Search

Belgian Beer Festival DO IV in BRU, April 26-27, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Belgian Beer Festival DO IV in BRU, April 26-27, 2014

It's that time again. A number of us went to BRU the last three years for the ZBF, the biggest beer festival in Belgium. Belgian beers are considered perhaps the best in the world and we had excellent visits.

ZBF 2014 is coming the last weekend of April: http://www.zbf.be/index.php?lang=UK&page=1 You can see there the amazing beer list from last year. It's in Leuven in an top-notch non-smoking convention hall, a short train/shuttle commute from BRU.

Previous years' threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...il-2013-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...be-longer.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...rch-1-8-a.html

KMA26 and I are staying at the Renaissance Brussels Hotel, Rue du Parnasse 19, very near Luxembourg train station. The management knows us well and has been very hospitable. Walking distance to one of the best frites stands in the city! Rooms as low as 69 Euro on weekends, last I checked. There is a decent-looking Radisson Blu around the corner.

We are going a few days ahead and will likely head west for a bit and visit some breweries and famous beer restaurants/sites. Please join us. Probably the cafe at Westvleteren (many consider the best beer in the world), St. Bernardus (with a great B&B next door), De Struise, and De Heeren van Liedekircke (best beer restaurant in the world; amazing and not to be missed if you have the chance). Google those for details.

The last 2 years, on the Wednesday before ZBF, there has been held the "Great Belgian Beer Dinner." Spectacular food/beer combos. 99 Euros, but about 8-9 courses and one of the best meals you will ever have. polkacat went in 2013 and told me it lasted 7 hours! EDIT 1/24/14: polkacat found a Facebook post confirming the evening of April 23 for this event. Full details to come about 2/7/14.

Links:

Video 2013 in Dutch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoLqXx_iG4I
Video 2012: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqiJlHqWEq4
2013 info including menus: http://www.lekkervlaanderen.be/reservation.htm

On Fri. April 25 the "Night of Great Thirst" will be held in Eizeringen, about 45 minutes by bus from BRU. This is held every 2 years and features lambics/gueuzes, the famous sour Belgian beers. Some of us went in 2012 and are returning for sure. Link about 2012: http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/50675

If you only want to devote 1-2 days to beer, April 26 in Amsterdam is "King's Day," the inaugural installment of the annual monarch's birthday festival replacing the famous "Queen's Day" in Amsterdam. You can get from BRU to AMS and v.v. by train easily. Several of our previous attendees went to "Queen's Day." http://www.iamsterdam.com/en-GB/expe...y-in-amsterdam

If you'd like to join us in BRU, or might do so, please comment in this thread. Thanks.

Attending

toomanybooks
KMA26
polkacat
Michilander + 1
arollins + 1
richtravels

Probably

AFAM-DFW + 1

Maybe

FredEX17
mecabq

Last edited by toomanybooks; Feb 1, 2014 at 3:48 pm
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:22 am

Please put me and my wife as a probably for the BRU-AMS combo.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
Please put me and my wife as a probably for the BRU-AMS combo.
Looking forward to seeing you!
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA
Definitely interested although it'll have to be a quick trip for me - Night of the Great Thirst & ZBF only.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by polkacat
Definitely interested although it'll have to be a quick trip for me - Night of the Great Thirst & ZBF only.
Excellent, let us know one way or another.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:00 pm

Maybe for now... Very interested, but need to work datesl out. Thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FredEX17
Maybe for now... Very interested, but need to work datesl out. Thanks!
Terrific, let us know. Thanks.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:03 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I had great, albeit short, times the last two years -- thanks especially to toomanybooks and KMA26 for your hospitality.

Please put me as a maybe; I would like to try Westvleteren and the "Great Belgian Beer Dinner" (if it happens) this year.

I stayed two years ago at Martin's Klooster, a nice boutique hotel in Leuven, the only downside of which (aside from no points of course) is that the location is not great for ZBF. Last year the Novotel right at the Leuven train station was perfect (though also no points in any program of use to me).

Thanks again for organizing.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mecabq
I had great, albeit short, times the last two years -- thanks especially to toomanybooks and KMA26 for your hospitality.

Please put me as a maybe; I would like to try Westvleteren and the "Great Belgian Beer Dinner" (if it happens) this year.

I stayed two years ago at Martin's Klooster, a nice boutique hotel in Leuven, the only downside of which (aside from no points of course) is that the location is not great for ZBF. Last year the Novotel right at the Leuven train station was perfect (though also no points in any program of use to me).

Thanks again for organizing.
Looking forward to seeing you again. Hope you can stay longer this time.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: AA
You can move me to the Definite column, please. Not sure yet which day I will arrive but I will be there!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by polkacat
You can move me to the Definite column, please. Not sure yet which day I will arrive but I will be there!
The Cat is back!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

KMA26 and I are discussing maybe Antwerp for the Thurs right before the festivities. Hoping to hit the Kulminator, one of the great beer bars of the world.

I am HH Diamond and we are considering the Antwerp Hilton.

For Wed. night, undecided. Probably wherever the Great Belgian Beer Dinner is held, assuming it comes off again.

Last time he and I bought and shared a 10-ride pass on the Belgian train system. 74 Euro for 10 one-ways from anywhere to anywhere in Belgium. You can have as many people on the pass as you have rides remaining. Great deal!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
KMA26 and I are discussing maybe Antwerp for the Thurs right before the festivities. Hoping to hit the Kulminator, one of the great beer bars of the world.
Friendly advice: if you want to go to Kulminator make sure you get there early (around opening time, 17h IIRC) as the place is small and fills up pretty quickly.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malmostoso
Friendly advice: if you want to go to Kulminator make sure you get there early (around opening time, 17h IIRC) as the place is small and fills up pretty quickly.
Yes, thanks. Also make sure it's open, a failure on our part last time we went.

Hope you can join us for part of the time.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Hope you can join us for part of the time.
I find Zythos too crowded so I won't be joining for that, but I definitely will go to the Night of the Great Thirst. Closer to the date we can arrange how to meet!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.