an open letter to Catman

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

an open letter to Catman

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2000, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
It's troubling after almost a week away from FT that some of the flame wars had continued. I guess I had hoped, pollyannishly, that all would be sweetness and light again and nasty words would never be seen in these parts again.

The troubling part is that they threaten to permanently push away people like Catman, whom I've never had the opportunity to meet in person, but without whose presence here, the board would be but a shallow, hollow and decidedly less friendly place.

Per Burkey's point, I've only been here for a little less than a year, so I missed the bad period that caused CATCOP to emerge from his cage, but I think the past few weeks are emblematic of exactly why CATCOP is needed here, to provide a good humored, even tempered hand on the shoulder of the collective board.

Greg
Old Jul 29, 2000, 9:00 am
RKG

Rudi: Well said.
Catman, there are more people out here that support you than you can imagine.
-RKG
Old Jul 29, 2000, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is hard to do, but sometimes you've just got to ignore people's posts and flames.

It feels bad but in a public or semi-public forum there will always be some bad apples and the best thing to do is ignore them and stay above the fray. Easier said than done, I know, but necessary nonetheless.
Old Jul 29, 2000, 10:30 am
Original Member

Location: OMNI Award Winner, Recipient: Ol' Goal Personal Sootkase Tag Award. The Very Special Punki Authentic PiP Sootkase Tag, Pin, & T-Shirt. .........PRE-
thank you, rudi, fore yur komints. et es wel said.

arturo hav won peace of guud advise for hes amigo, el gato hombre,

"Always remember that when you are a leader and an innovator, unscrupled people will "shoot" at you. These people only "shoot" when they are jealous and just cannot make it to the top."

------------------
Loving, Caring, Honest, Intelligent, Empathetic, Creative, and Giving.
Old Jul 29, 2000, 10:41 am
Original Member

Catbuddy, let me roar a ditto to Rudi's warm post. Your posts are appreciated much more than those of the few who constantly chirp and whine about Catcop. Illegitimum non carborundum, de gustabus non disputandum est.
Old Jul 29, 2000, 10:47 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Rudi Thanks for posting this...I too very much enjoy chatting with Catman and reading his posts. BUT, I am also a little disappointed in the Cat....giving in to the people 'attacking' him. I want the Cat to raise his back and hiss...what 'Cop' gives in??!

As posted July 17 by me in the Catman Hiatus thread:

"Catman,

I agree with others above that your posts are useful and informing. I could see new users getting thrown off by the Commander Catcop thing...as even I did.

I will notice your absence ...BUT I am disappointed you are giving in to the few people who try and wreck things for others.

Sincerely,

Dorian"

Dorian

------------------
Star Alliance RTW Price Chart: http://www.informationlab.com/rtw.htm
Star Alliance Comparison Chart: http://members.home.net/deercroft/starall.html
Old Jul 29, 2000, 11:47 am

Location: DEN, UA PE, Hilton Gold, ** Reactivate Delete Feature**

Frankly, I'd be happier if this FQTV inanity went.

Keep up the good work Commander!

RudiThank you for giving us a central location to offer support to one of FT's Farvourite Sons.

[This message has been edited by QuantumLeap (edited 07-29-2000).]
Old Jul 29, 2000, 12:06 pm

Mark, I too recognise and appreciate the wonderful human being (in fur?) that you are.
Never allow the jealous wannabes to neuter or de-claw you. Consider the source and just treat these posters with the disdainful attitude felines are known for - ignore them.

Three cheers to you Catman!
Old Jul 29, 2000, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, HH, SPG
Catman

Please don't let a toxic tiny minority of FT posts / posters get ya down.

Four paws up for the Catman -
Old Jul 29, 2000, 1:39 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Catman,

Ignore the few nasty ones and focus on the great ones (like me!).

Hey, you live in NJ, I'm sure you know some friends in the business who could send a little warning to the nasty FlyerTalkers!

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: The Airline Mileage Workshop
Old Jul 29, 2000, 2:09 pm

Programs: NW Platinum, Hilton Silver, 3 stays from Starwood Platinum!
Mark, take a deep breath and remember not to fear. The cat you are, with morals and consideration, well... Ignore it! Troublemakers want a reaction, and when they get one (especially a frenzied one), they revel in their power to incite and control. Ha! Don't give them that power! Rudi is sooooooooooooooo right, and I like Quantumleap's idea, too.

Your friend, Linda
Old Jul 29, 2000, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Catman, I haven't met you yet, but I can tell from your posts and the posts of other FlyerTalkers (well, most of them) that you're a fine human being. I appreciate you most when you're yourself, so please don't let the insults/complaints of others change you.
As for Commander Catcop, I always thought his posts were done in a witty, funny and well-meaning way. I hope he sticks around as well.
If Yaz and Eddie could type, I'm sure they'd have some feline wisdom to post about all this.
Old Jul 29, 2000, 3:24 pm
Original Member

If I had four paws, they'd be up right now.

Old Jul 29, 2000, 3:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
Let me add my very own DITTO to Rudi's comments.

IMHO:

Catman, Rudi and Premex are the heart and soul of the FT Community. These three members go out of their way to make one and all feel welcome within this community.

I have a suggestion to any member out there who does not believe that Commander Catcop has a place here.

Take some time away from this board and try to find a more civil Bulletin Board and/or one that has the vast amounts of knowledge found here.

My guess is that you will not find one. That is due, in no small part, to the efforts of Catman and Commander Catcop.

Mark, if/when you are the subject of a flame, please turn the other whisker. Im sure that the vast majority of us here would agree that you and Commander Catcop will always be welcome!
Old Jul 29, 2000, 4:27 pm
Original Member

Rudi,

Thank you for your open letter to the one and only Catman. If not for the "kind" Cat, this board would be just another board with no discipline or professionalism. And, if I could put four "boots" up for the Cat, I would.

[This message has been edited by JAWS_II (edited 07-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by JAWS_II (edited 07-29-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.