Reload this Page >

Fave FTer quotes

Fave FTer quotes

Old Jul 17, 01, 5:16 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Fave FTer quotes

Being as tho I'm tres thankful that Flyertalk survived this past year, I was just musing today about its passing from the Terrible Twos to the Thankful {???} Threes.

So what are some of your favorite memories, threads, phrases or quotes from other Flyertalkers? Here's mine:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I plan to be consistently lucky.</font>
-- Punki

The Maricich Matriarch soooo closely paraphrases my own life's motto, which is:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I plan for my spontaneity.</font>
Thanks Punki.

[This message has been edited by essxjay (edited 07-18-2001).]
Old Jul 17, 01, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
essxjay,
Great idea.

I was romotely involved with some planning for the CatmanDo last March. It was a 'rush' planning the Brooklyn Tour, and showing off to 6 other flyertalkers the place where I grew up. It was a nice way to bond with people I have something in common with.
Also, meeting everyone at dinner was fun. So many people, so many faces, so many screen names! None of us wanted to leave at the end.

Thanks for the memory.

Regards,
dan
Old Jul 17, 01, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Here's another:

I signed up for dgolds SANTA list last fall. That was where you agreed to give a gift to a flyertalker(assigned by Santa). The gift would be travel related and under $25. We were told to look in the WHO WE ALL ARE thread for assistance and ideas about our receipient. This was a give a gift/get a gift deal.
I was around for 3 months at the time. Low post count then. SO you can imagine my surprise when I opened a letter addressed to me (with no return address) that included 1 HK49. That's a confirmable upgrade on United! I was thrilled. I never knew such a thing existed (was a lowly Premier and inexperienced flyertalker). Teehee.
I ran to my wife and said, "Wow, this flyertalk is great."
And for the record, I sent some toys to...
Regards,
Dan
Old Jul 17, 01, 6:57 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
still waiting for Santa to drop off my '00 x'mas gift.... but,

1. meeting Emailman (by FT luggage tag) and Rudi, the first encounter of FT'ers in my young life at Zurich Airport last November

2. Dusseldorf meet at Bernie's
(Emailman and Rudi talked me into going)

3. joining Mr. and Mrs. Magic111 in AMS in Feb.

4. the funny funny posts sometime ago about men travelling by themselves (??? please could someone dig it up, would love to read them again!)

Old Jul 17, 01, 7:45 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

There is absolutely nothing like the feeling to have been at the PIP, Party in Paradise. The people, the innocence and the times we had. Most of us at that point had never met one another and for all we really knew - this could have been a scam. But from the tennis game to the wild chocolate fest and the dinner.......what a way to become a community.

and the special time there for me was when i was presented with the official FlyerTalk URL with a plaque to mark that occasion. At that point, I was feeling "These people really like me." Quite special.
Old Jul 17, 01, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wish I could remember the FTer or the thread in which it originated, but the phrase, "PremEx Envy" was quite clever!
Old Jul 17, 01, 8:31 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You? Or Flyertalk? Probably both, Randy!

Thanks very much for the time and resources to make the site work for all of us!

I'm not sure that I have any real memories - it's just one continuous huge "blur!" A kinda' happy "haze!"
Old Jul 17, 01, 8:43 pm

I believe "PremEx Envy" was coined by Camera Guy.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Jul 17, 01, 8:50 pm
In Memoriam

Someone here's got the signature, "Friends don't let friends fly coach." I love it!!
Old Jul 17, 01, 8:56 pm
GG

Programs: Mr Hertz & I have an Understanding. ;-> HH Diamond. DL PM (woo... at least it's clearly earned!)
Randy, you keep that feeling in mind when you get our "feedback", right?

Something I have really enjoyed is well written trip reports, the gems amongst the, er, less inspired ones.

johna and opus17 are two trip reppers who come first to mind. Others might want to read all of QuietLion's or PremEx's. There are other good ones as well. If there were interest, an index could be done (note I'm not volunteering, at least until after Labor Day!).

Oh, and LexPax and I appreciated a "welcome to FT" e-mail from a NY guy named hammer... we'll get up there Real Soon Now, Dan!
Old Jul 18, 01, 6:43 am
geo1004

My personal favorite was penned by the esteemed Trip Report writer Quiet Lion. In the Tale (while QL was put on hold on the phone line waiting for a UA agent) the recording played,

"Please hold, while we continue to suck."

Old Jul 18, 01, 7:27 am
Commander Catcop

Oh there's an equally delicious line from the esteemed Mr. Lion:

"As a rule I donít eat dessert"

And while not a quote, one from Meow-self:

"Four Paws Up."

Have a MEOWY DAY!

Old Jul 18, 01, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
The only thing that made the original PiP even better than the event itself was catching a ride on the PiP Express LAX-HNL and having the entire upper deck of a 747 full of FTers! Having your own airborne disco/party lounge among new friends is a truly unforgettable experience!

------------------
Regards,
- Anna
Old Jul 18, 01, 7:44 am
geo1004

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AnnaS:
The only thing that made the original PiP even better than the event itself was catching a ride on the PiP Express LAX-HNL and having the entire upper deck of a 747 full of FTers!</font>
AnnaS, why must you continue to remind me? I was a fool to not attend.

Old Jul 18, 01, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
My favorite is from Rudi:

"The only statistics I trust are those I made up myself."

Search this Thread