Wiki Posts
Search

LEX Horse & Bourbon DO VII, Oct 2-4, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
A quick bump to remind myself to book a room at the 4 Points.
Damn - too late. Sold out - any recommendation for another hotel in the area?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So is the Embassy Suites - wow.

EDIT - finally - booked in the Howard Johnson - arrive Saturday lunchtime - leave Sunday afternoon - driving from Dayton.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Aug 14, 2015 at 1:58 pm
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:51 am

Thread Hijack: The only DO I've ever been to was this one. Really enjoyed meeting everyone and hope to do it again. I was the one there with the pregnant wife last Spring. So I highly recommend it.

I bought a house in Jackson Hole, Wy, which is at the bottom of Grand Teton National Park and 2 hours from Old Faithful in Yellowstone of course. I could host from my home. Jackson has two breweries and a ton of good restaurants. Of course the hiking, fishing, biking, horse riding, animal watching, etc... are world class. I was looking to see if anyone had interest if so I would get it organized. July-August are the high season so I was thinking either June or September. So as to not take over the LEXDO thread, send me a PM. I was hoping some of you would come join us for a long weekend and get some national parks off your bucket list. I didn't start a real thread yet and was hoping to get some people to help with dates/willingness to go before I do so.

United is the big airline there with a few flights from AA/DL. For the Chicago gang their are several direct flights daily in the Summer from Chicago. I think AA has one daily. Not a lot of chain hotels.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
So is the Embassy Suites - wow.

EDIT - finally - booked in the Howard Johnson - arrive Saturday lunchtime - leave Sunday afternoon - driving from Dayton.
There is a Knights Inn directly across the street. From what I heard, not terrible, just basic. Actually had a friend stay there once, but it was about 25 years ago.

There is a Clarion about 6 blocks away and Griffin Gate Resort (Marriott chain, I believe) not much further. The latter is (I think) the only "resort" in LEX on Hotwire/Priceline. Literally a 2-minute drive for someone to pick you up and get back to 4 Points.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I am at The Howard Johnson - hopefully someone will give me a ride so I do not need to drive. Looking forward to meeting a few and having bourbon etc
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus; American Advantage; Marriott Rewards; Hilton Honors
Not going to be able to make it to LEX this fall; however, we hope that the tradition continues next April and that we'll see the usual suspects and meet some new folks at that time.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus; American Advantage; Marriott Rewards; Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
There is a Knights Inn directly across the street. From what I heard, not terrible, just basic. Actually had a friend stay there once, but it was about 25 years ago.

There is a Clarion about 6 blocks away and Griffin Gate Resort (Marriott chain, I believe) not much further. The latter is (I think) the only "resort" in LEX on Hotwire/Priceline. Literally a 2-minute drive for someone to pick you up and get back to 4 Points.
I stayed at this Clarion on Choice points one night back in April for that LEX Do and it was quite adequate. As toomanybooks said, it's barely more than a stones throw from the 4 Points and has availability that Oct weekend for cash or points stays.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by KMA26
Not going to be able to make it to LEX this fall; however, we hope that the tradition continues next April and that we'll see the usual suspects and meet some new folks at that time.
Very sorry to hear this - I will do my best to cover at least some of your Sculpin consumption!
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

800K gallons of Jim Beam bourbon goes up in flames.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Firenado.html
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
There's availability again for Sat night. $143 at SPG Hot Escapes rate or 3k points.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Got my flights from ORD; only 9000 Avios + $11.20 vs. cash price of $308! Arriving Oct 1 at 2:40 pm, AA 3359. Dad picking me up. Anyone want a lift? You can help me go shopping for the Sat. reception. And might be some beers involved.

Return Oct 6, mid-afternoon (parents coming with back to Chicago).

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Sep 10, 2015 at 10:47 am
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattp1987
There's availability again for Sat night. $143 at SPG Hot Escapes rate or 3k points.
Well spotted sir. Howard Johnson cancelled and ----

Step 3: Reservation Confirmed
Thank you for your reservation! We look forward to seeing you.
Your confirmation will be sent by e-mail shortly.
Easily book another room at Four Points by Sheraton Lexington
Old Sep 11, 2015, 6:59 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Return Oct 6, mid-afternoon (parents coming with back to Chicago).
If I had the time to take, I'd like to be part of this road trip. Alas, no can do.

My plan is to leave Friday afterwork & drive to/close to Cincinnati, then join up with the group on Saturday morning.

I'll then drive back to Chicago area on Sunday after activities.

If anyone needs a ride, pm me.

-
Old Sep 15, 2015, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A very good HS friend owns this place: Chevy Chase Inn. Used to be an "old-man bar," but now getting more crafty and trendy, but still a bit dive-ish. Said if we tell him what kind of beers we like, he will get a few kegs to accommodate us during the weekend.

So send recommendations, please.

This is located a couple doors down from the Beer Trappe, which many of us have enjoyed over the years (a top-100 beer bar in US). Across the street from Charlie Brown's, a good college-y restaurant with excellent burgers and such.

Not too far from my parents', so maybe we could combine with Saturday eve. But LEX is small enough that going from A to B only takes 20 minutes max, usually.

https://www.facebook.com/chevychaseinn
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:20 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
So send recommendations, please.
If the group's drinking volume warrants it, I'd like to see something Non-IPA, like a good bitter beer if possible. (LOVE British/Australian bitter beers). If your bud can get a keg of a bitter beer, I'll bring along two growlers to fill up for back home.

If not I'll certainly partake of some keg IPA type beer which I would assume will be the primary beer of choice among the beer crowd attending.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.