FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   How should FlyerTalk improve its mobile experience? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1798520-how-should-flyertalk-improve-its-mobile-experience.html)

IBobi Oct 25, 2016 6:47 pm

How should FlyerTalk improve its mobile experience?

Hi all,

A while ago, we asked what aspects of FT needed improvement. Now we are drilling down into one area of particular concern with many FTers -- mobile. Currently the mobile experience means either using the default mobile skin, or just using the full "desktop" site on your mobile browser.

In as much or as little detail as you care to give, please answer:
  • How often do you visit FT on a *mobile* device each week?
  • What "desktop" should be added to the mobile skin, if any?
  • What's the biggest challenge with using FT on your phone?
  • How would you improve the FT mobile experience?
Thank you for your thoughts!

-The FT Team

princeville Oct 25, 2016 7:00 pm

I access FT almost exclusively on my phone and wish we could read wikis, or at least see that they exist. Then I at least would know to switch to the desktop version and read it before asking a question that has been addressed in the wiki.

I'd also like the multi-quote feature, but that's a much lower priority.

cblaisd Oct 25, 2016 7:30 pm

Turn the mobile app back on that was hosed in the March "up"grade.

Even unsupported and un-updated for several years, it is light years better than the mobile site.

IBobi Oct 25, 2016 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 27393358)

Even unsupported and un-updated for several years, it is light years better than the mobile site.

Wish we could. It's dead.

SkiAdcock Oct 26, 2016 7:33 am

Good grief. You had a site-wide announcement re: new post editor (something relatively minor) up for almost a month. Something as important as a better mobile app you don't do a site-wide announcement at all?

My first recommendation would be to do a site-wide announcement to garner input. Given that a better mobile experience was in the top 2 requests on your poll not that long ago, I think it should get additional visibility if you want specific input.

Cheers.

Yahillwe Oct 26, 2016 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 27393358)

This, and if it is dead, you could do one similar. I use my mobile more than my lap top. It is very frustrating to me, the mobile one.

IBobi Oct 26, 2016 2:18 pm

We may be replacing this thread with a survey that has a bit more granularity.

Stay tuned...

IBobi Oct 26, 2016 2:38 pm

Here is what is going to happen.

I will leave this thread (unstuck) as-is. Anyone who finds it and wishes to comment, may.

For the rest, we are sampling a big group of FTers and they will see a site notice when they log into FT, and they will have the opportunity to fill out a detailed survey (through SurveyGizmo).

I would recommend that if you see the survey, you ignore this thread. The survey is the better way to provide input if you get it (it will go out today).

Paul

cblaisd Oct 26, 2016 4:34 pm

1) Will that survey have a question about the desirability of an app?

2) What about so many folks (like me) who never log out. I have never seen the point of logging in and out when I'm on a highspeed connection. Suggest you re-think about other ways to get a good sample.

IBobi Oct 26, 2016 4:41 pm

We are confident the sample size is large enough, and people can always respond here. RE: logging in, what I mean is, when you are logged in you will see it. You needn't log out and back in.

The survey questions are very similar to the ones in my OP here.

United747 Oct 26, 2016 6:46 pm

My $.02 prior to the survey, the scrolling on mobile is crap. I hate that going up and down automatically change the page #.

IBobi Oct 26, 2016 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by United747 (Post 27397570)
My $.02 prior to the survey, the scrolling on mobile is crap. I hate that going up and down automatically change the page #.

Do you mean the idea of the so-called "infinite scroll" or the way it actually works in the mobile skin (i.e. you are ok with the infinite scroll but it seems jerky or otherwise buggy)?

United747 Oct 26, 2016 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 27397628)
Do you mean the idea of the so-called "infinite scroll" or the way it actually works in the mobile skin (i.e. you are ok with the infinite scroll but it seems jerky or otherwise buggy)?

Infinite scroll is what bothers me. Couldn't think of the name!

sxc Oct 26, 2016 7:26 pm

If you want an example of a discussion forum with a good mobile skin, please have a look at www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au

- There are lots of "action" buttons available, with quote and multi-quote
- Colour differentiation and more UI texture makes it more usable and obvious what you can "do" in the mobile skin
- Responsive, easier UI when replying
- Infinite scroll isn't really necessary
- From the forum thread list, there are places where you can either jump to the top of the thread, or the first unread. And First unread works properly.
- Embedded images display well on the mobile skin

toomanybooks Oct 26, 2016 7:54 pm

I mostly use FT on my 5.5" iPhone screen. Am on daily.

I always shift to "full site." Utterly despise the mobile interface.

Also despise how the system switches me back to mobile interface from full site every few days.