Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R.I.P Jim, magic111, my dear friend

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:49 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Such horrible news. This really makes me sad

In my years as Flyertalk moderator, I loved talking with Jim about soccer and I was fortunate to meet him many times.

Such a classy guy. Jim, you will be sorely missed, I can't believe you're gone.

My condolences to the family.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
Such sad and untimely news. I'm fortunate enough to have met Magic/Jim a few times and learned a lot from him. Heaven gained another wise soul last night... Rest in peace...
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
RIP Jim
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
So sad to hear this tragic news. It was a pleasure knowing him, over the years.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I first met Jim (and Jerrie) at a Dus Do many years back. Jim was a wonderful person, passionate about soccer, travel, and his family. I am so sad, such a great man. My sincere condolences to Jerrie.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
As I've said in a couple other threads I only met Jim but once but he struck me as a very nice and intelligent man that I was left with a great impression of. Of course I've appreciated his contributions on the AA board for years, I wish I'd known him better.

I do know what wherever he is, he's been granted Lifetime EXP. Safe travels, sir, this side or the other.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 2:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Jerrie and Jim not only were participating at every Düsserdorf-Do, they also showed up at every of my SFO-Dim-Sum-Does (on Sunday 10am mornings at the Fook Yuen, 195 El Camino Real @ Victoria Ave).

They did also gift me and Gisela when visiting us at our home away from home at Wengen with wonderful paintings from Jerry she made from the Jungfrau Region (4 such originals decorate now our Chalet here), and Jim did honour me with an official US soccer referee coin!

Very sad we are indeed, but also happy to have know him and have shared great moments together.

Rudi (and Gisela).
Old Feb 22, 2012, 2:23 pm
DEK

I am so saddened and shocked right now. I met Jim for the first time at a London Do many years ago, he was standing outside the restaurant waiting for this straggler to arrive with the aforementioned FT hat on.... he and Jerrie soldiered on through a couple of my very rainy Maine Fall Foliage Tours...he also gave me a guided tour of San Francisco one day during a mileage run I was on...he was truly a wonderful person and will be missed. If you are reading this Jerrie please accept my condolences.

Rest in peace my friend.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Here's a YouTube video of Jim welcoming a large group on FT'ers on a boat ride at a London DO several years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jagN42Ex_4

I think this will give folks who hadn't had the privilege of meeting him an idea of what a great personality and sense of humor he possessed.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I first met magic111 in at the OzFest in Cairns three years ago and again in Adelaide the next year.. A really nice guy and great to talk to with a wry look on things ...

It is sad to find of his passing.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:24 pm
mjm
Original Member

Hearing of this now. Wow, a very sad wow.
Jerrie, my thoughts are with you. I shall go find the very best root beer in Tokyo today in Jim's honor.
RIP Jim
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
I am in shock, sad to hear the news.

Condolences to Jerrie and family.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:32 pm
sy7

I'm also really shocked & saddened by this news. Over the years, I've met Jim at various FT events, and always enjoyed talking to him. I last saw Jim at a FT lunch in January, and chatted about various discount airport parking possibilities - he was looking forward to many more long trips. My sincere condolences to Jerrie and his family.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: DM-(DL)/CO/AA/US/ RW (Road Warrior)
I am sad to hear the news of Jim/Magic111 passing.

I met Jim few times at couple FT DO's. He had a great sense of humor, great smile and energy. He and I would talk about travel, where he has gone etc. Along with healthy chats about both AA and DL at the DO's.

RIP Jim. My condolences to Jerrie and the family.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
I feel terrible for all of you who knew him personally; I too enjoyed his posts as a lurker in the AA forum from time to time.

As many of the mods have pointed out who posted previously you all have lost a colleague and a friend. I have often noted to myself how some of these seemingly distant relationships become so much a part of our every day lives in a very subtle way; their absence is acutely felt in a sometimes surprising way.

Hope you're able to support one another in an appropriate if virtual way, and indeed I hope his family is surrounded by people that love both them and him as they struggle to cope with the suddenness of his unscheduled departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.