Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horse & Bourbon Do III - April 5-7, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
Working on the Horse end of business:

Friday afternoon I'll be going to the Three Chimney's Horse Farm tour( http://www.threechimney.com/visitors-fans/ ). Cost is 10.00 per person and it begins at 1pm. I highly recommend it if you can make it. IF YOU WANT TO GO YOU'LL NEED TO CALL: Sue at Three Chimney's Farm to purchase your ticket(s). 859.873.7053 during normal business hours. I cannot stress this enough: CALL AS SOON AS YOU KNOW AS THIS TOUR WILL FILL UP IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS. There are about 15 spaces left and those will go quickly as our group calls in. Others are after these spaces as well. Please call as soon as you know.

Saturday morning:

6 am at Keeneland to visit with a famous horse trainer and watch their barn in action. We'll see real live training and how the backside at the track works. If you love horse racing and have never seen this - I know it's early - but you'll want to be at this. (I'm still working out the details, so this is a bit tentative).

8 am we'll have breakfast at the Keeneland track kitchen. We'll most likely see some of the best and most famous trainers in the world there. Good food, too.

9 am We'll tour Glendridge Mare Farm. They work with mares and babies and we'll see plenty of both. I have a mare there who is in foal and could give birth while we in Lexington. If she does foal - no matter what time day or night - I will go there. Anyone who would like to see a foal being born can come along.

Noon - we'll turn it over to Sweet Willie for the Bourbon Tours.

This is going to be a great weekend.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I'm confused... I thought we were going to the races at Keeneland on either Friday or Saturday? I may have to fly out on the SDF-BWI at 7:40am Sunday. But I'm trying to arrange some meetings in Frankfort on that Thursday, in which case I guess I'll just go to the races on Friday by myself.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I'm confused... I thought we were going to the races at Keeneland on either Friday or Saturday? I may have to fly out on the SDF-BWI at 7:40am Sunday. But I'm trying to arrange some meetings in Frankfort on that Thursday, in which case I guess I'll just go to the races on Friday by myself.
Sorry, Nick. Willie is in the process of reworking the schedule. The Three Chimney's tour is about 1.5 hours and if you are going to the races Friday I will meet you there. Could probably be there by 3 or a little before midway through the card. Willie and those coming down from Chicago won't be in town until about 4 or so on Friday. At least that's what I'm hearing.

I'm getting to Lexington on Thursday late afternoon. So anyone who is in town .. well, we can all hook up and have dinner.

Sweet Willie.. want to post an updated schedule?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:49 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I'm confused... I thought we were going to the races at Keeneland on either Friday or Saturday?
Nothing is/has been locked in stone.

Friday is out for the races for a number of folks.

Saturday afternoon for the races could work if we switch attending the races on Sunday afternoon to Saturday and attend some distilleries on Sunday after brunch & in the afternoon.

That is why I sent out the PM, trying to determine what works for the most people. SO EVERYONE PLANNING ON ATTENDING, LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD !
Old Mar 5, 2013, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Nothing is/has been locked in stone.
Ok. I should know my schedule by the end of next week. WN to SDF is ridiculously expensive and my first batch of Avios hasn't posted yet, so if work doesn't subsidize the trip I'm probably driving.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by mile ho
Working on the Horse end of business:

Friday afternoon I'll be going to the Three Chimney's Horse Farm tour( http://www.threechimney.com/visitors-fans/ ). Cost is 10.00 per person and it begins at 1pm. I highly recommend it if you can make it. IF YOU WANT TO GO YOU'LL NEED TO CALL: Sue at Three Chimney's Farm to purchase your ticket(s). 859.873.7053 during normal business hours. I cannot stress this enough: CALL AS SOON AS YOU KNOW AS THIS TOUR WILL FILL UP IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS. There are about 15 spaces left and those will go quickly as our group calls in. Others are after these spaces as well. Please call as soon as you know.

Saturday morning:

6 am at Keeneland to visit with a famous horse trainer and watch their barn in action. We'll see real live training and how the backside at the track works. If you love horse racing and have never seen this - I know it's early - but you'll want to be at this. (I'm still working out the details, so this is a bit tentative).

8 am we'll have breakfast at the Keeneland track kitchen. We'll most likely see some of the best and most famous trainers in the world there. Good food, too.

9 am We'll tour Glendridge Mare Farm. They work with mares and babies and we'll see plenty of both. I have a mare there who is in foal and could give birth while we in Lexington. If she does foal - no matter what time day or night - I will go there. Anyone who would like to see a foal being born can come along.

Noon - we'll turn it over to Sweet Willie for the Bourbon Tours.

This is going to be a great weekend.
A great weekend indeed....Sounds like a wonderful time in Ky....

I am trying to attend again this year. Hopefully the stars will align. I give it 50/50 chance at the moment....
Old Mar 6, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
I should be able to make it in time for 3 Chimneys on Friday. Will have to see how early I can get up Saturday morning though!

I cannot make it to Sunday afternoon events, but do plan to have breakfast at Stella's before I leave.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:48 am

Only 10 spots left on the Three Chimney's Tour for Friday April 5, 1pm. See earlier post for instructions on how to do so.

If you want to go please reserve your spot asap.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I've got a reservation for 2 for the 1 PM tour on Friday. We'll see you then!
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We are definitely in but cannot get there until about 6PM on Friday.

We will be driving from SDF about 4PM, returning on Sunday after the races, and will have room for riders in either direction.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I think it only right that we all pitch in for the ingredients that Sweet Willie is buying for the Sat. night reception/cookout. Chicken, etc. He should not have to shoulder that.

$5 a head ought to cover it (right Willie?); what do you say, all?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Grandstand Seating at Keenland

Hi there,

I am new to the DO, and unsure how people have handled seating at Keenland. General Admission is $5 and just another $5 for Reserved Grandstand Seating. I actually like the Reserved Seating, seems that there are scatterd seats available for Saturday, while better availability for Sunday. Once we know our date for Racing, this may be an option I will select. See here:

https://tickets.keeneland.com/Online...ode=Keeneland3

Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I think it only right that we all pitch in for the ingredients that Sweet Willie is buying for the Sat. night reception/cookout. Chicken, etc. He should not have to shoulder that.

$5 a head ought to cover it (right Willie?); what do you say, all?
What? Willie is not HOSTING? I dont want to go then Of course, I am happy to contribute ( whatever the cost may be.. )
Those Korean Pickles come from a deep rooted Family recipe..
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:31 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by monitor
We are definitely in ...
Originally Posted by iris30
We'll see you then!
excellent that you guys can make it^

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Hi there,

I am new to the DO, and unsure how people have handled seating at Keenland. General Admission is $5 and just another $5 for Reserved Grandstand Seating. I actually like the Reserved Seating, seems that there are scatterd seats available for Saturday, while better availability for Sunday. Once we know our date for Racing, this may be an option I will select. See here:

https://tickets.keeneland.com/Online...ode=Keeneland3

Thanks and Safe Travels
nice catch, I'm thinking that due to our extensive Keeneland track event(s) on Sat morning & the fact that due to the insight of Flying Machine's effort I would expect crowds to be greater on Saturday, I'd say going to the races on Sunday would be a better time to go.
Originally Posted by toomanybooks

$5 a head ought to cover it (right Willie?)
I'd say $5 should be fine, I'm hoping to get costs as low as possible. Thanks for bringing this up.
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
What? Willie is not HOSTING? I dont want to go then Of course, I am happy to contribute ( whatever the cost may be.. )
Those Korean Pickles come from a deep rooted Family recipe..
I'd like to know which family as they are tasty !!
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I like the thinking of both Flying Machine and Sweet Willie. Reserved seats are a good idea and Sunday seems to be the better day to go to the races.

IMO Sunday is best since it gives everyone who is leaving Sunday afternoon or evening a chance to get to the airport or up the road at whatever time necessary without having to miss the entire event.

It also will be good for us to get reserved seats together so that we keep meeting as we come and go around the track.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.