Wiki Posts
Search

DO it Wright - Dayton, OH - Dates TBD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
this will definitely be on my calendar as long as it doesn't conflict with our mid-Jul EDI/AMS trip ... however, I am also hopeful that mattp1987 and GRALISTAIR will organize some sort of beer- and/or bourbon-based meetup (preferably on a weekend) between now and the time Matt departs the fix at WPAFB in late Mar
Yes, I'm for that. The weekend of March 11-13 would probably work well for me. It might be a little chilly for an official DO, but I'm up for it if others are. I definitely cannot do Presidents Day (Feb 12-15) or the weekend after (Feb 19-21).

The NMUSAF is always open and is a good option for a cold day. Even with the presidential and experimental aircraft exhibits closed for the time being there is plenty to see. I haven't checked out all the other aero sites, but I will say that Wright Cycle Company was somewhat disappointing.

I live near downtown and in walking distance of three breweries, numerous beer bars, and one of the top whiskey/bourbon bars outside the great state of Kentucky. There's also nice rooftop patio on my building we could use for a cookout/potluck if the weather looks nice. One downside is that there is really only one downtown hotel (Crowne Plaza).

Unfortunately, the Dragons don't resume play until April.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I like that mid-March schedule ... for now, at least :/
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:34 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I'm interested in principle, although in that timeframe the weekends that work well for me are 3/18-20, 3/25-27 (although that's Easter weekend), 4/1-3 (which I gather may be too late).

I can't commit to it yet though, so definitely don't weight my preferences very highly if at all
Old Jan 13, 2016, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
As a DAY local (South of town), I am always willing to hang out...as long as I am not away on travel.

mattp1987: I assume you are talking about The Century Bar? http://www.centurybourbon.com/

Sounds like a fun weekend to me ^
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by mattp1987
One downside is that there is really only one downtown hotel (Crowne Plaza).
8 miles south where I live there is a large number of Hotel choices - exit 44 and exit 41 I-75. At exit 41 there is an excellent brewpub with many many beers on tap and bottled. It is called BJs - I have taken Matt there. Hilton Garden Inn on site in walking distance. Plenty of other restaurants on that site and Wright Brothers airport very close by.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Jan 13, 2016 at 3:26 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:56 pm

I'm new around these parts, but there aren't many events that revolve around good beer and whiskey that I'm not down for. My schedule is incredibly flexible, so as long as you don't do something silly like plan it for St Paddys, I'm pretty sure I'm in. Gives me an excuse to run to Muncie, even, which I keep putting off.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Yes, I'm for that. The weekend of March 11-13 would probably work well for me. It might be a little chilly for an official DO, but I'm up for it if others are. I definitely cannot do Presidents Day (Feb 12-15) or the weekend after (Feb 19-21).

The NMUSAF is always open and is a good option for a cold day. Even with the presidential and experimental aircraft exhibits closed for the time being there is plenty to see. I haven't checked out all the other aero sites, but I will say that Wright Cycle Company was somewhat disappointing.

I live near downtown and in walking distance of three breweries, numerous beer bars, and one of the top whiskey/bourbon bars outside the great state of Kentucky. There's also nice rooftop patio on my building we could use for a cookout/potluck if the weather looks nice. One downside is that there is really only one downtown hotel (Crowne Plaza).

Unfortunately, the Dragons don't resume play until April.
I can't do the weekend of 3/11 - 3/13. It's the first weekend of St. Patrick's / St. Joseph's week in New Orleans and we have company staying with us. I could get out for Saturday the following weekend. I'd probably be in NY/NJ starting Tuesday 3/15 and arrive in DAY on Sat (3/19, departing to MSY on Sunday 3/20.

Well, I ran it by the boss who told me that she'd booked us for a conference in Birmingham, AL on Sat 3/19 so March is completely out for me as is April. Too bad.

Last edited by SuperG1955; Jan 13, 2016 at 4:29 pm Reason: Date update
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'll be working that weekend as I'm headed to South Korea and Japan on Monday the 14th
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Will definitely attend a DAY DO. Maybe interested in the bb game.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'll be working that weekend as I'm headed to South Korea and Japan on Monday the 14th
guessing you'll be studying for the bar exam en route ...
what's your return?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:03 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jrl767
guessing you'll be studying for the bar exam en route ...
what's your return?
Hey the Bar isn't until July, that's plenty of time to procrastinate

I return on the 21st. It's my last Spring Break ever, bar exam or not, I WILL be celebrating it in style.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
Hey the Bar isn't until July, that's plenty of time to procrastinate

I return on the 21st. It's my last Spring Break ever, bar exam or not, I WILL be celebrating it in style.
^^^
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Okay, so seeing this thread pushed me to look at my schedule to see if/when I could make it to the DAY area. I am already busy on the suggested weekend of March 11-13, so I ended up booking Avios flights (while they are still 4500 each way) to CMH on the morning of Thursday March 24 and returning on the afternoon of Saturday the 26th. I plan to spend a few hours at the Museum of the AF at least two of those days; if anyone wants to join me there and/or for dinner at BJ's (and/or other possibilities) just let me know
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
Okay, so seeing this thread pushed me to look at my schedule to see if/when I could make it to the DAY area. I am already busy on the suggested weekend of March 11-13, so I ended up booking Avios flights (while they are still 4500 each way) to CMH on the morning of Thursday March 24 and returning on the afternoon of Saturday the 26th. I plan to spend a few hours at the Museum of the AF at least two of those days; if anyone wants to join me there and/or for dinner at BJ's (and/or other possibilities) just let me know
Just be aware that AFIT graduation is at the Museum the evening of March 24. It doesn't start until after closing time, but there might be larger crowds from family members in town for graduation. I'll have to pass on meeting up, unfortunately. Thursday will be spent finishing packing my moving truck and then at graduation, and I'll be hitting the road as early as I can Friday. I have quite a bit of driving to do before unpacking my truck and then flying SAT-LAX-BNE on Sunday.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
I almost guarantee I can do dinner Thursday and/or Friday at BJs. Rusty Bucket has an outstanding selection of beers too. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.