Aug. 25 ORD-area dinner with Captain Denny: Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aug. 25 ORD-area dinner with Captain Denny: Jason Dahl Scholarship Fund

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Capt Denny
Just heard from American Airlines Capt John Lohmar. He owns the T-6 and will be my +1. John will be staying at the Rennisance so don't let him get lost on the way to Shoeless Joes'. His brother, Flyer Talk sign "Capt Dan" will be posting race footage from Capt John's racing career at the Reno Air Races. Capt John will answer all your questions on the T-6.

Capt Denny
Here's the link to the video Capt Denny mentioned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM-M8k9L9Uc

I put together this video in 2010. Take a look at it before the dinner so you can see what a day at the Reno Air Races is like - fun! We were trying to show it at the dinner, but logistically it is difficult to pull off. This is the first video I ever did, and little did I know at the time, it has become an involved hobby of mine.

John has raced his T-6 "Radial Velocity" each year since 2007. He has improved his finishing results each year he has raced, and has qualified in the Gold class (the fastest of three classes) the past three years.

John will be at the dinner in Chicago on the 25th and can talk more about racing in Reno. Last year we teamed up with FlyerTalk to help raise money for the Jason Dahl Scholarship fund. In addition to having a very successful fund-raising drive, the race team was grateful to receive great publicity on the FlyerTalk forum and Facebook and we now display the FlyerTalk logo on the airplane during the races. We are looking forward to another great year at the races and raising money for the scholarship fund. I am hoping to make a new race team video this year in which we will show the FlyerTalk logo.

Looks like it's going to be another good get-together in Chicago this weekend. I am still hoping to be there, but I won't know until the day of since I am scheduled to be on call.

Standby for some pix of the FlyerTalk logo on the airplane.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:35 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
pretzel roll for no extra charge on the burgers@:-)
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:23 pm

Based on google maps, it looks like the venue is within walking distance of the O'Hare Transfer Metra station. Does anyone familiar with this area know if that is true?

Just realized this is post #180 (and it only took me seven years) --- is 180 still the cut off for access to omni?

Last edited by WanderLuster; Aug 23, 2012 at 12:38 pm
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by WanderLuster
Based on google maps, it looks like the venue is within walking distance of the O'Hare Transfer Metra station. Does anyone familiar with this area know if that is true?

Just realized this is post #180 (and it only took me seven years) --- is 180 still the cut off for access to omni?
I'd guess it is something like 1/2 mile.

I don't know if there are sidewalks and crosswalks though. You can probably walk through the office and hotel parking lots on the east side of Mannheim Road (check out the satellite view of google maps).

Crossing Mannheim and Higgins might be challenging.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 4:07 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I think she can run fast, so no problem^
Originally Posted by WanderLuster
and coupon connection@:-)
Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Confirming

Too many Books : Please move me to confirm column. Thanks.

If someone needs a ride to the venue from train, bus, hotel or airport let me know NOW. Also do not know bus train stuff so do be specific. Return maybe iffy depending on times ! Send me a PM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I'd guess it is something like 1/2 mile.

I don't know if there are sidewalks and crosswalks though. You can probably walk through the office and hotel parking lots on the east side of Mannheim Road (check out the satellite view of google maps).

It is an easy walking distance. The problem is, that particular Metra line does not run on weekends.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by legalalien
It is an easy walking distance. The problem is, that particular Metra line does not run on weekends.
One can still take the blue line, the airtrain, and the bus to the F lot. It sounds difficult but it isn't.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
One can still take the blue line, the airtrain, and the bus to the F lot. It sounds difficult but it isn't.
I think Blue Line + Sheraton Gateway Suites or HI Express Suites/Best Western shuttle might work better.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by legalalien
I think Blue Line + Sheraton Gateway Suites or HI Express Suites/Best Western shuttle might work better.
You are correct.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 9:46 pm

I just talked to Captain John, he's looking forward to the dinner and meeting everyone. It's looking better for me, but still too close to call. Standby for a few pix. I am figuring out how to post them right now.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:04 pm

FlyerTalk logo on Radial Velocity

Flyer Talk logo 1 by DLohmar07, on Flickr

Last edited by Captain Dan; Aug 23, 2012 at 10:13 pm Reason: trying to post picture from flickr
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:16 pm

Radial Velocity Getting ready to race in T-6 Gold class

[IMG] IMG_2556 by DLohmar07, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:20 pm

Radial Velocity 2011 Reno Air Races

IMG_2464 by DLohmar07, on Flickr
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for photos!

I thought I was going to have to drop out & like Cap'n Dan it's still a bit iffy, but I'm going to do my best to make it. I'll know tomorrow for sure.

AND I'm pointing some non-FT folk to this/the fundraising thread.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.