Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WineDO 8.5-- Saturday, January 23, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
Meteorolgy video

For those who want a more technical account of this weekend's storm, check out this ten minute video by meteorologist Steve DiMartino, who is on Twitter as @nynjpaweather. I recommend you follow him.

link to @nynjpaweather video

But, for those of you who are normal people (are any FT people normal people?) or if you don't care about the meteorological crap, here's the summary:

Storm is impressive, very high winds, and snow accumulations will vary wildly by location due snow bands. Some spots maybe less than 10 inches and other spots could go over 15" or 20" if you're lucky to be under one of those snow bands.

Good thing Ithaka is just a couple blocks from the Lex Ave Subway 86 Street station on the 4 5 6 lines. If you're planning on a taxi please remember some drivers come from places where there are no blizzards. The cab may not be moving, but the meter certainly will.

Apologies, during the video there is a bit of wasted time around 5 minutes where Steve has to search for one of the maps. But some of it is in plain English and, if you're waiting in a lounge at some airport right now, it will help pass the time.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: US, HH
Well, I made it in. This DO had better be good
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by GrjApp
Well, I made it in. This DO had better be good
You better have some fun for me.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
United just cancelled my flight into LGA tonight. On the line with the premier desk to see if I can get in on one of the flights into EWR that haven't been nixed yet.

Edit: booked on another flight into EWR. The last flight of the day that lands at midnight. If this one doesn't work, I'm done for. I have an odd feeling about this because most of the fare classes on the flight it put me on are zeroed out yet it let me rebook into it and select seats.

Edit 2: too bad I couldn't make it to the airport for the 1:15 pm flight, I could have had the front cabin to myself!

Last edited by krazykanuck; Jan 22, 2016 at 12:15 pm
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Angry

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
United just cancelled my flight into LGA tonight. On the line with the premier desk to see if I can get in on one of the flights into EWR that haven't been nixed yet.

Edit: booked on another flight into EWR. The last flight of the day that lands at midnight. If this one doesn't work, I'm done for. I have an odd feeling about this because most of the fare classes on the flight it put me on are zeroed out yet it let me rebook into it and select seats.

Edit 2: too bad I couldn't make it to the airport for the 1:15 pm flight, I could have had the front cabin to myself!

All of today's IAH-EWR UA flights listed for departure after 1:15pm shw as canceled from what I can see...
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

My flight, 2055, is still showing as on schedule when I type it in but it doesn't show up on the flight status page if you search IAH-EWR. I don't trust that it will actually go because they cancelled the flight that leaves 30 mins before mine.

We'll see how things look in an hour or two. I may not make it because I doubt I'd be able to get home on Sunday now with the snow forecast being higher.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
Often the last flights in (those with aircraft not doing another run today) get cancelled so the aircraft doesn't get stuck here, since tomorrow morning's flights likely won't go.

Flights for which the aircraft is heading out again tonight would do better.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Given that every other IAH-EWR flight was canceled and that this is a 737 that would be expected to RON I'd expect this t cancel as well. It is pretty full. Time will tell...
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
On the ground at LGA. Looks like we got out of Dodge just in time, as it now appears the snowfall has commenced and the remainder of the AA DCA Shuttle flights have been canx'd.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
yep, snow started ~1300 ... looking out my 7th floor window, the roads around Ballston are indeed getting ugly
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
it's crazy guys. Trying to come .... trying ... damn UA ...
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It's scary as hell down here too. I'm not leaving my house, though my Glenlivet bottle is about 2/3s empty which scares me more than the ice
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
My driveway is beginning to look better. But I wouldn't have made a flight today even if it had cancelled.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Well folks, United has cancelled my last attempt to get to NYC, so looks like I'm not going to make it.

Catch y'all another time...
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Well folks, United has cancelled my last attempt to get to NYC, so looks like I'm not going to make it.

Catch y'all another time...

Don't give up yet! There is a DL4106 to LGA that runs at 330pm. Any chance UA would roll you to the DL flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.