Last edit by: FlyerBeek
next meet-up:

Print Wikipost

The DC Area Happy Hour Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:29 pm

Programs: First Time Flyer
Originally Posted by monitor
Sorry, no. I made an error. We are not there until 9/18 leaving on 9/19.
Damn... Strike that plan, our planes may cross paths in the sky as you fly down from NYC, I will be flying up to NYC

I would still like to catch up with anyone else who is around during this window - 9/15 - 9/18. (Arriving afternoon 9/15, leaving early-mid 9/18).
Old Sep 5, 2012, 3:30 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
I might be able to do 9/18, especially if it skews further west (either Ballston or Fairfax County).
Old Sep 5, 2012, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mhnadel
I might be able to do 9/18, especially if it skews further west (either Ballston or Fairfax County).
You know that west is almost always good for us.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: DL,AA SPG Plat
Definitely trying to make at least one of these. Just by skimming the thread it seems that most of the places are in NOVA. Any ventures into DC? Either way I will be trying to attend.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Our reputation must be spreading: a second FT visitor from Down Under this year is interested in meeting the locals for a happy hour/dinner. After seeing that Monday is the first day of Rosh Hashanah, and conferring with penegal, I'm going to propose a 7:00 pm dinner on Sunday the 16th in or around Penn Quarter. There are lots of choices -- Clyde's Gallery Place has a varied menu and is sufficiently capacious to generally handle groups of all sizes; Jaleo has terrific tapas (and is across the street from a fantastic gelato place); Carmine's offers decent Italian fare (and enormous quantities) at reasonable prices; Zaytinya serves Mediterranean fare; and PS 7's has contemporary American fare, to mention just a few -- Penn Quarter is conveniently located on Metro's Red, Yellow, and Green lines, and on-street parking is free on Sundays.

Who's interested, and what's your restaurant preference?

Interested:

penegal
gvdIAD
Condition One
tonywestsider

Last edited by gvdIAD; Sep 6, 2012 at 8:02 pm
Old Sep 6, 2012, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by gvdIAD
After seeing that Monday is the first day of Rosh Hashanah, and conferring with penegal, I'm going to propose a 7:00 pm dinner on Sunday the 16th in or around Penn Quarter.
Jewish holidays start the night before. Rosh Hashanah services will start about 6:30 p.m. on the 16th.

So I will have to pass on this one.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Greg, put me on for Sunday, 9/16. I have not been to Carmine's or PS 7 so I am interested in those two, however, I will go with whatever gets the most votes in the Penn Quarter.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Fabrangen always has services with no ticket requirement so I usually head there - at the NY Ave Presbyterian Church no less where I sat in Lincoln's pew for Rosh Hashanah services one year. I am not enamored with them, but it's convenient and the no ticket thing is nice. Do you have a suggestion for somewhere else?

Cheers and gut yontiff

Jewish holidays start the night before. Rosh Hashanah services will start about 6:30 p.m. on the 16th.

So I will have to pass on this one.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by thegrailer
Fabrangen always has services with no ticket requirement so I usually head there - at the NY Ave Presbyterian Church no less where I sat in Lincoln's pew for Rosh Hashanah services one year. I am not enamored with them, but it's convenient and the no ticket thing is nice. Do you have a suggestion for somewhere else?
Sixth and I is free but you need to register in advance. They have a few different styles of services.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Doh in my best Homer impression - how could I forget. I'll take a look.

thanks

Sixth and I is free but you need to register in advance. They have a few different styles of services.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Anyone else interested in a Penn Quarter dinner on Sunday, September 16 at 7:00 pm? penegal is coming all the way from MEL/SIN; let's show him a little of what DC has to offer. Also, any preferred venues? Carmine's? Jaleo? Clyde's?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Why don't we head to Clyde's at Gallery Place, 707 7th St., NW, on Sunday the 16th? The menu is vast and at a variety of price points. I don't think a reservation is necessary; let's plan to meet outside the main entrance (unless weather dictates otherwise) and enjoy the great weather while it lasts. I look forward to seeing everyone.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
Confirming to be at Clyde's at 7pm on Sunday. Look forward to it.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 5:56 pm

I am now in DC

I randomly wandered into the H St NE festival / street party today - lots of people, and some interesting things to eat!

Tomorrow night (Sunday at 7pm) sounds good. See you there.

gvdIAD, I have PMed you my cell number just in case I get lost.

Last edited by penegal; Sep 16, 2012 at 3:36 pm Reason: Geographically challenged
Old Sep 17, 2012, 9:16 pm

Thanks gvdIAD for organising a lovely dinner last night.

It was great to meet some more flyer talkers, and I look forward to seeing you all at a do or in an airport lounge soon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.