japan this Easter to use up some AA miles. Alas we will have to cancel and are looking at going to Malaysia at Easter assuming they are open by then. We like Japan Do at Easter as everything in Japan is open as normal and minimises the amount of leave we have to take.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
So if I read my calendar correctly, Easter 2023 is on April 9th. Any chance of a DO around then? Getting close to the 12 month planning cycle.
kirkwoodj and cocobird like this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 11:23 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Question Should we shift?

I will put this forward. If the government of Japan ever does deign to let 'tourists' back in its country in 2022, could September be a month for which we can compile events?
I would perceive this would be in Tokyo | Yokohama just for everybody to get reacclimated. Our familiarity with the area is higher than were we to try for Nagoya or Hokkaido. September is a month on the cusp of Summer, so weather, accomodations, and flights are lower in cost and | or easier to use frequent flyer status.
Labor Day weekend (in the U.S.A.) perhaps?
whkento likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Oct 10, 2022 at 2:59 pm
Old Mar 27, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
The Japan do has always been scheduled around Easter which, when lucky, can coincide with the cherry blossoms and lots of rainy day trips activities 🤣. Other Do’s take place on US long weekend. I believe the Cow DO takes place around labour day.

Hopefully, we can plan it for next year in Nagoya but once they open up the country again, it will be very hard to find hotels and flights. Japan is a favourite destination for many around the world and lots have plans on hold for when it reopens.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
I believe the Cow DO takes place around labour day.
Correct, also SIN DO around MLK Day holiday weekend, and Oz Fest Memorial Day weekend.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:41 am

I've "protected" Easter 2023 from work again (as I did in 2021, and this year, before giving in to the inevitable), it's much easer to advance plan when you know what needs to be kept free. I vote to continue with Easter.

Maybe an unofficial or Japan Do.5 at an off time?
Old May 9, 2022, 4:52 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Is it too early to start talking about Japan Do 2023? With Japan easing some entry rules, I assume by next year things will hopefully be back to normal, or a new normal. Anyone booked hotel reservations yet?
Old May 9, 2022, 6:44 am
kpc

Originally Posted by nme7
Is it too early to start talking about Japan Do 2023? With Japan easing some entry rules, I assume by next year things will hopefully be back to normal, or a new normal. Anyone booked hotel reservations yet?
I had a look at award flights from Syd to Hnd at Easter next year....not much available
Old May 9, 2022, 5:52 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Looked at currency exchange rates today (May 10, 2022) 1 USD = 130 Japanese Yen. Wow!
Old May 10, 2022, 12:50 am
kpc

Originally Posted by kpc
I had a look at award flights from Syd to Hnd at Easter next year....not much available
Found J flights from Syd arriving Nrt at 755am Good Friday....would prefer to arrive a day earlier though...decisions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.