Reload this Page >

WineDo 7 - Sunday June 15, 2014 - NYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WineDo 7 - Sunday June 15, 2014 - NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Originally Posted by cfischer
^^
You are going to be even happier...
+1 bringing 2008 Pierre Paillard bouzy blanc des blancs and
2008 Franck Bonneville millesime.

There is a bubbles do inside this do...
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DLroads
You are going to be even happier...
+1 bringing 2008 Pierre Paillard bouzy blanc des blancs and
2008 Franck Bonneville millesime.

There is a bubbles do inside this do...
I am foreseeing an intense evening tomorrow
Old Jun 14, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
The list was updated. Very last update prior to do.
Nine bubbles, eight whites... wineDO seven is ready in full force

Last edited by DLroads; Jun 14, 2014 at 4:37 pm
Old Jun 14, 2014, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I have just settled in and taken the Kirkland brand Maximum Strength Ranitidine tablets out of my bag so I do not forget to take one mańana.

As to the host/organizer of this event, it has taken you years, but you have finally ordered (and it was delivered) absolute atmospheric pleasantness for my arrival. Thank you! I heard that all the pecados were washed away yesterday.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:57 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
from violist & lili - Austin Hope late harvest roussanne 05.
Enough for a taste for everyone.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by challett
I couldn't decide, so I'm bringing 3 bottles... hope no one minds.

2006 Larmandier-Bernier, Vieille Vigne de Cramant, Grand Cru, Extra Brut
NV Pierre Peters, Cuvee de Reserve, Grand Cru, Blanc de Blancs Brut
NV Guy Larmandier, Cramant Grand Cru, Blanc de Blancs Brut
Darn, now I'm even more sorry I can't be there.

Have fun everyone.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hello from the Algonquin. Will see you all later tonight
Old Jun 15, 2014, 2:21 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
So.... moved over to my new hotel, looks like my "commute" to the restaurant will be a 25 min subway affair from the Aloft Brooklyn.

Looking forward to meeting everybody later this evening.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
Greetings from a wet and miserable Melbourne, Australia (not Florida )

I wish I was there with you all. I trust you are all enjoying a great evening.

The wine list looks great. Thanks for posting DLroads
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:34 pm
mjm
Original Member

No notes whatsoever? Or pictures? Hmmmm........slacking folks, slacking.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mjm
No notes whatsoever? Or pictures? Hmmmm........slacking folks, slacking.
Please do not confuse "in recovery" with "slacking."
While the host can confirm, we finished more wine than EVAR - there was barely a few gotas left from the 36-ish bottles, and the remaining crowd was essentially evicted from the room at 1130pm for an event that started at 630.

My sense is that there will be fewer notes and more fond memories of tonight than in years past.

I was so glad to see Anna there enjoying herself. I hope she left with fond memories of tonight.

And to the host, once again, Sr. Hammer, you have done "good."

The only disappointment of the night is that, despite the $5 "tip in advance," Kathy didn't give us her table dance.

Thank you all, everyone, to your company, and to your liquids. You have made this my FT "event of the year."

To my querido amigo Gaucho100K, thank you for making the trip north. It is nice to drink your swill every once in awhile in the northern hemisphere. 4 bottles of swill was over the top.

And so it was excellent.

Amen
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Please do not confuse "in recovery" with "slacking."
While the host can confirm, we finished more wine than EVAR - there was barely a few gotas left from the 36-ish bottles, and the remaining crowd was essentially evicted from the room at 1130pm for an event that started at 630.
in recovery is about right ... @ the JFK Skyclub right now waiting for my flight back to Boston
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:31 am

IMHO, YMMV, the list is getting better and better every year (I uploaded the updated list, but I believe I miss two bottles Anna brought and maybe something else).
On the champagnes list, I had two-three new surprises... 2006 Larmandier-Bernier (nice long bubbles) , 2008 Franck Bonville (can't believe I did not try it before), and the Pierre Péters were giving very good fight to the 2002 Paillard, which is still my COTN. The '08 Paillard needs more time. I'd be the first one to admit. Still young. '04 House of Arras was interesting, tasteful, enjoyable but the taste was different from all other champagnes. It was interesting to see the grape variation. Second time I had the Cava and it is always a pleasant refreshing. For the rest of the notes on bubbles I'd would differ to Sir Champagne cfischer

I will later type in my short notes, but in the meantime-
memorable ones were--
Whites: '10 Dehlinger (surprise!), '11 Kosta, '07 Altamura and the '11 Donkey.
Dead on arrival: '90 riesling (great color, dead grapes)

In the PN flights there was a dispute in our table regarding the '08 Failla Occidenta. Some claimed it's too light. I found it to be a very nice and enjoyable wine, that fits also larger crowds. Better fit for the warmer days to come than full bodied cabs. '06 Wild Hog was an interesting and nice surprise.
The cab flights were amazing, but the winners for me were '04 Anderson's Conn Valley and '05 Sterling. The '04 cut it a bit above, but it was by points, not a definite ruling. The '04 ACV won for me over the '10 ACV, again-different blend, still...
Gaucho100K--THUMBS UP for the malbec flight, I think the order in which they were served was perfect. For me the winner was the '09 Rutini Antologia but again- it was by points (and affected by tasting so many wines by that point... I would like a re-run just for those four).

Okay, better get back to the projects, will type in my notes later. Once again, I think it was da best wineDO list again, [almost]everything was drinkable and enjoyable. Wish there was time to split the evening into two nights so I can actually take more time to test and enjoy the grapes. By a certain point in the evening it was nearly impossible to taste anything new...
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

And so it was excellent.

Amen
Amen.

Apparently the weight I lost over the last year took a significant portion of my alcohol tolerance with it. Fortunately FlyinHawaiian has excellent drunk wife handling skills. Still, I will need to do some training before the next event.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
As a newcomer to the Do, I'm really honored to see that two of the wines I brought made it to DLRoads' list. Although we disagreed on the 2007 Sauvignon Blanc - we do seem to have some good taste in common. And I also echo the fantastic job Gaucho100K did in presenting those Malbecs. If only we had time/patience to do that to every wine - but I digress.

EasyBay1K - next time I'm in Berkeley/SF, you and I are visiting D&G. Wow.

HPN-HRL and dhammer53 - let's plot a New Jersey do. Over some wine. And I won't come dressed as waitstaff this time.

I have some offline follow-ups to make with the very interesting folks at my table. I have a feeling I'll be joining a lot of new dinner/wine conversations in the next year.

Ajay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.