Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

How should FlyerTalk improve its mobile experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
IB is asking for input but evidently doesn't want input since it won't make its survey available to all FTers, despite repeated requests to do so or at minimum do a site-wide announcement. However, 'hopefully' it will pay attention to comments on this thread. But no guarantee since it says to do the survey which it doesn't make available to everyone. However, please post - just in case.
Print Wikipost

How should FlyerTalk improve its mobile experience?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Why a mobile app instead of a mobile version of the website?

For me it is simple - navigation. I used to use the mobile app quite a bit and could easily use the phone's menu button, "go back" button, and generally click-around to forum-hop and read different threads. It was much, much easier than the current mobile website. Unlike then, now, I really only visit 2 forums on my phone because of what is bookmarked/cached (and, thus, easy to navigate to).

The mobile app had a lot less space at the top before threads started in a forum...I could click on a thread without scrolling down. Not so with the mobile version of the website.

Is the mobile website terrible? IMHO, no, but, I sure use it a lot less than I used to use the mobile app.

So, the simple question is: Does IB want me to visit FT on a mobile device more than I currently do? If so, an app (or, dramatic improvement to the website) would accomplish that. [Note, I don't think my FT usage from a computer has changed post-app...really just my mobile use has declined, so, an app wouldn't simply eat at my full-website version usage]
Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:56 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Not yet. Soon though!
Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
And once again today I get switched against my will back to the mobile site when I have clicked over HUNDREDS of times to the full site.

Why in God's name can this not be a permanent attribute of my account?

I NEVER want to use your mobile site.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:54 pm
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
The app was much more responsive than the mobile site on my phone. I pretty much stopped reading FT on my phone (laptop only now) since the app stopped working.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
And once again today I get switched against my will back to the mobile site when I have clicked over HUNDREDS of times to the full site.

Why in God's name can this not be a permanent attribute of my account?

I NEVER want to use your mobile site.
This continues to be an issue. I am not a fan of the mobile site and hate having to switch back every time I open FT on my iPhone or iPad.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: United Global Services,Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by HGHUA
You really need a dedicated app. Hire one off Fivvr if you need to.

At the very least tapatalk integration.
I use Tapatalk for a number of other forums on my iPad and it's far more then adequate. I would love it if Flyertalk was enabled for it. I think it's fairly easy to do as well
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An option to turn off the mobile site altogether.

The full site is perfectly usable on my phone whereas the mobile site seems to be very limited, especially in the My FlyerTalk page.

Quite often however I find myself annoyingly dumped back into the mobile site.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 4:22 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Thumbs down

I was targeted for the survey around two months ago. Basically, I find it ridiculous that a large organization such as Internet Brands can not make a simple application for reading a forum. My answers reflected that plus some commentary on how scrolling sucks on the mobile site.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Its rare to have an organization (IB) have highly engaged customers (users) who are taking time to give it advice on how to use their product even more, yet IB drags their feet and more and more travel talk moves away to Facebook and other platforms. Sad.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by princeville
I access FT almost exclusively on my phone and wish we could read wikis, or at least see that they exist. Then I at least would know to switch to the desktop version and read it before asking a question that has been addressed in the wiki.

I'd also like the multi-quote feature, but that's a much lower priority.
+1
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:48 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Multiquote is enabled on the mobile skin; wikiposts are on the way shortly.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:11 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by IBobi
Multiquote is enabled on the mobile skin; wikiposts are on the way shortly.
Wikiposts on mobile appeared for me in the last day or three -- ^ but there is sort of a conflict with the behavior where scrolling "past" the top of the page causes the previous page to get loaded, so now you have to scroll to the top of *that* page to see the wiki. If there's a good way to reconcile those two, that'd be great.

But thanks for the new feature regardless!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by flyboy_421
I use Tapatalk for a number of other forums on my iPad and it's far more then adequate. I would love it if Flyertalk was enabled for it. I think it's fairly easy to do as well
I am also for a tapatalk integration. The basic features are fairly easy to implement and its very convenient on the phone to use. Tapatalk, because i use it for a bunch of other forums as well and it gives you one single app for all of them.
If you opt in for one of the paid subscription you even get a dedicated app for this forum. so users can get this app for free or buy tapatalk to use more forums in one app. thats then up to the user.

So far I have only good experience with tapatalk...and was shocked that this forum is only as "read only" blog on tapatalk...
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:22 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Build an app, allow us to save threads for offline viewing and responding, push notifications for threads as an option, allow us to see other FlyerTalkers who are physically nearby, integrate with Tripit and enable us to see what Flyertalkers will be on our flights.

Fix the bug where threads with a "review" cannot be scrolled left/right in mobile safari using desktop mode.
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.