Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner

Print Wikipost

SFO/OAK/SJC Bay Area Meetup/Happy Hour

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by bman1002
Anyone up for something early in the New Year? Perhaps in Burlingame/Millbrae? I work in the area so I am a bit partial to it
If you look up in this thread just a little ways, there was a small get-together in August 2019 at Ipoh Garden Malaysian Cuisine @ 100 El Camino Real, Millbrae (close to Millbrae BART/Transit Center). I wasn't there, but it sounds like a good choice, especially given its proximity to BART/Caltrain/SamTrans.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
I was at the August IPOH Garden meet-up. The food was delicious and would love to eat there again. The only issue is that they don't want to seat the group until the entire party is present. That becomes a bit problematical when it's an informal group like us with people not showing up at the same time or not coming at all. Also, for the alcoholic drinkers, I can't speak to whether there is alcohol or not since I don't imbibe.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by cocobird
I was at the August IPOH Garden meet-up. The food was delicious and would love to eat there again. The only issue is that they don't want to seat the group until the entire party is present. That becomes a bit problematical when it's an informal group like us with people not showing up at the same time or not coming at all. Also, for the alcoholic drinkers, I can't speak to whether there is alcohol or not since I don't imbibe.
They have beer and wine, I believe.

As for the seating issue, maybe coordinate with each other via texting. Is there a bar where people can sit while waiting for others to show up? (I mean is there a bar inside Ipoh. Haven't been there yet myself.)

Last edited by KathyWdrf; Jan 1, 2020 at 1:32 pm
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:45 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I would love to join for a bay area meetup again soon. Maybe in Feb?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:30 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Steelhead Brewing in Burlingame is another good option near Caltrain (also a no-transfer samTrans ride from SFO). We had the pre-final-VX-flight meetup there.

Originally Posted by ryandc99
I would love to join for a bay area meetup again soon. Maybe in Feb?
I can't make early January but February should work for me.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Steelhead Brewing in Burlingame is another good option near Caltrain (also a no-transfer samTrans ride from SFO). We had the pre-final-VX-flight meetup there.

I can't make early January but February should work for me.
I like the idea of Steelhead! That should have something for everybody, and easily accessible. How about February 5th then?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by bman1002
I like the idea of Steelhead! That should have something for everybody, and easily accessible. How about February 5th then?
I could do that. But I don't want to discourage anyone from meeting up in January too
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Unable to come to the proposed February date because of prior travel commitments.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
Steelhead Brewing in Burlingame is another good option near Caltrain (also a no-transfer samTrans ride from SFO)....
Sure, but that SamTrans ride from SFO BART to Steelhead is ~20 min (added to whatever time it took one to get to that connection point).

TBH, as an SF resident, I vastly prefer SF locations. The farther from SF, the less interested I am. But that's just me. (I have a car, but don't like driving during bad traffic times. Also, I generally avoid drinking and driving.)
Old Jan 2, 2020, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Sure, but that SamTrans ride from SFO BART to Steelhead is ~20 min (added to whatever time it took one to get to that connection point).
I mentioned it in case anyone was coming directly from SFO. A number of people somehow managed to brave the for the aforementioned pre-VX meetup and survived

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
TBH, as an SF resident, I vastly prefer SF locations. The farther from SF, the less interested I am. But that's just me. (I have a car, but don't like driving during bad traffic times. Also, I generally avoid drinking and driving.)
No one is stopping anyone from proposing and organizing their own meetup elsewhere for people to take potshots about why they won't attend
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

... seriously though, the Bay Area is huge, so definitely not every meeting will be convenient for everyone, but I would love it if we could have greater diversity in locations. But people in those areas need to step up and propose stuff
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think Ipoh Garden Malaysian restaurant (Millbrae, next to BART/Caltrain/SamTrans) is still a possibility for January (this month) or future months. I'm interested. It seems as though a few others may be. So, speak up, everyone! (Even if it ends up being only 3 - 4 people, still could be fun.)
Zorak likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
possible incoming

Fri 31 Jan, 1500-1900 (+/-) layover at SJC (subject, as usual, to the whims of the clients who approve travel)

(could perhaps finesse to SFO, but I’m FAR more apprehensive about wx issues there)
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Mondays or Thursdays generally will work best for me in January or February this year.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
Fri 31 Jan, 1500-1900 (+/-) layover at SJC (subject, as usual, to the whims of the clients who approve travel)

(could perhaps finesse to SFO, but I’m FAR more apprehensive about wx issues there)
Originally Posted by Majuki
Mondays or Thursdays generally will work best for me in January or February this year.
I could do Jan 27, 30, 31, and my first half of Feb is fairly wide open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.