Search
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner

Print Wikipost

SFO/OAK/SJC Bay Area Meetup/Happy Hour

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Zorak
^ is there a day before the 5th that works better for you than any of the others?
Yep, any Tues or Thurs. between now and Feb 5th (at least for now). Thanks for asking.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:47 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by cocobird
Yep, any Tues or Thurs. between now and Feb 5th (at least for now).
Great! Majuki, anyone else, how does that overlap with you all? There's also the potential ryandc99 visit later in the month.

Thanks for asking.
You're welcome. Just to clarify, when I listed a range of dates, I thought it would be interpreted as an implicit invitation to similarly look for and volunteer any overlap, but I apologize if that was unclear.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
You're welcome. Just to clarify, when I listed a range of dates, I thought it would be interpreted as an implicit invitation to similarly look for and volunteer any overlap, but I apologize if that was unclear.
No apologies needed. Organizing these get togethers is like herding cats. Since I was at the last one, I didn't want to push any particular dates that others might prefer.
Zorak likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
No apologies needed. Organizing these get togethers is like herding cats. Since I was at the last one, I didn't want to push any particular dates that others might prefer.
Just thinking out loud, I've previously used tools like doodle.com (and specifically, doodle.com ) which are good for crowd-sourcing good meeting dates/times, but they all more suited to organizing meetings in specific places (or online/video conference); I'm not sure the best way to adapt it to the situation here where people's enthusiasm for any given date could vary widely depending on where in the peninsula it is. Maybe a separate Doodle for each likely region, but that feels cumbersome.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
With those constraints, I'm good for this Thursday, the 23rd. Tuesdays evenings aren't good for me.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Majuki
With those constraints, I'm good for this Thursday, the 23rd. Tuesdays evenings aren't good for me.
I could do tomorrow.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:51 pm

I could do tomorrow.
I apologize for last minute change and late reply, but my dad had a heart attack today and is in the hospital. I won't be able to come tomorrow.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

I apologize for last minute change and late reply, but my dad had a heart attack today and is in the hospital.
!! sorry to hear thinking good thoughts for you and your family.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Will be meeting up with ryandc99 next Sunday the 23rd. The current plan, such as it is, is DTF at the Westfied mall around 7pm* -- although they take reservations on Yelp, there's nothing available (but I am on the SMS waitlist if something opens up). Backup plan if the wait is too long is Ramen Nagi, although there are certainly other possibilities in the area as well.

*or whenever soon after he arrives at SJC if that's too fuzzy to organize around, we could also set a definite meet-up time for drinks somewhere nearby and migrate to DTF after his flight lands.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Will be meeting up with ryandc99 next Sunday the 23rd. The current plan, such as it is, is DTF at the Westfied mall around 7pm* -- although they take reservations on Yelp, there's nothing available (but I am on the SMS waitlist if something opens up). Backup plan if the wait is too long is Ramen Nagi, although there are certainly other possibilities in the area as well.

*or whenever soon after he arrives at SJC if that's too fuzzy to organize around, we could also set a definite meet-up time for drinks somewhere nearby and migrate to DTF after his flight lands.
Count me in.
Zorak likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:59 pm

Hi, I may join if I'm available.

Will be flying in from LGB the day before. I should know by 2/22.
May have a +1 as well and will confirm later
Zorak likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Hahaha -- I had a chuckle wondering what kind of restaurant would call itself "DTF." But then I figured out that you mean Din Tai Fung in the Westfield Valley Fair Mall (in Santa Clara/San Jose -- yup, the mall is in both cities).
corky and Zorak like this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Hahaha -- I had a chuckle wondering what kind of restaurant would call itself "DTF." But then I figured out that you mean Din Tai Fung in the Westfield Valley Fair Mall (in Santa Clara/San Jose -- yup, the mall is in both cities).
I've always found the acronym amusing

Wandering OT but IIRC there was a Planet Money episode or segment talking about the fact that the mall straddles two different cities and either different tax or minimum wage/benefits laws created an interesting situation for the owner of two pretzel kiosks, one in each city, because they had to pay employees more at one of them or somesuch.

EDIT: https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...a-mall-divided
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:55 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

Looking forward to it.
Zorak likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:51 pm

I've always found the acronym amusing

Wandering OT but IIRC there was a Planet Money episode or segment talking about the fact that the mall straddles two different cities and either different tax or minimum wage/benefits laws created an interesting situation for the owner of two pretzel kiosks, one in each city, because they had to pay employees more at one of them or somesuch.

EDIT: https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...a-mall-divided
I remember when one half of the mall would charge for bags and the other wouldn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.