Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Oct. 16-22 -- get together?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2002, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
London Oct. 16-22 -- get together?

I'm in Florence, Italy now and scheduled to arrive in London tomorrow evening (Wednesday, October 16).

Will be at Paddington Hilton for six nights, flying home to SFO the morning of October 22.

Post here or e-mail me if possible to get together sometime during my stay, and I'll try to check the Internet more often than I have during the last four weeks!

Kathy

Old Oct 15, 2002, 5:43 pm

Kathy, you've got mail!
Old Oct 16, 2002, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Thanks!

Also, is Vinopolis: City of Wine (wine museum with combined audiotour and tasting) worth visiting?

(Just for reference, I've seen most of the major sights/sites in London at one time or another, plan to revisit some of them, but would appreciate ideas for new and different things. The London Eye Ferris Wheel is another thing I haven't done yet that looks interesting.)

Kathy

P.S.: I should mention that I arrived safely in London this evening after a long day of travel and received an excellent room with HHonors Diamond perks at the Paddington Hilton (six-night award stay).

[This message has been edited by KathyWdrf (edited 10-16-2002).]
Old Oct 16, 2002, 11:56 pm

I can't personally answer for Vinopolis (it's on my list of "things to do") but I have friends who recommend it.

The London Eye is definitely worth doing - my own preference is to take it after dark as London looks lovely at night illuminated in many different colours.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 3:11 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KathyWdrf:
Also, is Vinopolis: City of Wine (wine museum with combined audiotour and tasting) worth visiting?</font>
I like Vinopolis. Excellent tour, great gift shop, and attached to Majestic Wine, where you can purchase any number of Vinopolis-recommended tasting wines at reasonable prices. Also the only Majestic branch where you can purchase by the bottle, rather than case.

You may also wish to eat at the restaurant - Cantina. Excellent food, Vinopolis-recommended wines and tasting notes, reasonable prices. Downsides are low ambience, loud/boomy atmosphere (no soft furnishings), and somewhat indifferent service. Reservations essential on the weekends. Here's the Zagat review:

South Bank
1 Bank End (London Bridge) London, SE1 020-7940 8333

Food: 17
Decor: 17
Service: 14

The "bible-size" vino list wins plaudits at this "wine lover's dream", a "charming", "cavernous" brick-walled Mediterranean restaurant housed in the Vinopolis Museum under the South Bank's railway arches; for a "complete experience, do the tasting first, then carry on" with a selection from the "imaginative menu"; critics counter that "the accolades end" after the bottle's been uncorked, lashing out at the "uninspiring food."

Old Oct 17, 2002, 9:05 am

I'm in town until 2230 tonight (Thursday).

You've got mail.
Old Oct 23, 2002, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I managed to meet with Sarah (twice!) and Richard (FT handle RichardInSF) and really enjoyed the great restaurants I was introduced to. (Of course, I had to fly 5,000+ miles to meet Richard, a fellow Bay Arean, for the first time.)

Here is a link to a photo of the aftermath of our meal at Sarkhel's, a truly awesome (no cliche) Indian restaurant in Southfields:

http://photomail.photoworks.com/sharing/album.asp?Key= 1~FQQ4aBru.cLceE/rHf1ZIz0Sho7sBxX5yosQhSgNdUOEWYu9fHOa5zR6geeq7hzz

Kathy

P.S.: Thanks, Matthew, for the info on Vinopolis. I ended up going there and enjoyed it -- especially given the unexpected bonus of a (full-sized, not just a tasting) Bombay Sapphire gin cocktail!

[This message has been edited by KathyWdrf (edited 10-29-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.