Dinner party
Sunday
brunch at Stella's 9AM
Old Friend's farm
Print Wikipost

LEX Horse & Bourbon DO XV, October 3-6, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Shelbyville is where my friend’s Icelandic farm is located. Hmmm
Maybe plan ahead for a visit during a future Do, when we can get more of us to fit? After my purchase there were only two tickets left at noon, one at 2:00, and one at 3:00 for this Saturday.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Where are people staying?
As has been usual in the past, I will be at the 1/2 point (4 pts LEX) - I have actually been treated well there over the years. However, availability there is non-existent from Nov 1st onward - maybe this hotel is being removed from Marriott?
Old Sep 29, 2019, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL

As has been usual in the past, I will be at the 1/2 point (4 pts LEX) - I have actually been treated well there over the years. However, availability there is non-existent from Nov 1st onward - maybe this hotel is being removed from Marriott?
Ah, yes, the place rxgeek’s friend thinks is named the “Four Seasons.”

Interesting that nothing is available past Oct 31. That was a great place to redeem back in the old cat 1 SPG days.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Everyone please PM me your name and phone number.

We can communicate through group texts if that is ok.
Governator likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.

I'm in the HR.
Courtyard Keeneland/Arpt
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Staying at the HR Thurs/Fri night. Flying out Saturday 5:45pm.

Thinking of booking one of those two remaining Bulleit spots. I'd be open to checking out horses in Shelbyville that morning then doing Bulleit and maybe one other on my way back towards town and heading to the airport from there.

Planning to arrive early afternoon (let's say 12-2pm range) Thursday. I'm up for doing some distilleries or breweries closer in to town that afternoon then maybe we can meet up for dinner somewhere as others get into town.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Weather forecast:

Thursday 92 52 partly cloudy

Friday 71 47 sunny

Saturday 78 58 partly sunny

Sunday 78 56 pm showers

Monday 73 53 showers
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:59 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
My hotel info is unchanged:

Originally Posted by Zorak
I haven't figured out when I'm getting to DAY yet, but I have a rental and plan to drive down to Lexington Saturday evening. Ditching the NoPoints this year for TownPlace South/Hamburg -- can't be any worse, right?

Definitely in for brunch Sunday, and flying out of LEX Sunday evening.
(I'm flying in to DAY Friday afternoon)

Someone please remind me if anything is planned for Sunday afternoon yet?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
Back on topic, there is a new Bulleit "Frontier Whiskey Experience" tour in Shelbyville. I booked the Saturday noon tour (nothing available in the morning that day); there are still two noon slots available if anyone wants to join me.
I've booked for noon. 1 spot remains.

FYI

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Thinking of booking one of those two remaining Bulleit spots..
HPN-HRL likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I've booked for noon. 1 spot remains.

FYI
I grabbed the last spot.
HPN-HRL and krazykanuck like this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I'd be interested in doing something on Friday before Keeneland, but not too early.

I'm arriving early Thursday evening and will probably want to get breakfast Friday morning at the Hyatt not much earlier than necessary, so I don't see myself doing anything too ambitious or too early on Friday. Bourbon not too far away could be nice, or a visit to a horse farm, again it something is pretty close or not available on the weekend. With the first race starting at 1:05 pm, how early should we get there and how bad will parking be at the track?
Originally Posted by cocobird
Open to ideas for Friday morning before the races or Monday morning/afternoon. I'm not flying out until 6:30pm on Monday.
I know Cocobird isn't the biggest drinker among us but I was going to suggest Glenns Creek Distilling for Friday morning before the races:
https://glennscreekdistillery.com/
It's the type of low-key place where you can show up without reservations and there won't be any crowds. "Tours" are quite informal and the semi-ruins on the property are fascinating to explore. Guests taking the tour may be asked to perform manual labor at the distillery without compensation. (Search FT and there are some photos of some FTers filling and signing barrels at Glenns Creek).

Castle & Key right down the road from Glenns Creek has become a very big deal so tours there will require reservations. Worth it though for the history of the place. And their excellent gin & tonic (no whiskey yet available to taste).

As for parking at the track, it will be very busy on Friday given the forecast beautiful weather but you should be fine if you get there early. There's always free parking available, just could be a very long walk. I think they have some shuttles. I usually drive to Keeneland via country backroads that lead to the back gate and park somewhere around the Water Tower/Track Kitchen or stable area.

If I wanted to make absolutely sure that I arrived at Keeneland in time to get to the admission gate, settle in to my seat, buy a Daily Racing Form, and make a few bets before the first race, I'd try to be parking no later than 12. On the other hand, if you just want to relax, take in the scene(ry), and not worry about seeing the first race or getting some action down on that early Pick 5, well there IS a race every half hour or so...

I haven't made it yet to the place with the old retired horses (Old Friends).
I was going to suggest Old Friends for Sunday afternoon. Or possibly Monday morning?

Hilton downtown for me.
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is there anything special about the first race, perhaps a bit of ceremony, a little parade, music, etc.? I don't care about placing bets, but I don't want to miss the "show" of the first day of the Keeneland season.

Also, how do people dress in the (I assume) grandstand reserved seats?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: US, HH
Originally Posted by Herb687
I know Cocobird isn't the biggest drinker among us but I was going to suggest Glenns Creek Distilling for Friday morning before the races:
It's the type of low-key place where you can show up without reservations and there won't be any crowds. "Tours" are quite informal and the semi-ruins on the property are fascinating to explore. Guests taking the tour may be asked to perform manual labor at the distillery without compensation. (Search FT and there are some photos of some FTers filling and signing barrels at Glenns Creek).

Castle & Key right down the road from Glenns Creek has become a very big deal so tours there will require reservations. Worth it though for the history of the place. And their excellent gin & tonic (no whiskey yet available to taste).

I was going to suggest Old Friends for Sunday afternoon.
I may be interested in Glenns Creek on Sat morning, sounds fun! I can also vouch for Castle & Key - do the longer tour and you’ll see all the grounds including the barrel storage building.

Old Friends was pretty good, I enjoyed that one.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Did we visit a couple of years ago? It looked like a movie set from a war movie - very cool. Wouldn't mind going back. While I'm more horse than bourbon, I've developed a fondness for bourbon tinged items (balls, candies, cake, beer, etc.)

As for parking at the track, it will be very busy on Friday given the forecast beautiful weather but you should be fine if you get there early. There's always free parking available, just could be a very long walk.
Could I carpool with someone? Happy to pay for parking. Probably safer for the public since I hardly practice my driving skills anymore (driven only once this year so far), and I have the worst sense of direction.

I think they have some shuttles. I usually drive to Keeneland via country backroads that lead to the back gate and park somewhere around the Water Tower/Track Kitchen or stable area.
Just be forewarned. A couple of years ago, Jeff and I couldn't get on a shuttle because of the crowds on a Saturday. Hundreds of people were waiting at the shuttle stops.

I was going to suggest Old Friends for Sunday afternoon. Or possibly Monday morning?
Old Friends is quite enjoyable. There are many recognizable horses (Derby and other stakes winners), plus the guides tell you their stories. You get upclose feeding them carrots provided by the guides.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by cocobird
Did we visit a couple of years ago? It looked like a movie set from a war movie - very cool. Wouldn't mind going back. While I'm more horse than bourbon, I've developed a fondness for bourbon tinged items (balls, candies, cake, beer, etc.)

Could I carpool with someone? Happy to pay for parking. Probably safer for the public since I hardly practice my driving skills anymore (driven only once this year so far), and I have the worst sense of direction.

Just be forewarned. A couple of years ago, Jeff and I couldn't get on a shuttle because of the crowds on a Saturday. Hundreds of people were waiting at the shuttle stops.

Old Friends is quite enjoyable. There are many recognizable horses (Derby and other stakes winners), plus the guides tell you their stories. You get upclose feeding them carrots provided by the guides.
So the problem was with the shuttles from the back gate and that food place for jockeys, not shuttles from the main free parking lots? Is it possible to walk from the back gate area if one tires to park around the jockeys' restaurant and the stables?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
So the problem was with the shuttles from the back gate and that food place for jockeys, not shuttles from the main free parking lots? Is it possible to walk from the back gate area if one tires to park around the jockeysi ' restaurant and the stables?
I don't think so, although not familiar with Keeneland's layout. I was with someone who knew his way around. We arrived mid afternoon on a Saturday and the parking was a zoo. We were directed to a spot in a big field and it was quite a hike because the shuttles were full. Friday probably won't be as bad, but you never know. The college kids invade the place to check each other out, and not the horses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.