Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who we all are

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:44 am

Hi Everyone,

My name is my Username.
I live in Yass in southern New South Wales, Australia.
I work for the Australian Department of Immigration & Citizenship.
I am married with 4 kids (ages: 14, 11, 10, 10).
I am a Qantas Platinum (OneWorld Emerald) Frequent Flyer.
My home airport is Canberra (CBR).
I travel too much as part of my job, mainly domestically to Sydney, Melbourne and Perth.
I have been to the USA heaps of times, I have been to Singapore, New Zealand (twice), Bali (twice), Hawaii, Fiji, Vanuatu, Noumea and the Solomon Islands.
I like staying with Accor hotels, Omni Hotels (USA), Hilton hotels and Medina Executive Apartments.
I only fly Qantas and American Airlines (OneWorld supporter).
My favourite aircraft is the A380.
My favourite seats on the Qantas Boeing 747-400 is Upper Deck 16A or 16B, however I will not be disappointed if I am seated in First Class (I will get over it).
My wife gets angry at all the travelling I do, but I butter her up with gifts.

That's all I can think of for now...
John
Old Oct 8, 2010, 3:28 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Hi all,

Been lurking for the past few weeks and learning quite a bit (thanks for the Radisson F&F deal and the US Airways *A redemption scheme !!). I've been very impressed so far by all the invaluable info I've been able to find and quite admirative of the time people spend to share their tips and stories with others.

As for me, I'm in my late 20s, with a taste for travel in general, under different forms: all the way from treks in remote places to luxury hotels. Living in Paris and quite thankful for the 7+ weeks of holidays per year Though one still needs to find the money and/or right deals to use that time well. Also, very much into good food and wine (I am indeed French!).

Nice to join this community !
Old Oct 9, 2010, 7:54 am

Who am I?

I am a 36 year old Brit. My partner and I are about to embark on a year of travel to SE Asia, N Cyprus and who knows where else!

Have never really travelled for business much and have averaged about one long haul a year for leisure. That's all about to change. So I need to learn how to play the game!

Any tips for a flyer talk noob gratefully received

Very glad to join you all
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Blue, Hilton Gold, Virgin Red
Hello!

My name is Sealink. After 137 posts I decided I should introduce myself!
I think I've had a bit of an eventful life so far.
Brought up as a devout Jehovah's Witness, then realised I was gay.
Um, that doesn't fit in so great so I literally ran away to London at the age of 30, to live with a rabid athiest. That turned out to be a bit of a mind-f*ck so then set out on my own, with new flatmates. And haven't looked back.

I am in the happy position of being an ex-JW who doesn't hate them, but definitely have found a more humanist approach to belief, and my philosophy as a bleeding-heart-liberal is to live and let live, and love.

I have never ever lost the excitement of travel. Recently, I flew to Italy and could not get the wide-eyed grin off my face as my train approached Gatwick Airport. Possibly because I was flying Club Europe for the first time, but also, because, well, flying is just absolutely life-affirmingly AMAZING!!!

I was with a great guy for five years but that ended, but not before I went to New York and Boston (with Virgin Atlantic ), Bilbao, Belfast, Dublin, Cornwall, Boston again, and Prague. Getting him over his fear of flying is one of the things I am most proud of.

Last year we broke up. I still love him, but that's not for here. What I did do is to fill my days with new things. Skinny dipping for starters. I went to my first ever music festival (80s Rewind), I spoke to people in pubs (living in London I somehow lost my gift of the gab) and just decided to love life and smile. I also love trains and boats, so with my new found freedom travelled to Dublin - 7 hours on the train and 3 hours on a boat. Loved IT!

When I fly, I don't have any snobbery. I have had 14+ Ryanair flights, plus EasyJet and FlyBE. Also tried Club Europe and Upper Class, but means that I can't do that all the time.

Living in London I am unbelievably lucky to have umpteen airlines and routes to choose from - my next flight is from London City to Copenhagen (where I was offered a cheap Club Europe upgrade - 49) and then Virgin Atlantic to South Africa... but for some reason, the one that I am most looking forward to is Germanwings - an airline I haven't flown with before.

Talking of which, I really want to try Aer Arann and FlyBaboo. Watch this space!

Still reading? Bless!

Last edited by Sealink; Oct 13, 2010 at 4:03 pm
Old Oct 14, 2010, 4:41 am

New family member

Hi this is Jonah and new family member of flyertalk. whats up. I love travelling, Music the most , American Football
and off course sharing my thoughts with others i love napping when its off :P
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Pres Club, Starwood Gold, NEXUS
Loopies

Hi I'm Loopies, been on FlyerTalk for a few years now mainly lurking for good deals and always checking it before any planned trips.
I live in Vancouver, British Columbia Canada (YVR) - the truly most beautiful place on earth. Those of you who have been here will know exactly what I'm talking about.

I grew up travelling the world as my dad loved to travel and try new things. So I was born in England to Irish parents, later we moved back to Ireland then on to Australia, and finally Canada where I have lived on both coasts. In between I have been all around the world (Japan, US, France, Switzerland, Caribbean etc.)
I am married with no kids which leaves lots of time and flexibility for travel - especially the impromptu kind.

I travelled a lot in a previous job and acquired all of my elite status' but now I don't think I'll be able to hold on to them. Especially since I just went through brain surgery on Oct 8/2010 as a brain tumor was discovered just 2 weeks prior. Talk about a change to your life in an instant. I have a long recovery ahead of me but hope things will go well. It will give me even more time to surf FlyerTalk!

Stay well you FlyerTalkers and seize the day (my new personal motto) you just never know when you'll be pulling into that gate for the last time. Cheers!
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:28 am

this thread went on and on from 1998...

as for this post, it's #2002...:-::-::-:

Originally Posted by jonahmerchant12
Hi this is Jonah and new family member of flyertalk. whats up. I love travelling, Music the most , American Football
and off course sharing my thoughts with others i love napping when its off :P
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:18 am

Programs: Delta, United, Emirates
Hi i am new to the site
43 years old, married one child
Based in St. Louis, grew up in Northern Virginia, USA
have been travelling extensively for about fours years
last three years international, my territory takes me to GCC countries, Russia, Turkey, Egypt, Eastern Europe, France, Scandic Countries, and few more.

Diamond with Delta, and with some good luck 1K with United by end of this year.
Not that impressed with Delta's Diamond (free sky club membership is nice)
find the upgrade rules (class of service with Delta) quite annoying M class or higher.
Comibne delta with UA FF would be near satisfying.
currently in France.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Hi all! I've been lurking here for at least two years. Finally jumped in this year as a participant, mainly just to stop being a lurker! It's just that taking the time to actually read the site provides pretty much everything I'm ever wondering about, so there never has been much reason to actually post!

Good job, FTers!

So, we're on the final leg toward an empty nest (love all of our kids to death, but still... woohoo!!! YAY!!!)... Mr Abroad lives full-time in SE Asia, while i split time between there and our other two homes in the USA.

Love to travel, especially in Asia, and adore expat life. Seems like whenever we strike a destination off our list, two more get added!

Thanks for an amazingly useful website, FT!

~aBroadAbroad

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Apr 1, 2014 at 4:58 pm Reason: Sp.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:29 am

Programs: IHG; DL, JB, SW, UA, US, Ch, Crl, HzG, EmC, AmtGR regular; TSA Disp Tinfoil
We joined from PCR Anywhere Challenge

Many people have joined this forum specifically due to the Priority Club Anywhere Challenge; some people discovered this forum while searching for answers to the contest. So let's have a thread just for us, and those who would welcome us.

I'll go first.

Hi. If I flap my arms hard enough, I hope to fly up front in F some day. I have been learning a lot of good travel advice, especially from the TS&S forum. I travel mainly for pleasure, once in a long while for work. I prefer SWA but have minimal brand loyalty to airlines.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
While I like the idea, we do already have a thread for welcoming new members to the forum, and I'm going to merge this thread in with that one.

Jenbel
Co-moderator, Communitybuzz!
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:59 pm

Programs: american express, aadvantage, marriott rewards, starwoods, delta, nwa
Hello FTers from greenbombadil

I've been a member/reader of FT a year or so and love reading these threads. My friends think I'm such a savvy traveler but I have got nothing on all of you. I live in Illinois near our largest Big 10 University and am involved in many book clubs and gardening and finishing my grad degree in History (finally!) and of course, traveling. I'm a huge frequent stay/frequent flyer point traveler. I love Western Europe the most, I think, though natural wonders in the US thrill me too. I know Walt Disney World like the back of my hand though a trip to London or Paris or anywhere in Germany, Austria or Italy is more my style. I'm taking my family (teenagers - yikes!) on an adventure trip to Northern Spain this summer and to see our great friends in Milan. I get lost on my travels a lot but have seen the most amazing things and had the most amazing meals while I've been lost. I love anglo history and ancient battle sites and love talking to all the many people who know more than I do about these things.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:10 am

Programs: AA PPro, QF Gold, DL Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Smile Long Time Lurker

Hi everyone. I am a long time lurker (I think I registered in 2006) and lurked for years before I even registered. Just wanted to say hi and that I love this site!

I am doing my first SR in a few weeks, the MKE-PIT run. Thank you so much for the great info I have found. If I didn't see that run, then I would not be doing the runs to retain my 2P. I know, not as glamorous as 1P or 1K, but gotta start somewhere.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
crankychick...

Are you my wife?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
crankychick...
Are you my wife?
Nah! I'm betting she's my ex!!

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.