Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Around the World in 5 Boroughs: Join Us!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Around the World in 5 Boroughs: Join Us!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Nearly 4 years into the 'Around the World in 5 Boroughs' project, we've still only dined in 4 boroughs. That changes Friday night, February 3, when we'll trek out to Staten Island, a mysterious place just off the coast of the mainland, to enjoy the cuisine of another exotic island - Sri Lanka. Apparently there's a significant enclave there - the largest Sri Lankan population in the city, believe it or not.

I still need to settle on a location (suggestions welcome!), but will do my best to find something near the ferry terminal or the SIRR so the commute from Manhattan won't be too tough. More details soon.

Last edited by thewayofthefuture; Jan 23, 2017 at 9:11 am
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Sri Lanka

I went out to Staten Island over the weekend and have settled on Lakruwana for our Sri Lanka meal. They offer a lunch buffet on the weekends so I'm going to do this on Sunday afternoon (February 5) rather than Friday night as originally planned.

I'm planning to take the noon ferry and then it's 2 stops on the SIR, ~1.5 mile walk, or a quick uber ride to the restaurant in Stapleton. I should be there around 1:00, but it's a buffet, so come as you please.

Pete Wells NYT review from 2013: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/di...en-island.html

Hope to see you guys there!

Last edited by thewayofthefuture; Jan 31, 2017 at 9:01 am
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Next: Come enjoy the flavors of Yemen (while you can) tomorrow night, Saturday 3/11, at Queen Sheeba on W 141st St(map) (Yelp)

Coming soon: Moldova
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Speaking of Flushing, I really wanted to go back to Mulan for Chinese food; but found out they're closed for renovations. This is the 2nd time I've struck out. Previously, they were closed for a private party. Hopefully, 3rd times a charm.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Yemen food is yummi... too bad I cannot join.^
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Is next Around The World dinner scheduled, and any chance of a midweek dinner? I'm getting hungry
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by heffa
Is next Around The World dinner scheduled, and any chance of a midweek dinner? I'm getting hungry
We just did Moldova a couple weeks back, and Iran is up next. Haven't picked a restaurant/date just yet though - sometimes before the end of the month hopefully. Midweek is tough but not impossible; I'll try to plan one or two during the week as the weather warms up a bit.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by thewayofthefuture
We just did Moldova a couple weeks back, and Iran is up next.
Moldova seems nice. I must have missed it. I only see it mentioned in post #633 (together with Yemen) and nothing on post #1 and #2 or on the sticky page. Is there another thread?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by heffa
Moldova seems nice. I must have missed it. I only see it mentioned in post #633 (together with Yemen) and nothing on post #1 and #2 or on the sticky page. Is there another thread?
Nope this is the only thread. There was quite a bit of offline demand for Moldova, so I wasn't going to have any extra space. Untimately it rained and we had some cancelations but it was too late to post at that point.

I'm away this weekend but plan to location scout and lock down a spot for the Iran dinner next week. Anyone have suggestions?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by thewayofthefuture
I'm away this weekend but plan to location scout and lock down a spot for the Iran dinner next week. Anyone have suggestions?
One of my Persian colleagues recommends the Persepolis Restaurant on Upper East. It's even bookable with Open Table.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Persepolis was also recommended to me this weekend. I'm going to run by there in a few minutes and see if they can accommodate us this Friday night 4/28, as monitor and frantic will be in town.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Thank you sir. We will be In town and are planning to join the group on Friday night.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Reservation at Persepolis (1407 2nd Av, between 73rd & 74th) is for 10 people at 8:00pm on Friday April 28. They can accommodate a few more if demand is higher than that in time to let them know by Wednesday.

Dinner is a $40 prix fixe ($45 with dessert). Full bar is available and corkage is $20/bottle if you care to bring something from home.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by monitor
Thank you sir. We will be In town and are planning to join the group on Friday night.
I'd like to join you and thewayofthefuture on Friday, but I'm blowing the budget on a wine dinner the night before.

Since my wife retired ... she's watching the pennies.

dh
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I'd like to join you and thewayofthefuture on Friday, but I'm blowing the budget on a wine dinner the night before.

Since my wife retired ... she's watching the pennies.

dh
Understood, hope to see you at #46 then

Plenty of seats open for Iran - anyone else here interested?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.