Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

How should FlyerTalk improve its mobile experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
IB is asking for input but evidently doesn't want input since it won't make its survey available to all FTers, despite repeated requests to do so or at minimum do a site-wide announcement. However, 'hopefully' it will pay attention to comments on this thread. But no guarantee since it says to do the survey which it doesn't make available to everyone. However, please post - just in case.
Print Wikipost

How should FlyerTalk improve its mobile experience?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Platinum
My use has plummeted since the app stopped working. You need to bring that back and I would be interested in understanding why FT is categorically against it.

I agree that infinite scroll is evil and should be banned from all digital experiences.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 5:23 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
For those lamenting the loss of the app, please be specific as to what you prefer in the app over the mobile skin? We are trying to give our developers every bit of information we can and simply saying "I prefer this" doesn't give them much to go on. Thanks!
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:48 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
This could all be very simply resolved by loading up the Tapatalk plugin. Not much point in re-inventing the wheel.

IB seems to be wedded to clunky, awful, mobile apps for some reason. A IB owned car forum I participate in uses a similarly awful app.

If you are concerned about branding, I think a custom branded fork of Tapatalk can be developed.

I'm with others in wondering why there seems to be such resistance to a mobile app here at FT. Almost none of us want to fire up a full browser to access and read.

Last edited by Reds2011; Nov 2, 2016 at 3:05 am Reason: grammar
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IBobi
[*]How often do you visit FT on a *mobile* device each week?
Never. I used to do so quite often. But the user experience is such a disaster now that I don't bother any more.

Give me the My Flyertalk view and a content display that focuses on the posts, not the members or the ads or the headers or links to FT's blogs or anything else.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
For those lamenting the loss of the app, please be specific as to what you prefer in the app over the mobile skin? We are trying to give our developers every bit of information we can and simply saying "I prefer this" doesn't give them much to go on. Thanks!
Because apps are how so many of us get to the content we want to engage (Facebook, Instagram, news outlets, etc.) if you don't have an app you are missing out on a huge segment of your audience wanting to engage.

It doesn't need to be fancy and have lots of bells and whistles, but it needs to work and be easy to read forums and post in them. Modern apps scale to the device and its screen size.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:52 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Because apps are how so many of us get to the content we want to engage (Facebook, Instagram, news outlets, etc.) if you don't have an app you are missing out on a huge segment of your audience wanting to engage.

It doesn't need to be fancy and have lots of bells and whistles, but it needs to work and be easy to read forums and post in them. Modern apps scale to the device and its screen size.
Thank you for the reply!

We have a mobile skin that does everything you mention, just needs a bookmark on your browser and voila!
Old Nov 4, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott Titanium
Thumbs down

There are many problems with the mobile skin:

- A ton of wasted space at the top of the page.

- Different functionality based on which browser you use (I carry two phones and have 4 web browsers between them).

- Navigation is not more efficient than the desktop site, and it hurts.

- Switching between mobile/full is inconsistent and sometimes appears to be random. This is always a problem when you have multiple skins that rely on cookies and user agent strings.

- Persistent logins do not exist outside of saving your password and logging in each time your cookie times out or disappears. Not a smooth experience.

- Requires an constant online connection with decent bandwidth. We're FFs - we go to weird places with spotty data service, and sometimes we're even on planes. The app handled limited connectivity A LOT better.

- We now have about 30% of the content taken up by ads. Surely there is a happy medium between the ad-free app and this virtual times square.

- Infinite scroll, as others have mentioned, is confusing to say the least.

- You can take your time writing/editing a post without worrying about the page refreshing or timing out or an intrusive ad redirecting you. That allows for better, more concise replies.

I have all but stopped participating in the site because of this change. It's become a burden to find valuable information or add insight to the forums from anything but a more powerful and larger screened device, and I feel that it will slowly diminish the content and character of the discussions that happen here.

If the concern is revenue generation, I'm sure a subscription model would be accepted by the majority of the community. Use the mobile skin for free, or pay for the app.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Make it so I don't have to click twice to see my subscribed threads on "My flyertalk"
Old Nov 8, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Guess IB didn't really want all input, as it refused to make this (something that's way more important than a new post editor) a public announcement w/ a link to the survey. Nothing like asking for input w/o really asking for input

Cheers.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 2:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Is there a way to view Wikis in the mobile site or can I just not see it? Every time I try scrolling up in a long thread to get to the top of the page where the Wiki would be, I just keep going up and up through various pages. I end up switching to full desktop version to read the damn Wiki.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 2:47 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CMK10
Is there a way to view Wikis in the mobile site or can I just not see it? Every time I try scrolling up in a long thread to get to the top of the page where the Wiki would be, I just keep going up and up through various pages. I end up switching to full desktop version to read the damn Wiki.
You cannot. Only the full version.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I'm sure the younger crowd will do better than my middle-aged memory, but honestly how specific am I supposed to be with an app that I haven't seen, much less used, in a long time?

I definitely preferred the app and was disappointed when I changed phones some time ago and couldn't get it back...but if you want specifics on how this button or that display format, etc. was better, I can't recreate from memory...Any chance of some sample screenshots of the app to jog rusty memories?
Old Nov 10, 2016, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Thank you for the reply!

We have a mobile skin that does everything you mention, just needs a bookmark on your browser and voila!
why are you so opposed to a real, true app? An app (icon) on the screen is valuable real estate that FT could have on many users screens. Users are far more likely to engage in an app they can click on (and is adjacent to say Facebook, Instagram, ESPN, Tetris, etc.) then to take the steps to open a browser and find a FT bookmark that is out of sight.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 9:28 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
why are you so opposed to a real, true app? An app (icon) on the screen is valuable real estate that FT could have on many users screens. Users are far more likely to engage in an app they can click on (and is adjacent to say Facebook, Instagram, ESPN, Tetris, etc.) then to take the steps to open a browser and find a FT bookmark that is out of sight.
Agreed. At the very least, look up best practices for mobile websites and apps.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
This

Get a freaking app please

the mobile site sucks
make that S-U-C-K-S

plain and simple really

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.