Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Belgian Beer Festival DO VII in BRU, April 22-23, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Interest in Side Trip to Brewery?
I am interested in sharing costs of a car and/or driver for a one day trip
20.00%
I am interested in sharing costs of a car and/or driver for a two day, overnight, trip
60.00%
I may be interested, depending on the destination
20.00%
I am not interested
0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: polkacat
Attending
polkacat
arollins +5
ellyse +3
KMA26
miko2a
CDKing
srletend
iris30
ANC RED-EYE +1
island82

DO Information

Friday 21 April

6:00 pm drinks: Delirium Cafe (Be sure you go to Delirium Cafe, not Little Delirium!)

7:00 pm dinner: Bier Circus (capped at 12 persons)

Dinner Atendees: Polkacat +2, CDKing, krazykanuck, miko2a, miko2a +1, iris30, kma26, ANC RED-EYE, ANC RED-EYE+1, srletend

Saturday 22 April

Noon - 11 pm Zythos Bierfestival

Buy tokens in advance: http://www.zbf.be/en/advance-sales/
The list of beers is here.

For anyone who wants to travel in a group, I suggest IC 509 departing Central/Centraal at 11 am. This train arrives Leuven at 11:24.

For those who have not been before, if you travel on a train other than IC 509: exit the Leuven train station and bear right to get to the bus depot. The free shuttle to the hall is clearly marked and usually on the 3rd or so platform.

We will grab seats at a table toward the back on the right side of the main hall (in which all of the beer booths are located) as you walk in.

Sunday 23 April

Zythos Bierfestival 11 am - 9 pm

Possible alternate outing, TBD.
Print Wikipost

Belgian Beer Festival DO VII in BRU, April 22-23, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus; American Advantage; Marriott Rewards; Hilton Honors
For those who might be interested in staying at a Starwood property the weekend of ZBF, I just noticed that both the Four Points by Sheraton Brussels and the Aloft Brussels Schuman are on the latest SPG Hot Escapes list. Prices for that Fri and Sat are very reasonable IMO. As usual, please note that these rates would be Non-Refunable and Non-Changeable and must be booked by this Saturday the 8th.
http://www.spghotescapes.com
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by polkacat
Bummer! Maybe we'll see you at Delirium?
Maybe, that day we are arriving from Brugges, not sure on time, but could be possible.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
So due to some unfortunate developments in my professional life as of today, I don't think I have the political capital to be able to cash in the PTO for this trip and thinking long term, it will be best if I call my vacation quits when I get home from the Japan DO. I got raked over the coals today, professionally speaking, and was able to sell a few days off to "clear my head", but 11 full days PTO in a row would be pushing my luck when I least need to ruffle feathers.

Maybe next year!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:25 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by KMA26
For those who might be interested in staying at a Starwood property the weekend of ZBF, I just noticed that both the Four Points by Sheraton Brussels and the Aloft Brussels Schuman are on the latest SPG Hot Escapes list. Prices for that Fri and Sat are very reasonable IMO. As usual, please note that these rates would be Non-Refunable and Non-Changeable and must be booked by this Saturday the 8th.
http://www.spghotescapes.com
Thanks for the heads up. Can anyone comment on the location of these for a first time visitor to Brussels? I need to go re read the excellent summary previously posted in answer to similar inquiry. To me personally, central location to main sights and activities trumps fancier rooms.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:43 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by arollins
Any place close to Grand Place (city center) is good, which is also close to the central train station. Numerous metro stops, lots of restaurants, bars, all within walking distance along with several sightseeing areas. Hotels could be pricey, but there are deals, Accor hotels had a 4th night free. Another option is by midi south station, but the area does not have much sightseeing, and is a bit industrial, however, it's close to Cantillon and Moede Lambic (spelling), where some of us will be at. This area tends to be the cheapest one. Another good area is by the EU parliaments, hotels are cheap on weekends, several bars and restaurants in the area as well. We are staying here, the Radisson Red.

Both midi south/zud and EU parliament area are within 20-30 minute walking to city center, or just 1-2 metro stops. Metros are very efficient and punctual, they run every 3-5 minutes, much sporadic at nightime. I think cost was 1.60 EUR one way. Normally I stay at the Radisson Blue by the Grand Place, and it's very convenient. I've also stayed at the Sheraton Aloft by Schuman station, used to get deals at 49EUR, that was a good one as well. This time we are trying the Radisson Red, I'm hearding a group of 3 couples, myself/spouse included, we opted to use metro.
Originally Posted by KMA26
I concur with the excellent summary by arollins re: the main areas. Have stayed at the Rad Blu and Marriott near Grand Place; good locations, a little pricier. Yes, the Renaissance and Radisson Red are across the street from each other, about a block from the Brussels Luxemburg train station which provides easy access to Leuven for ZBF with only a transfer at Brussels Nord station.
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Thanks for the heads up. Can anyone comment on the location of these for a first time visitor to Brussels? I need to go re read the excellent summary previously posted in answer to similar inquiry. To me personally, central location to main sights and activities trumps fancier rooms.
Think I answered my own question with the help of google maps and these previous replies (thanks). The Aloft is likely in the superior location, near the Parliament, but a bit remote from central sites perhaps (looks like 30 min walking, 20 min public transport). Debating if I will go with that area or just find something acceptable closer in to the city center. Thanks again for the advice.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
So due to some unfortunate developments in my professional life as of today, I don't think I have the political capital to be able to cash in the PTO for this trip and thinking long term, it will be best if I call my vacation quits when I get home from the Japan DO. I got raked over the coals today, professionally speaking, and was able to sell a few days off to "clear my head", but 11 full days PTO in a row would be pushing my luck when I least need to ruffle feathers.

Maybe next year!
Ugh, sorry to hear that. Enjoy Japan and hopefully we'll see you at a future Belgium DO.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I have no idea where i'm staying yet. I Dont even know where to start
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
The summary by arollins is a great start. Staying near Midi or Central train station offers easy access to transport, including to and from the airport. I like to be near Midi to be near my favorite brewery and my favorite bar, but the area is a bit dingy and definitely lacking in sights. The EU area and Central station are cleaner, more attractive and frankly more upscale.

The North train station also offers easy transport access if you stay in one of the chain hotels near there, but the area doesn't really have character and staying in a locally owned hotel can put you several transfers away from where you want to be, as I learned the hard way!!!!

Any hotels near the Grand Place will also make your life easy in terms of transportation and being near sights, restaurants and bars. The only downside is it is the heart of the tourist area and can be crowded and noisy.

Hope that is a bit helpful!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: WP
I am looking at Thon Hotel Brussels City Centre, NH Collection Brussels Center or Hotel Bloom. All under USD100/night if picking the non refundable rate.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Think I answered my own question with the help of google maps and these previous replies (thanks). The Aloft is likely in the superior location, near the Parliament, but a bit remote from central sites perhaps (looks like 30 min walking, 20 min public transport). Debating if I will go with that area or just find something acceptable closer in to the city center. Thanks again for the advice.
Having stayed @ Aloft in my first visits, it is good location. You are 7 minutes from Schuman station. The area is more towards residential and it is quiet, however you have several restaurants, bars supermarkets and large public park. The main attraction here is perhaps the #1 spot for Belgian frites, Maison Antoine, http://www.maisonantoine.be/

Most of us, at some point or another will go there, I know my group will.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:05 pm

I didn't see this mentioned before, and figure I add some extra info.
Brussels has a 10 trip rail pass that cost around 76EUR. This comes in handy for those that are planning day trips to Bruges, Ghent and of course Leuven for the beer festival. You can partner up with another person and split the cost. Its best to use these for the long distance, expensive trips, figure Bruges and Leuven that's 4 trips, if you partner up, that's 8, and you can use the leftover one for the trip to the airport.

Just a suggestion, as unfortunately I do not think Brussels metro does not offer what I consider a multi use rail card for everyday metro rides.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks, arollins, great info. I'll also note that for those who are not making multiple train journeys but only going between Brussels and Leuven, you can save a little money by buying your ticket in advance online as there is a Weekend Internet Fare. These tickets are good for a return journey at any time during the weekend. It would also be useful if you are planning a day trip on Sunday.

The app offered by the rail company is nice and useful too for those interested in having info at their fingertips.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by arollins
I didn't see this mentioned before, and figure I add some extra info.
Brussels has a 10 trip rail pass that cost around 76EUR. This comes in handy for those that are planning day trips to Bruges, Ghent and of course Leuven for the beer festival. You can partner up with another person and split the cost. Its best to use these for the long distance, expensive trips, figure Bruges and Leuven that's 4 trips, if you partner up, that's 8, and you can use the leftover one for the trip to the airport.

Just a suggestion, as unfortunately I do not think Brussels metro does not offer what I consider a multi use rail card for everyday metro rides.
I looked into that 10-trip ticket, and you'll need to pay the Diablo surcharge for rides to/from the airport, so sadly that would come up to much much than I would've spent on single tickets.

I'm staying in Leuven 21-23/4 and then moving to Brussels on 23/4 morning, so for the Ghent-Leuven ride on 21/4, I'm planning to buy Ghent-Brussels one-way and a weekend ticket for Brussels-Leuven round-trip. Does it matter if I just stay on the same train for Ghent-Leuven, or should I need to get on a new train at Brussels to use the other ticket?

I'm actually also keeping an eye on BlaBlaCar to see if any drivers would be driving the routes that I plan to take at times that suit me. That would be even cheaper than taking the train.

CDKing, I'm staying with a CouchSurfing host near Brussels Nord station. Actually both my Leuven and Brussels (as well as Bruges) hosts have told me they're happy to host my friends as well, but I don't think any of you would be looking for that option...
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ellyse
CDKing, I'm staying with a CouchSurfing host near Brussels Nord station. Actually both my Leuven and Brussels (as well as Bruges) hosts have told me they're happy to host my friends as well, but I don't think any of you would be looking for that option...
I might be interested. I'm doing Burges as well. I usually do AirBNB.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
I might be interested. I'm doing Burges as well. I usually do AirBNB.
I'm CouchSurfing in Bruges 18-20/4, Leuven 21-23/4, and Brussels 23-25/4. I've got a night in Ghent but I can't offer that as I'm actually staying in my ex-surfer's house without her actually being around, so it would be a really douche move to bring in someone she doesn't know. If you're really interested, do write up a good CouchSurfing profile, and I can ask my hosts about it.

If you'd like to see me on CouchSurfing, this is my profile: http://www.couchsurfing.com/people/ellyse

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.