Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

PIT DO 2018: Post AS SEA-PIT Inaugural celebration Sept 6-9, 2018 [Alaska DO Series]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mr_Tudball
Schedule Link

Thurs airside
(those arriving AS198 from SEA and those departing AS199 to SEA, plus any PIT local strap-hangers / party crashers )
jrl767
davetravels

Thursday dinner (Girasole) 6PMish (walk in, call ahead to let them know)
  1. beckoa
  2. beckoa+1
  3. jackal
  4. Bob W-confirmed
  5. davetravels - - Probable
  6. Rxgeek
  7. Rxgeek+1
  8. pgh234 - Probable

Please confirm attendance to Pamela's Diner brunch Friday late morningish:
  1. beckoa
  2. beckoa+1
  3. jackal
  4. Bob W
  5. DaveTravels - Hopefully not too early
  6. Rxgeek
  7. Rxgeek+1
  8. Mr_Tudball

Please confirm attendance to Meat and Potatoes dinner Friday 5 PM:
  1. beckoa
  2. beckoa+1
  3. jackal
  4. Bob W-confirmed
  5. rxgeek
  6. rxgeek+1
  7. krazykanuck-depending how fast I hustle from PIT
  8. davetravels
  9. Mr_Tudball
  10. AASweets
  11. DaveTravels
  12. AKronin

Pirates game at 7:05 PM 9-7-18 [ Infield Grandstand Group seating, please bring $20]
  1. beckoa
  2. beckoa+1
  3. jackal
  4. Bob W-confirmed
  5. Mr_Tudball
  6. krazykanuck
  7. rxgeek
  8. rxgeek+1
  9. AKronin
  10. DaveTravels will take a ticket, if it's not too late
  11. AASweets

Saturday/Sunday activities:
  1. beckoa
  2. beckoa+1
  3. jackal
  4. GrjApp
  5. Bob W4
  6. Mr_Tudball
  7. krazykanuck
  8. kipper
  9. DaveTravels - maybe <depends on work>

Saturday dinner SmokeNo set time yet (walk in, call ahead to let them know)
  1. beckoa
  2. beckoa+1
  3. jackal
  4. GrjApp
  5. krazykanuck

Hotels/lodging:

beckoa: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh Green Tree Thurs-Sun
beckoa+1: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh Green Tree Thurs-Sun
Bob W: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Pittsburgh Green Tree Thurs-Sun
GrjApp: ditto above, Sat night
Rxgeek: Hampton Monroeville (near sister in law)
krazykanuck: DoubleTree Fri-Sun; Hyatt Place Pit Airport Sun-Mon
jackal: His old house
Print Wikipost

PIT DO 2018: Post AS SEA-PIT Inaugural celebration Sept 6-9, 2018 [Alaska DO Series]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by GrjApp
I am interested in seeing Fallingwaters. They do have a number of tours, which they advise you book in advance. For Sunday the 9th, the guided house tours have a variety of time slots open (some are sold out) and the Landscape Hike which starts at 9.30, for 1.5hrs also has spots open. They do have grounds passes and advise to call day-of for availability.

https://www.fallingwater.org/visit/t...ngwater-tours/

It is however a 90-minute drive from downtown to Fallingwaters, so keep that in mind for flights and time spent there.

jackal - is it worth the drive, given one will have to leave by ~2.00pm to deal with getting to the airport etc? My flight isn’t until 6.19pm so I have more time than those on the AS flight.

Alternatively, Saturday may be an option too and do some of the other things on Sunday?

If you're a Frank Lloyd Wright fan, it's definitely worthwhile. And even if you're not a fan, but you find the house cool, it is neat.

I wouldn't make the long drive just to wander the grounds; they're nice and there's a few spots you can get photos of the house, but that's a long drive for little reward. Might as well go all out and see the house if you're there. I think my membership doesn't lapse until October so I might be able to get 10% off a house tour for anyone who wants to go out there.

I've been twice (did the house tour once, and then I did a short hike on the grounds while a family member did a tour). Said family member was on a ~4pm flight, so we did a ~11am tour and got to the airport around 2:30pm and it worked fine.

I know @BOB W is interested in a tour, but we hadn't settled on anything specific yet. I probably wouldn't join a house tour (having already done it) but I might be up for driving out and either wander the grounds or go check out another hike in nearby Ohiopyle while folks do the tour. (I do want to do another house tour around Christmas to see what the place looks like in a different season, and IIRC, they do decorate it up. I'd also be interested in the longer behind-the-scenes tour, but that sells out really fast and probably wouldn't work with everyone's schedules.)

Last edited by jackal; Sep 4, 2018 at 10:16 pm
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by jackal
If you're a Frank Lloyd Wright fan, it's definitely worthwhile. And even if you're not a fan, but you find the house cool, it is neat.

I wouldn't make the long drive just to wander the grounds; they're nice and there's a few spots you can get photos of the house, but that's a long drive for little reward. Might as well go all out and see the house if you're there. I think my membership doesn't lapse until October so I might be able to get 10% off a house tour for anyone who wants to go out there.

I've been twice (did the house tour once, and then I did a short hike on the grounds while a family member did a tour). Said family member was on a ~4pm flight, so we did a ~11am tour and got to the airport around 2:30pm and it worked fine.

I know @BOB W is interested in a tour, but we hadn't settled on anything specific yet. I probably wouldn't join a house tour (having already done it) but I might be up for driving out and either wander the grounds or go check out another hike in nearby Ohiopyle while folks do the tour. (I do want to do another house tour around Christmas to see what the place looks like in a different season, and IIRC, they do decorate it up. I'd also be interested in the longer behind-the-scenes tour, but that sells out really fast and probably wouldn't work with everyone's schedules.)
I am very interested in going there on Sunday. There are plenty of tickets for the 10AM tour. Our flight is not until 5PM so that would give us plenty of time for the journey through the countryside.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Sep 5, 2018 at 12:08 am Reason: Remove edited text from quote
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:46 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

. . . . check out another hike in nearby Ohiopyle . . . .
Ya, Ohiopyle State Park is showing only 4 minutes from Fallingwater, if anyone's interested in extending their trip by a day.

There'z also a beautiful Rails-to-Trails bike trail that goes all the way to Cumberland, MD, I believe. I'd bet you can rent a bike out there, near the raft rental places.

That whole area is VERY pretty!

jackal likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
those pix do not look at all like a hike, Dave ... just sayin' ...
jackal likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by jrl767
LOL, people hike at Ohiopyle?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:40 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jrl767
Originally Posted by kipper
When I think of Ohiopyle, I think white water rafting - - even tho I'm WAY too chicken to try it!

I did bike a tiny bit down the bike trail once with a friend, but, the whole area is lush greenery outdoorsy stuff to do, surely including hiking!

I really miss Pechins <pronounced Peach-ins> in Dunbar <that burned down a number of years ago> for anyone who remembers it. It was a true country icon!
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:31 pm

Daily forecast:

Hi/Lo
Thursday, 9/6 85/67 PM Thunderstorms
Friday, 9/7 79/61 Showers through the day
Saturday 9/8 70/59 Cloudy
Sunday 9/9 68/61 Showers through the day

Looks like it could be an interesting ride into PIT Thursday afternoon. Glad to see the weather is cooling down for our visit. Pack accordingly for the game.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:37 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by davetravels
When I think of Ohiopyle, I think white water rafting - - even tho I'm WAY too chicken to try it!
Ooh! This is shaping up to be quite an event! Sorry to be missing it If whitewater rafting becomes part of the itinerary, I'll be really bummed! FWIW, in my limited experience, most white water rafting is suitable and enjoyable for a broad audience - avoid the technical stuff

Last edited by ANC RED-EYE; Sep 4, 2018 at 10:21 pm
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by kipper
I think there were a couple of trails last time I looked, nothing amazing, but I’m pretty sure I’m not going to do a rafting trip in the hour that the rest of the group is in the house…

Last edited by jackal; Sep 4, 2018 at 10:15 pm
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:52 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by BOB W
Thursday, 9/6 85/67 PM Thunderstorms
Looks like it could be an interesting ride into PIT Thursday afternoon. Glad to see the weather is cooling down for our visit. Pack accordingly for the game.
Hoping those same thunderstorms don't make my ride out of JFK Thursday problematic. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by ANC RED-EYE; Sep 4, 2018 at 10:23 pm
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

I think there were a couple of trails last time I looked, nothing amazing, but I’m pretty sure I’m not going to do a rafting trip in the hour that the rest of the group is in the house…
I'd probably go rafting over the house tour

Anybody have pricing/schedules?

Looked it up... express tours are 3 hours long it seems... might be a bit tight on time.

This is interesting however:

Top 10 Activities to do at Ohiopyle

1. View Ohiopyle Falls and stroll through the borough of Ohiopyle.
  2. Explore rare plants and fossils on Ferncliff Peninsula.
  3. See the deepest gorge in Pennsylvania from Baughman Rocks.
  4. Brave the river with a trip on the Middle or Lower ‘Yough.’
  5. Have a picnic with a view at Tharp Knob.
  6. Spend the night under the stars at Kentuck Campground.
  7. Start your backpacking trip on Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail.
  8. Bike the Great Allegheny Passage to a nearby trail town.
  9. Ride the sledding hill when the snow falls.
  10. View the falling waters at Cucumber Run.
Waterslides

Sit in the creek bed and ride the water through two natural waterslides in Meadow Run. Caution must be used at all times as natural hazards exist.Parking is available adjacent to the SR 381 bridge crossing Meadow Run. Follow the signs to Meadow Run Trail or follow the path at the back of the parking lot.This activity or structure is ADA accessible. An ADA accessible observation deck is easily reached from the parking area.
There is a hike at 10 AM Sunday as well.

Last edited by beckoa; Sep 5, 2018 at 12:17 am
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BOB W
Daily forecast:

Friday, 9/7 79/61 Showers through the day
Saturday 9/8 70/59 Cloudy
Sunday 9/9 68/61 Showers through the day
That looks glorious vs. Houston. Looking forward to the weekend, only 2 weekdays to get through
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
That looks glorious vs. Houston. Looking forward to the weekend, only 2 weekdays to get through
With the holiday Monday, I keep thinking I have two more as well. Alas, just one more day

Prost :-:
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by davetravels

I did bike a tiny bit down the bike trail once with a friend, but, the whole area is lush greenery outdoorsy stuff to do, surely including hiking!

I really miss Pechins <pronounced Peach-ins> in Dunbar <that burned down a number of years ago> for anyone who remembers it. It was a true country icon!
I do as well. I don't think hiking.
davetravels likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Looked it up... express tours are 3 hours long it seems... might be a bit tight on time.
3 hours is more than I want to spend wandering around a house, even a FLR property. Add 3 hours drive time and that would kill the entire day. Perhaps another time....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.